Customizable ships

• Note: The title may make my idea seem OP and unbalanced, but there are ways to counteract that, which I will state.

Recently I got an idea about how ships could be customized and every ship you see can be different. So, we already have 3 types of ships. My idea is that in the lobby or main menu of the game (or maybe at the shipwright), you can customize certain parts of your ship. There would still be 3 types of ships, just that some features are customizable on the ships. For example, some things that might be able to be customized could be the number of cannons, placement of cannons, number/placement of harpoons, location of the capstan, location of barrels, location of ladders, location of the mast, amount of rudders, etc. This could create some interesting ships that people invent.

Now, this may seem very OP and unbalanced, so there could be systems to counteract that. For example, each thing that you add to the ship also adds some weight, which can slow down your ship and make it ride lower in the water. Perhaps the weight could also be applied mostly to the area where the item is (for example, having all your cannons on one side or the front/back would tilt the ship, or not allow the cannons to be placed there).

With customization of ships, you could, for example, create a galleon with a bunch of cannons on the sides and corners, and 4 harpoons on the corners. This would basically make a man o' war, being a ship with lots of firepower, but it would move very slowly and would be at risk of sinking. You could also create a sort of merchant ship or really maneuverable ship by making a sloop with 1 cannon and 2 rudders or maybe a brig with 2 cannons on each side and an extra rudder.

An extra detail is that maybe people could create saves of their ships or "loadouts" which could be applied wherever you would normally customize your ship, so that you don't have to spend extra time remaking ships.

I may have left out some details so the idea may seem kinda op, please leave suggestions and tell me if you like the idea!

Views
1 out of 1