Difficulty and Various Feedback

• Alright, so I hit Pirate legend last week. Since then I have various things that I'd like to put my 2 cents in about.

Level 50 Missions
    Gold Hoarders, Order of Souls, and Merchants. No matter what you are doing the spawn rate of skeletons is insane. I can understand more skeletons being on Order of Souls missions, after all that's what you signed up for, but skip to my "Skeletons" section for that rant. If in on a Gold Hoarders mission I'm there to have the fun and difficulty of navigating a map to find lost treasure, not kill wave after wave of skeletons. These missions should have very little skeletons spawning during them. Merchants, cargo should have little skeletons and animal pickup should be very little. It feels like higher level players are punished with a difficulty increase that nobody asked for. Trying to deliver a pig? Sorry heres 3 barrel skeletons that will blow up your pig for you.

Skeletons
    Regardless of what you are doing you run into skeletons. Okay that's mostly fine and dandy. However, it is not fine and dandy to fight skeletons that spawn in waves of 4-6, have a 90% hit rate with guns, and often times you have 4+ with guns at any time. If it's not guns it's "here, let's spawn wave after wave of barrel skeletons forcing you to sprint away because they can almost move as fast as you can when you're sprinting. Barrel skeletons should move slightly slower than the player moves when he is carrying a barrel. After all they are skeletons that should basically have rigor mortis. It's a pain in the behind to have to run away from whatever I'm doing every 2 minutes because I hear a fuse light. Oh yeah and all the skeletons have infinite ammo and infinite bananas.

My suggested changes:
    -Make Athena's Missions all similar to Gilded Voyage of Legends. Loot should be worth the journey and as of right now a bunch of marauders and a few villainous skulls isnt worth dozens of firing squad skellies and a chest barely worth 6k.

-Skeletons should be limited to 5 bullets max just like the player but I think they should have and rng table of anywhere between 1 and 5. Once they run out of ammo they should be forced to stop using their gun and go to hand to hand combat. Barrel skeletons can do the same since as it stands if you take a skeletons barrel somehow or a spectral skelly blows up while its invulnerable it just stands there until you kill it.

-Gun skeletons need a tracking nerd and an accuracy nerf. Its rediculous to fight 4+ skeletons if all of them have a 70+ % chance to hit you. Its fairly common on anthena's to get 4 or 5 handgun skeletons spawn and all just run away out of sword range and pepper toy with bullets often getting hit multiple times in a row by several skeletons.

-also please either take the random missions found in barrels out or make them worth something. Tired of trying to loot something and getting a garbage mission to take up a spot on my wheel with 1 seafarers chest on it. Or make it so we can discard them.

Views
  • @keeperofspirits I'm PL AT10...at the moment I'm doing merchant animal quests for the commendations...ALL skeletons there are spawning just need a 3-hit, and they are very rare...so what's the problem? And also on goldhoarder and OoS they don't need more than 5-6 hits...they are not that rare, but still very much better than while an athena voyage

• @keeperofspirits just get back on the horse buddy until you’re used to riding it. Take it from a fellow pl, you’ll get use to it and do much better more times than not.

• @schwammlgott alright so I edited out the 10 combo skellies since I initially just meant those for athena skellies. Because its bs to fight 6 of those while having 4+ gun guys shooting at you too. I'm okay with skellies taking 3 combos to kill. They should not be able to eat a banana if they are getting hit which they currently can as it should interrupt them (except gold skellies which do get interrupted properly). My main complaint is the gun skellies, as I mentioned, limited ammo, limited bananas, resort to melee when out of ammo. Fixed

• @weststormborn glad to know you assume I dont know how to play

• @keeperofspirits nah, I just know how this goes. Not saying you don’t know how to play, just saying you’re going to have to adapt to the PvE pl life.

• @keeperofspirits said in Difficulty and Various Feedback:

@weststormborn glad to know you assume I dont know how to play

Damn... i assumed the same thing....

• @weststormborn I'm actually surprised at how many people think everything added in is automatically perfect and nothing should be tweaked. Things require tweaking to get just right. When ship damage is added in it's going to be added in with way to much going on and they'll have to nerf it down a bit. They might need it too much and have to add more back, thata how it works. Nothing I'm suggesting would ruin the game at all xD

• @KeeperOfSpirits Just a quick question and a follow up to boot:

• Do you solo?
    • Would these changes apply if you were part of a competent 4 man crew?

Athena's are really easy and I'm rarely getting lower level loot and I've never had any trouble with skeletons because they are really dumb and simple to beat. I can however understand that you might have trouble if you're solo or have a crew that doesn't know how to play.

Since solo'ing is a self imposed hard mode I wouldn't be surprised if it's.... well hard.

• @hynieth True Solo OoS quests are really hard. But that's not a problem. With smart plays you can do all of them. What triggers me the most is when they shoot through rocks and trees. And that's should be fixed, it would make it alot easier, and less of a frustration!

• They already made level 50 OoS voyages much easier with Gunpowder Skeletons.

Please make the game hard, not easier :/

• @keeperofspirits
    1- Congrats on becoming a PL
    2 - practice makes perfect
    RNG is what we have on the loot system and it's LOADS better now than what it was. Things always get harder when you progress in rank not easier and that's where practice and friends come to play to make the game whole.

• @keeperofspirits ship damage nerfing is found through insider not the main game silly. I’m not saying the mechanics are perfect but what people are saying above me is highly contradicting your statements where people want it harder than easier. This is expected as PLs get bored just doing missions that feel easy after a week or two of practice. Nothing you’re saying also makes anything better and only to a little extent worse. Nobody is perfect but as I said just keep at it since the mission aren’t for just the average run of the mill noob

• @chupstickzz I totally agree there. Those skeletons with wallhacks should be banned!
    I want to report them but they hide their gamertags ^_^

• @weststormborn said in Difficulty and Various Feedback:

@keeperofspirits ship damage nerfing is found through insider not the main game silly. I’m not saying the mechanics are perfect but what people are saying above me is highly contradicting your statements where people want it harder than easier. This is expected as PLs get bored just doing missions that feel easy after a week or two of practice. Nothing you’re saying also makes anything better and only to a little extent worse. Nobody is perfect but as I said just keep at it since the mission aren’t for just the average run of the mill noob

Actually as a response to this statement I thought about this today. Why not make it so that when you become pirate legend you can CHOOSE what level mission you want? Wanna screw around and just do easy missions, sure but the loot is as follows for low level missions as before. Wanna do something difficult? Choose a higher level mission and go after stronger loot. This would also negate the "Oh look a pirate legend, I bet he has good loot." And being a target. For players like myself that are more passive and just want to help people I think it would be a great change.

• @hynieth well as the game is 1-4 players there isnt necessarily a "hard mode" if you dont like dealing with randoms that never have a mic and want to try to steer your boat into some mound of rocks then you shouldn't have to just to have the game be easier.

• @hynieth said in Difficulty and Various Feedback:

@KeeperOfSpirits Just a quick question and a follow up to boot:

• Do you solo?
    • Would these changes apply if you were part of a competent 4 man crew?

Athena's are really easy and I'm rarely getting lower level loot and I've never had any trouble with skeletons because they are really dumb and simple to beat. I can however understand that you might have trouble if you're solo or have a crew that doesn't know how to play.

Since solo'ing is a self imposed hard mode I wouldn't be surprised if it's.... well hard.

However yes, I do solo. The only time I'm not soloing is when my 1 other pirate legend buddy is on and we run a sloop together. I love the sloop, brig is nice but I hate the galleon. Dont have enough competent buddies to run a galleon with because my other 2 buddies arent pirate legend and are often times either too drunk or too stoned to sail XD but hey, it's all for fun so I dont care what they do. When I play with them I just play to screw off.

• @schwammlgott thought I'd come back to let you know I did another Athena's today and yes, athena missions skeletons can spawn with guns. Had 3/5 in 1 wave spawn with guns, 2 blunderbuss and 1 sniper the other two had swords. Got screenshots too soooooo..... I think you just lost all credibility...

• @keeperofspirits said in Difficulty and Various Feedback:

@hynieth well as the game is 1-4 players there isnt necessarily a "hard mode" if you dont like dealing with randoms that never have a mic and want to try to steer your boat into some mound of rocks then you shouldn't have to just to have the game be easier.

On this verry site as well as when you start a sloop alone in a closed crew you're warned about going to have a harder time.
    https://imgur.com/T3c78B4

The game was designed with only a Galleon and the sloop was made later to accomodate teams of 1 and 2 players. It's quite literally an afterthought. Changing the game so it becomes too easy for the target demographic (those who play the game as a co-operative pirate game) would be bad design. I'm not saying people shouldn't play solo. I'm just saying that you choose to play this way, don't complain that it's hard, you were warned several times.

• @keeperofspirits
    This post keeps coming back, and it's done so since the early alpha/beta forum discussions.
    As multiple people already said, the difficulty is a matter of adapting.

Level 50 Missions
    Yeah, the spawn rate is a bit much, especially when you come from being able to slack while doing your missions.
    I feel like it's fitting that skeletons spawn when you try to steal their loot - after all, wouldn't you rise from the grave if some landlubber tried to get away with your treasure?
    Thought so.
    I get that this annoys you, but again - it's a matter of adapting to the situation.

Skeletons
    I remember it being very hard to beat skeletons back in beta, as we had no clue how to do anything.
    You catch on very fast - not saying you don't know how to play, but there's a certain learning curve that curves almost vertical when you hit PL.
    The game isn't supposed to be an easy breeze.
    Granted, the aim and firing through rocks gets old fast, but apart from that, it's all good.
    I have to disagree with your notion of barrelbois moving as fast as you do when sprinting. You can easily outrun a skeleton only to turn and shoot.

Your changes
    Athena's: This isn't per se a bad idea. Shortening Athena's a bit would incentivize people to do them more often.
    But you'd have to diminish the reputation gained then, right?
    Wouldn't a better option be that the chests would always be Captain's or higher, and the skulls would be guaranteed Villainous as well?

Skeletons: Limiting skeletons to 5 bullets would make sense. Also, where would they keep the additional bullets?
    Only issue I see is coding, as I imagine they're all coded differently - ranged, melee and barrelbois.

Gun skeletons: Yes, a slight nerf to their ability to fire through rocks would be nice. Apart from that, there's not much to nerf. It makes sense that they run away, but they're fairly easy to catch up to.

Random missions: Being able to discard them would be great, or maybe instead of just instantly embarking upon them, let us vote for them just like normal missions. That way, upping the loot a bit could also be a great idea.
    I, personally, love annoying my crewmates with randoms missions, as they all HATE getting them. Oh joy.

Always great with feedback :)
    Have a nice day!

• @hynieth said in Difficulty and Various Feedback:

@keeperofspirits said in Difficulty and Various Feedback:

@hynieth well as the game is 1-4 players there isnt necessarily a "hard mode" if you dont like dealing with randoms that never have a mic and want to try to steer your boat into some mound of rocks then you shouldn't have to just to have the game be easier.

On this verry site as well as when you start a sloop alone in a closed crew you're warned about going to have a harder time.
    https://imgur.com/T3c78B4

The game was designed with only a Galleon and the sloop was made later to accomodate teams of 1 and 2 players. It's quite literally an afterthought. Changing the game so it becomes too easy for the target demographic (those who play the game as a co-operative pirate game) would be bad design. I'm not saying people shouldn't play solo. I'm just saying that you choose to play this way, don't complain that it's hard, you were warned several times.

When the game was released it was Sloop and Galleon. The Brig was the afterthought for people who wanted more than a sloop but didnt want something as bulky and slow as a galleon. I understand your point but Sloop has been in since the beginning, and as such there should be a variety of options available.

• @keeperofspirits Nope, the sloop was an afterthought and made mere months before release. Just read up on some of the interviews with the devs. That's why you don't see Sloops in their Unity engine build.

Views
21 out of 22