Miles when not on the ship

• Okay something me and my crew mates have been discussing is if you still get miles when not on the ship.

Like for instance; let's say we have a ton of loot to sell, we sail over to the outpost and leave a man behind who is selling the loot as the rest of us sail away.
    Will that castaway fellow still get his nautical miles?

Views
  • Good question. I believe it's the number of miles sailed by the boat itself, but you could always test it out. Check everyone's miles before departing, leave a pirate behind, then set sail and see who has their numbers go up.

• It is the ship which does the miles, and those miles count for the crew, no matter if you are on it or not.

• @transistor91 I have tried testing it and I've decided that no you don't get miles if you are not on the ship. I spent a couple hours calculating just how far a mile is on the map. Decided it was about three and a half squares. I noticed though, sometimes the commendation would update in twos. I would constantly go in and out of the menu refreshing it and multiple times it would suddenly skip a number. I tried staying at ancient spire as I watched my ship sail off towards an island that should have been more than a mile away but I never recieved credit. If I had another crewmate to test it, we could find out though.

• Yes, it's the Nautical Miles that the Ship does. Back when I was still trying to get these commendations I would send my Solo Sloop sailing off into the distance while I stayed at an outpost selling my last treasure, buying cosmetics, visiting the PL cave.... etc before calling it a night.

A few times I checked and saw that there was a new "mile" added.

So in short: I'm pretty sure that you still get the miles added regardless of if you are on board or not. This is, unfortunately, one of the reasons that some players AFK on the Ferry of the Damned. Nautical Mile Farming.

• @transistor91 That person will not get miles.

Sometimes during a legend voyage (or any voyage) I'll go off on a rowboat to do parts of the voyage to speed it up but, that stops me from getting any miles. In other words, I spend significant chunks of time off the boat and don't get credit towards those commendations.

• @testakleze

Confirmed. I've also tested a number of times on speed runs. I do not get miles when I'm not on the ship. Not sure how people are saying otherwise and getting upvotes.

• @transistor91 no you don't 100%

• @steelroots55 I believe they aren't updating their commendation progress. They jump off on the island, and look at their miles which show an old number. They assume it's current. They wait a minute and look again at the updated number and think it was earned then and there. Most people don't realize commendations don't update until you look at them, exit the screen, and look at them again.

Views
8 out of 9