Insider Hot Topic - The appeal of In-game events

There have been some amazing suggestions on this thread. Community events will be key in keeping the game fresh and engaging.

I would love to a combination of PvP and PvE events maybe on a rotating basis. I didn't get a chance to read all of the responses but here are a few of my suggestions.

PvP
    Massive battle components in the world. This could be similar to the skull forts but on a larger scale. You could even create cross server events that put server vs. server and move ships to a new server once so many ships are sunk/etc. This would then allow the PvP warriors to battle to the top.

I agree that the Division and Destiny are good examples of this PvP event style.

PvE/Community-based
    There is so much potential for community-based events also. You could structure a pub crawl event where crews must sail to each outpost and drink so many cups of grog before sailing to the next outpost. In addition, you could add a mechanic that if the crew isn't drunk the ship is inoperable. Sailing around the map and stopping at each outpost in a specific order.

You could add grog races, party boat hours, fishing contests, swimming across the ocean without dying from sharks, music quests all events that would require collaborating and socializing with others.

I also think the events need to award special unlockables that are only granted by participating and/or winning the events. We have already seen that the custom skins/sails/weapons are wanted as people are selling codes on eBay.

I would like to see all sorts of in-game events from competitive events, huge sea battles and such down to little fun things like Easter weekend egg hunts, snow on Christmas etc.

I like this idea! I feel like there should be a twist on an island and have a huge skull fort fight! With a giant chicken!

I've seen most of my suggestions already posted except being notified. Asking the tavern bar keep if there are events coming up or a paper nailed to the wall telling about major upcoming events would be nice. Smaller random events I don't think should be posted so there would always be someone with unique gear and it would prompt you to ask about the journey that they got the gear from. Having a vague major event post or a riddle would be nice so it can give everyone a chance to have custom gear while other random PvE events give it other unique equipment as well.

In regards to events I think PvE ghost ships with skeleton crew would be great. Seeing a ship coming up out of the water like the flying Dutchman would be awesome.

On a side note, something that would mimic the appeal of events on a social scale would be a safe larger island outpost where gun powder is wet so to speak and everyone can just hang out. Put more than one tavern maybe a few on the island and have a couple cannons and objects to "bowl" with or knife throwing targets for fun in between shops outside. I could see a lot of people shooting themselves out of cannons when they win or lose or just whenever. There people could meet up and take on events together or even organize a fleet.

@maniacx64 I love the idea of Ghost Ships led by skeletons. It would help populate the seas and even add some ship v ship practice that is much needed.

@opticalmatrix I love the idea of events as it gives us, the players a little something extra to do and get some booty looted whilst doing it. It’s a win for everyone!

Message from the mysterious Pirate.

A ghostly figure will show up in front of the ship and will say something.
    “Im someone someone and i want this crew to go to this outpost(along with other pirates)”
    That outpost would become pvp free for some reason then after 15-30 mins after all crew are present, It will give a quest.
    Example: a pirate legend that becomes a skeleton tries to take over the outpost and try take the pirate legend’s secret. All the crew needs to defend the outpost.

Rewards: Reputation, cosmetics, title and a good opportunity to socialize and trade(not in the game, hopefully they put it)

One thing I would really like to see are weekly live events similar to FarCry 5, although hopefully more enthralling.
    Basically give us a quest to do over seven days, and if we get it done in time give us some new loot! Maybe a nice skin for a blunderbuss for killing 50 skeletons with one, or a ship sail for sailing 25 miles.

I have a preference for PvE styled events that lend one toward unique "I was there" style rewards. In this game that would likely include skins, pets, or titles.

I also enjoy events that operate outside of "normal" in game interaction as mentioned above, which might include additional animations or coded mini-games. The idea of an in game poker tournament (or other pirate themed card/dice game)especially if it makes use of taverns which are ghost towns despite their intended use, bracket driven duels with staggered rewards, mysteries are especially entertaining (just look at how lit up the community has been about your word-find!), whatever the concept ends up being I have always felt that they need to be announced loudly so players know to log in during them. I also am an immense devotee of the notion that "everyone walks away with something incredible". Rewards should be so rare that only 1-2 crews will ever have a chance to get that certain 'something' special. If a skin or paint job is added, then everyone should be allowed to get "SOME KIND" of skin or paint job. Otherwise everyone ends up feeling like time is wasted.

And no, I don't mean everyone gets first place, I simply mean the very act of contribution in a VIDEO GAME should be rewarded highly.

Ok, I 'm bit of a newbie at posting on forums, but watching some of the content on the news page, I came up with the following idea for an event (sorry if this is not the place to post this):

Racing gallions/sloops

The idea started with racing other players on the server. You and your opponent go to a spot (I.E. an Island) where you could start the race. To start the race both teams need to play an instrument of choise to start the race. The server chooses what route to take and places waypoints visable only to both crews. This takes them like the same amount of time as for example taking down a fort. The one that finishes first gets a map (like message in a bottle) with "good" loot.

The rules

• The one that misses out on a waypoint has to go back for it.
    • Rules of engagement, either blow the other ship to pieces OR make it a fair and clean race.
    • The losing party gets spawned back to starting position and doesn't gain or loose other then has been consumed on the race (cannonballs, banana's and planks).
    • this can be played ever so often on a server as a fort.

Reason behind it

• This makes it replayable for players. (and might come back for it)
    • The crew get's a chance to develope/show off their sailing ability or/and fighting skills on the sea while sailing.
    • You need to do this with other player on the server. (which is in line of thinking with the game heading)
    • I would go for it (but that's me and the fun I would see in it)

I'll leave you with this thought and hope there is something you all might see in this. :)

Goldgreedy Mateys at Rare,
    first of all i would like to say thank you for some endless ours of teamplay and adventures.
    But just only hearing you are doing a great job and it’s all awesome is surely not what you are looking to hear.
    I would like to start with a simple question:

What do you think makes people leave the game or play a lot less after they are legendary ?
    Considering how many drop out and come back for an event like the megadolon which latest after the fifth time becomes a bit boring- ypou head partwise into the right direction.
    The Megadolon: i can say say i like it a lot as it’s not pansy, and lush as the kraken – which you either could kick or make interesting with a full body and not these mouth-a-like tentacle-ends. Of course the Kraken should be harder to fight and in my opinion the Megadolon shouzd be granted a permanent visa to SOT. Let him spawn randomly into the game and make it interesting.

What i would like is a randomized riddle like merricks – filled with 2 or 3 monsters or mean skullcaptains inbetween – a special chest you gotta get ( the sharkbite tattoo was a nice idea by the way).
    Please take care more oft he bugs and freezes. It makes a great game with a lot of potential on times VERY frustrating.
    e.g. standing at merrick’s talking to him and 3 skelets attack me while i am in the convomenue and i cant get out – so i die and on the ferry the menue is still active and cant be deactivated. I had to restart the game and get back into our private crewlobby…
    take a guess how awesome i thought this was….
    The banana/sword-issue – fighting and taking hits from skellies – which cant be blocked ? but then on top o fit not being able to switch smoothly and fast over to a banana and getting killed is not really making me cheer.

The old crossplay issue: pc players got an advantage…not a cool solution.

Things that coud possibly spark the game and make it more interesting:

THE SKULLSHIP moves and has 5 or 6 captains or at least one really mean and fast captain that switches every 10 seconds in a ghost mode even by day and gives a crew or 3 or 4 a hard time to fight. This skullship is attacking ships, and wants to be entered, defeated, and getting sunk. Cursed Cannonballs and loats of skellies that are hard to fight make this ship hard to enter and many crews lost their ship and lives trying to get the treasures on there.

It is not to be compared with a skullfort. It takes way longer to take down, and it has to be boarded in order to defeat the captain(s) – the treasure is big and one galleoncrew alone is maybe not strong enough.
    THE SIRENS: add more rocks into the sea and on a buch oft he bigger rock formations there are sirens. They are more active at night – they pull the ship in close to wreck it, some of them shoot with cannons from the rocks ? or some skellies up there on these rocks ?, but they can be influenced with the skulls we hunt down in missions. A certain number of villainess-skulls used with a melody or riddlerhyme influences the SIRENS
    THE MYSTIC PART AND RIDDLEPART of this game carries a nice potential. Put more use to the skulls. After all the order of souls is interested in them and they do have something going on. An amount of 10 skulls on a ship might influence the sirens for example and you can pass them without getting attacked or wrecked. Maybe you could even use them against other ships…???
    Use the skulls in missions…the more expensive skulls can open riddlechambers that open special maps, corridors, tunnels deep down into islands to get new riddles and missions furtherdown – and of course nice new chests and items.
    This also provides the part of ships carrying the skulls longer and not turn them in at some outpost so soon. The ladies at the order of souls should have way more dialogues of meaningful content – giving hints to islands, riddles, selling special maps/quests.

This could provide quite more interesting missions – the athena quests are so to say nothing new. Just harder but thats it (several people i play with in their higher 40ies levels or Legendary become somewhat bored of the Athenamissions).
    It makes no comparison to PvP which you should improve on this game as well with tournaments, new ships, new weapons, less clumsy charactersteering.

I dont understand?

Personally I'm a big fan of events that change the dynamic of how you play or give you something wholly new to do. Something anyone from a fresh faced deck hand to a seasoned captain can take part in. The classic example of events done right is overwatch. They have seasonal events usually revolving arround a coop event where you take a team into a story driven experience and then they have their arcade modes that give new gamemodes/new takes on existing ones. They always offer something new to do or try. Theres always a new batch of rewards to earn everything from skins, emotes, voicelines, sprays, icons, the works. If you do miss out on something you really wanted then you can relax because the event will come around again usually with some new additions/modes and even more rewards to boot.

an example of events doen badly is destiny 1/2 and their events. certain events only last a week but come arround a few times each season and dont really feel that special, other activities are only available friday to monday. The longer events like sparrow racing are better for being arround longer but all of their events suffer from the grind. Every event boils down to "be online playing nothing but destiny over this week/month or you will miss out on all these rewards and in game items". So if your away or simply don't have time for all that grind you miss out. The worst example of an event is last weeks faction rally. For those who dont know you pick 1 of 3 factions and earn reputation for them in order to claim rewards and if your faction earns the most reputation in the week you get whatever your faction was offering as a winning reward. Everyone else can get the winners reward but its a lot more pricey. The real rewards last week were for reaching reputation level 50 (the max) with your faction. each faction had an ornament for a different exotic armour piece, an ornament that can't currently be aquired anywhere else. They also offered an exotic weapon masterwork (they increase the stats on exotic guns making them even better) the masterworks were also faction specific and unobtainable elsewhere. What this means is whoever you choose there are 2 ornaments, 2 masterworks and a slew of regular weapons armours and ornaments you now can't obtain. Even getting to 50 in your chosen faction is a massive repetitive boring grind even following the comunities fastest grinding methods. The "winner" every time a faction war is on basicaly boils down to which factions rewards are best in the current meta. This is all to say nothing of all the paid for cosmetics that come with thse types of events. These huge, grindy, time limited events where even if you do everything you still miss out feel just awful and I hope to god we neer see anything resembling time limited gind fests in SoT.

TLDR:
    good events: story/challenge based, new ways to play, cooperative/competitive.

Bad events: Time limited grinds, repetitive events, being forced to choose between reward x and y.

Going back and reading this thread... I can honestly say, "Rare listened."

Seasonal events would be a great addition to the game

Are there any standout examples of in-game events that you thought haven't worked out well?

This may be fresh but Skeleton Thrones.

Reason being? Co-op with other crews.

Sea of Thieves has become a very very "Shoot first ask questions later" sort of environment, and people who don't care for the event or play for pvp or griefing (two different things) can really make the experience a bad one, by keeping event's to one crew teams is ideal.

For big event's like say a world boss (say like Meg for example? ) works, as long as there is rewards past the first time doing it.

Take for example the Hungering Deep, After killing Meg once, a lot of crews / players had no real reason to help randoms on other ships to summon and kill meg because it offered no extra reward.

Same thing can be applied to the throne event, past getting the thrones that require more than one crew the first time, you really have no reason to do it for others unless you are feeling generous.

Maybe I just have salt in my wounds a bit, or maybe it's just how the Australian community acts, IDK, i'm just putting my thoughts down here.

@opticalmatrix

What types of in-game events do you find most enjoyable and why? I really enjoyed the public event system in Destiny 1 & 2 as a prime example. The skull forts are similar, but not enough required teamwork with others outside of your crew. Loot drops are important incentive as well.

Have any in-game events ever lead you to interact with a game in an interesting or unique way?

Hmm. Interesting question. I have yet to do the skull thrones but I am guessing this will do just this.

Is there anything in particular about in-game events that keeps you coming back to them?

I’m not a quitter. Until I can easily and regularly beat it I want to keep playing.

Are there any standout examples of in-game events that you thought worked well?

Destiny public events.

Are there any standout examples of in-game events that you thought haven't worked out well

The Meg was fun. But finding crews proved difficult and timely. Maybe setup a safe haven to find other crews in game. An island with a radius where ships can’t be hit and people can’t be killed.

@davy-jones-ox

How cool would it be if you took players that died during a specific time frame or event and whilst on the ferry of the d****d an event started and these four now become the crew to be chased. Once the event is over boom they spawn back into their original ship.

I feel the game would benefit from an ingame event timer and log in reminder.

I feel that most players do not come to the forums or follow the social media religiously and it makes it hard for those who want to team up to explain that to people in game.

@rivyer I agree with that one, alot of my friends have missed out on content because they are not as zealous about stalking rares twitter, and reddit as i am

@blindfoldedkaos Yeah Hungering Deep was kind of rough if you did it later in the event because we were targeted by other players who weren't doing the quest just to sink us. It can get pretty frustrating but really easy to pick on other vessels and harass them when they are trying to complete the quest.

Like at the moment I am sat on the throne on Plunder Outpost waiting for other player's.
    A ship has sailed to the island twice now and I've tried my best to communicate but all I get is an "Aye." And then I can't explain what I'm doing.

Yea, It doesn't help that once you get that throne you don't feel compelled to help others, like even getting a reward for helping someone get the thrones is a step in the right direction if they want to force co-op,

I'm just concerned that if the next limited item from the rat's is going to require all of the doubloons from an event that forces co-op, it's going to make for a real sour experience

@rivyer Perhaps if they threw it on the title screen like they did with HD, or they could throw in the bottom right like this weeks bilge rat adventure is xyz.

@cpt-1cupcake Even adding it to the Repution and Voyages menu would be a step in the right direction.

@danprometheus That would be cool. The taverns need more things like this to bring more people together.

@danprometheus I think to bring people together more there should be tavern games like on fable and red dead redemption. I have heard of the dice game before and it would be a great addition. At the moment people are still too jumpy and attack first before interacting with each other all tho these events are slowly bringing people together positively.

I would really like to see a feature that will allow crews to form a fleet, especially during events where we have to work together with another crew. That way no one can kill each other and if we end up picking up loot it will be split among the fleet. It will also make it easier for everyone to stay together in case ship we're to sink or player death so we can respawn back to our fleet.

• list item

@excludedrhyme24 Yeah i agree, giving people stuff to do at the taverns would help other people meetup and perhaps teamup for whatever event is on at the time. Or simply just have fun!

@opticalmatrix Sea of Thieves being my first experience in the shared world thing I can only speak about past events from SoT.
    With internet guides and how to's (Some of which I am thankful for) having an event such as the two events sort of gets spoiled. How? All those Internet how-tos. How to beat the Megalodon or where to find the thrones and how to best approach them. If it weren't for the guides, I bet I'ld still be fussing over it. Sure, I don't have to look for the guides, but after a bit of time one just cannot get past some clues.
    The only thing I can suggest is that in future events work out how to reduce the amount of how-to guides by introducing some sort of randomness to locations. Of course then the clues have to do the same because, heck all the answers to riddle maps can be found on the Internet.

Good luck on trying to create events that any Googler can find the answer for.

Having played a fair few shared world games and MMOs in my time, to me some of the best events are those that are completely trivial in nature.
    Take for example the brewfest and holiday events in WoW - they drag people in time and time again - would love to see some random snow on the islands in December and be able to throw a few snowballs, even if for a couple of days (hey - random weather happens nowadays)!

The 2 events that we have had so far were great in my humble opinion though - THD was enough to whet the appetite for what is to come this summer and the Skeleton Thrones has been just enough distraction from the main progress arc to keep me entertained.

I would like to see more social interaction though between players other than just joining ships together - we have achievements for playing music together and racing, but what about the drinking one? It actively sends us towards the tavern so where are the games tables, the dart board etc?

Anything that makes me do something I otherwise wouldnt is a plus.

I love having a reason to explore uncharted islands, shoot to outcrops you'd otherwise wont need to be, work together with other crews to achieve a goal.

I'd love to see more of these events but I do have to ask for something more... Maybe give us a quest to kill the kraken and get rewarded for it. Or mark an island and spawn lots of treasure on it so we all go for that island and fight.
    An event could be having a race (I think Rare actually teased it)

What types of in-game events do you find most enjoyable and why? (e.g. challenge events, social events)

Anything that doesn't require social interactions. It's always tedious unless you have a chance to meet up and join the same server. It ruins the excitement I have for a weekly event when I know it requires luck (or playing it within hours of going live, because that's the only time when there are a lot of people wanting to play social).

Have any in-game events ever lead you to interact with a game in an interesting or unique way?

They made me explore options in the game that I otherwise would have avoided. Like drifting in Horizon. But mostly it's more of a completionist thing and not about the interactions themself.

Is there anything in particular about in-game events that keeps you coming back to them?

Definitely the completionist aspect. I keep doing challenges in Forza, Far Cry 5, keep downloading new stuff each week in Lego Worlds - because of it.

Are there any standout examples of in-game events that you thought worked well?

I like seasonal things, like Easter/Xmas specific stuff, community goals (get 1.000.000 gold for the gold hoarders).

Are there any standout examples of in-game events that you thought haven't worked out well?

Anything requiring social interactions in games that are not coming with the means to support those. Give players something and they will be social. Reward everybody with some doubloons no matter if they have completed the thrones and they will continue to be helpful. If there is no reward for being social, it's not going to happen. After you did it, it's more rewarding to shoot cannonballs at someone that is trying to reach Marauder's Arch throne than to help them.

An idea for a game event we could have:
    https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/64021/mountains-of-gold

For these events that require multiple crews, it'd be great to have a way to invite a friend to the server you're on with them being a part of their own crew. No, it's not the same as going out and meeting new people like it is now, but at the same time you don't have to rely entirely on the other crew being potentially friendly. Because more often than not, they're not. Even with flags and the speaking horn it is not easy to communicate your intentions. Like yesterday I sailed to another galleon to try and enlist their aid to get the thrones done for someone I was helping. Used the horn and was met with cannonfire. Turned out they didn't hear me and I got sunk for it. (They did end up helping in the end.) So the way around is to invite a friendly vessel to your server. Or the other way around. It would make these friendly crew events a LOT easier.