Let's talk about swords&guns and how Rare should start over

• So as we all know the sword (and gun) mechanics in this game are bad. The community keeps making suggestions and Rare seems to do their own thing. Appearantly they play and pvp more than we do. For I dont know how many patches they've been making questionable changes nobody asked for. Why?

I feel the design team at Rare doesn't know what they need to do in order to fix the combat in this game. The guns are kinda alright now because they've prevented double gunning.

But who ever asked for a delay in swings when missing? Why does TERRAIN cause you to continue your swinging? You would think that hitting a rock with your sword would stagger your arm more than missing. IRL missing with a sword ain't that big of a deal. I understand your character is out of breath atfer lunging. But blocking is still a mess.

The combat is so weird in this game. Some elements are good and some are horrible. Because of this, the fights look so weird. Everyone hitting objects and lunge jumping. Since this patch everyone is gonna abuse the weapon holster mechanic to continue slashing.

My suggestion is, because the combat is as horrible as it can be and just doesn't feel right, restart. Go back to the original sword mechanics from launch and start over. You're making things too complicated right now Rare. People joining this game have to remember to hit terrain because your sword cant miss anyway. They need to remember to holster and unholster their weapon after every third swing now. They need to remember blocking works 50% of the time and that guns have a delay when unholstering or switching.

Start over. Make it simple. Double gunning should be allowed, but make it skillfull. It was way too easy so the EoR hipfire changes were good. Reduce spread on the blunderbuss. Make the pistol the perfect midrange weapon. FIX the sword hitboxes and range. FIX blocking. If I can't see if my rival is aiming his sword down, blocking should block everything in front of you. If I could see people hitting my feet, I should be able to block downwards. Make a parry mechanic for people spamming their sword. If you release block at the right time you stun them for 0.5 seconds which would give you an opportunity to swing back.

Figure out what you wanna do Rare but just start over. Start with the basics because you're losing track of all the changes you're making. The combat system isn't fluid and is full of "handicaps" and weird mechanics.

Views
  • Not much to add here. I agree 100%. They need a combat lead designer that’s got some good Rock Paper Scissors game play experience.

The thing that’s funny is it took almost a year to make changes. Their reason was that they didn’t want to do it wrong and make small tweaks. Well then why every update does it seem like your making knee jerk changes on mechanics that weren’t broke to begin with??!!!

• It's not complicated to understand that hitting something lets you continue the 3 hit combo. Please don't use IRL as an argument, because then should ditch shooting yourself out of a cannon if we're going that rout.

• @zormis Those are two different things. The firing from a cannon is just a gimmicky fantasy and has been accepted by the community. The TWO variables that we're talking about here make no sense and are anti-fun. Variable 1: missing swings and being slower. Variable 2: Hitting something let's you continue. It feels unnatural, hence the proposed changes by the community.

• @theunionjames Go back to the original sword mechanics from launch and start over. Two keywords. You're only citing the first part.

I want Rare to go back to the launch mechanics because it's basic. And they dont have to release them. Test it in the insider program. Once they're back at the basic's, they need to rethink their philosophy and start over. Right now all we're getting are bandaids. Why are they making things way more complicated than they have to be right now? Basic blocking and slashing never worked to begin with.

• @theunionjames which is why you need the launch combat. They need to ask themselves:

• Why doesn't this work?
    • How can we fix/rework this?

Starting from scratch with the same team would result in the same mechanics. Unless they review their past mistakes. I think we're on the same page and I could've been a bit more clear here. But I mean blank slating or reworking the basics. I feel the issues they had at launch could've been solved much better.

• @davidbarlow said in Let's talk about swords&guns and how Rare should start over:

Make a parry mechanic for people spamming their sword. If you release block at the right time you stun them for 0.5 seconds which would give you an opportunity to swing back.

There sort of was a parry mechanic that was in the game up until the DGE was removed. Well, it was more of a riposte or counter-attack, and used the gun, but as a result it actually felt very piratey, IMO.

To do it, you had to have sword and gun equipped - while blocking sword attacks, all you had to do was continue to hold block while switching your weapon when your opponent bounced off of your block after his 3rd combo-strike. This allowed you to not only draw out your firearm, but it would also ADS, allowing you to make a quick and accurate single-shot at your now momentarily stunned opponent.

I always believed it to be rather useful and quiet balanced - it rewarded you for having a good defense, by giving you a single free counter-attack. This attack wouldn't even kill them if they were at full health, but it always helped because it made your opponents think more carefully about when to attack instead of mindlessly slashing about.

This was removed because of how the slower draw animations happened everywhere instead of only under certain circumstances. Even with the faster draw after sprinting with the latest update this perfectly balanced quickdraw/parry/counter-attack/riposte is still not possible. I can't wait until it is yet again (fingers crossed).

• I also agree 100% about the PvP mechanics in this game with all these attempts at making the weapons balanced. And although the game seems realistic, it is true about how u can constantly swing your sword when hitting a post or any terrain. It's also harder for Xbox players to fight back in sword fights against PC players since they're sensitivity is a lot slower which they should make a little more balanced and fair for others. I've seen times where in a fight between a sword vs any gun, you can still get the chance to shoot your gun before you die to someone with a sword which could lead to both players dying when the person with the sword should have won. And I think they should get rid of the knockback from a blunderbuss when the player isn't close at all.

Views
7 out of 8