My dad is dying

• I know, we're all dying. But he is going to die much sooner than the rest of us... in weeks not years or decades. I was told not to update my status on social media concerning his rapidly deteriorating condition, that's why im posting this here.. because this is not what i consider social media. Why do I need to tell anyone? Part of me thinks its selfish, part of me thinks im just working out what I will say at his funeral, part of me thinks I really just want some form of support, as im a single man in his 30s, oldest son and current caregiver for him and my mom. i am drowning in grief. watching this man i loved my whole life, my father go like this is the hardest thing ive ever dealt with. i need to let it out. i am sorry that i did it here.

one thing i will say is that sea of thieves has been one of the only positive aspects of my life for the past few months, and if youve sailed with me at all or remember my name, know that you helped me even if you didnt realize it. Stay close to the ones you love, give credit when its due, and share kindness and love... because being nice and caring is the easiest thing in the world you can do and the benefits are immeasurable

Views
  • @dreadzepp Hey brother. You aren't alone. You have all of us here. We are a community. Let it all out, brother. You are among friends and brother pirates here. You grieve, we grieve. You need support? You got it. You want to ramble for a while in a post? Go for it. We will read every word of it.

The thing you need to do right now though, is don't think ahead. Live in the now. The eulogy can come later. Right now, you need to just talk and be with them. When the time comes, the eulogy will come straight from the heart and will take no working out.

• @dreadzepp appreciate your sharing. There is something that feels simply "wrong" about death -- we all instinctively know that it's not right, not how the world was meant to work. I'll be praying for no pain for him and peace for you. And while I'm so glad that SoT has been a positive space for you, be sure to be present with real-life people too -- the rest of your family might need you, but you will need them and their support as well.

• @dreadzepp Im so sorry mate! 😔

• I'm so sorry that you're going through this. I hope all that love you have with your father, and family, helps you through this experience, and it will absolutely be there for you long afterward. It's not easy, but that love, the good times, and the memories, work more for the positive than otherwise despite it feeling so badly right now.

I absolutely understand sharing this stuff here, given what you said, and I think it is terrific that you did so. You need to be able to let these things out, and you don't always have a place, or a listener/audience, to do so with. It's great that you felt comfortable to do so here.

Thinking of you and hoping you all feel peace and happiness in the moments when you are able to.

• My heart is with you man. I went through a similar situation a few years ago and learned so much through the experience. It prepares us for our own fates. We will all lose our lives at some point but my father taught me in his darkest of days that it doesn't mean you have to lose your dignity. Keep faith and cherish the time that's left and may GOD bless you and your family with comfort during your mourning.

• Oh man... I'm so sorry for you. Not much we can say here I guess, except that you have the support of the community. I'll raise my tankard to you and your dad next time I play.

• Thank you all for your kind words. It really helps to first of all write it down but also to read that others can relate and offer supporting wisdom. I needed a place to release my grief on shoulders who can handle it, so that I can stay strong for my family and remain positive in their presence. that is not to say we do not share our grief with each other as well, but I think its necessary for someone to put on a strong front, so that we are not all swimming in sorrow. even if its a small connection to complete strangers over the internet, kind gestures like these comments here can really help to unpackage the grief I am holding back, so thank you again.

• I'm so sorry to hear.

• Thoughts and prayers for you brother

• I lost my dad when I was 27, almost a decade ago, he was one of my best friends. It's never easy to go through but it gets easier - though the scar of loss never truly heals.

Thoughts are with you and your family at this time.

• I haven't read the responses, but I'll tell you from experience that sharing this and seeing your own words is therapeutic. I've been a member of a small, tight knit online community for well over 20 years and sharing with those folks, many whom I've never met in person, helped me trudge through the pain of losing my dad, best friend and best man at my wedding.

Don't hold back, mate. When it is time to cry, cry. When it is time to look at old photos and smile through the tears, do it. When it is time to post here for support, bring it. I'm here and I know that pain. I've got tears swelling in my eyes now as I remember losing that old salt over 11 years ago after fighting Leukemia for almost a year. The once proud soldier passed from a broken shell of himself. None of it seemed fair.

I wish I had some magic words to make it easier. There aren't any. The amount of your grief proves the level of love you have for him. You have the toughest job of all in providing for those who remain. It will try your spirit as it tried mine and the spirit of my mother.

Strength and peace to you, friend. And fair seas to your father.

• Im so sorry man, my thoughts and best wishes to you and your family

• @dreadzepp I understand.

The night my dad passed, I had just started a major project that had to be finished that night, and then received the call from my step-mother. I had to process the news and the grief somehow enough to function, and so I reached out on the blog I had back then. I remembered those feelings of having to reach out somehow, and your description of where you are reminds me of that place and those feelings.

I was asked to speak for my siblings at the funeral. In my case, I was reminded that we need to grieve each loss, and while I lost my dad, I also lost the guy that taught me to fish, and to play chess, and to read a map. He wasn't just one man to me, he was all of these men, and I lost them all. Listing the many roles my dad was to me was how I got through it, and it helped me heal as well.

May your family come together, comfort one another through this event, and heal together. That's my prayer for you and yours.

I hope to sail with you someday, and maybe in the best pirate tradition, lift a cup of grog and share the tales of the men who shaped who we are.

• Thank you all once again for your kind messages. Dad is officially on home hospice care as of today, meaning he does not have many days left. It has been a rough transition from hoping he could fight the cancer, to realizing the cancer has won and what's important now is to make him comfortable for his final moments. I often come to this post just to re-read all of your kind words, and let me tell you there is no value you can place on the sympathy of others...it's the difference between hopelessness and the belief that you will persevere.

I asked dad if he had to give some parting words on life for a room full of strangers, what would he tell them?

he said "I would tell them if life was an apple, then to take a big old bite"

• @dreadzepp Im so sorry to hear about your father.
    Death is a strange thing. The feeling of lose is nearly universal to human kind. Non of us can make it through life with out feeling its sting. Yet each time it happens to any of us its so uniquely personal. It can leave you feeling alone, as if know one could possibly know your pain. You are not alone. We are all with you. The bad news is it never stops hurting. But the good news is as time passes you will find the strenght to cope.
    I love your fathers words of wisdom "if life was an apple, then to take a big old bite" sounds like sage advice form a wise man.
    We are all here for you.

• So the old man passed away last night.. he wasnt able to speak near the end but as his last act on this earth he managed to pucker his lips and get my mom to kiss him. I could not imagine a more fit way for him to go, his legacy in my eyes will always be the love and commitment he had for my mother.... i could live a dozen lifetimes and only hope for the slim possibility to find a love a strong as theirs... he truly was a blessed man.

Out of respect for him and honestly, the owners of this forum and the people who visit here, I think we should lock this thread now. It has served its purpose and I am already feeling guilty for any amount of grief or sadness seeing it may bring to the people visiting this forum who may be just trying to talk pirate stuff.

Once again thank you all for your kind and supporting words, i am in your debt. The mods may not be paying attention to my requests, which honestly i wouldnt blame them.. some heavy stuff in here. So lets try to refrain from responding anymore, so this thread can just gently fade into the background. If you have already goofed up and failed to read this last message before posting... no mads my dude, we all make mistakes

• Sorry to hear that about your dad mate.
    Don't worry though, He'll always be with ya.

• My girlfriend has been an OCN certified oncology nurse for 15 years. Prior to meeting her I only knew cancer as this bad thing you never want to get. Now though, I hear and live through the stories of all her patients battles as she periodically updates me on the emotional struggle of helping people through treatment.

What amazes me is how much you can learn from those who are fighting this battle. Whether you survive or succumb, there is almost always something to be learned or reminded of by it. Kindness, compassion, love, hope, faith, just to name a few...

I had first read your post the day you made it and had been wondering how things were going. Most of us can relate because nearly all of us have or know someone who is battling. I am glad you and your mom were able to be there with him at the end as I feel that is the #1 thing most people fear - they don't want to pass alone. I am glad that you have found comfort in the community here and the relationships you have formed to share/express your thoughts. I am going to work on taking a bigger bite out of my apple this year.

Thank you again for sharing brother, and on behalf of all of us, we are truly sorry for your loss.

Jeepy

Views
6 out of 19