First Athena Steal - the greatest rush in this game.

• I've done some great things in this game. I've stolen much fort loot, I've sunk Brigs and Galleons as a solo sloop, I've terrorized people who were detrimental to this game, I've became a Pirate Legend, I did my own Athena; all had a great sense of accomplishment.

But none of them compares to stealing an Athena. An Ashen Athena at that.

I wasn't keen to play much yesterday. Footy was back on the TV, I was studying away and having a few beers. A friend convinced me to play just for a little bit. We did a fort, we got his crab rave cannons - Good God - and decided we would see what people had aboard their ship. Watching a galleon sail around Morrow's Peak, I had a suspicion as they fired crew onto the outpost; are they on an Athena? We sunk our ship, we tucked on the Tavern, the shipwreck but the galleon said away. We preoccupied ourselves, I considered calling it for the session. But then we decided to chase it, to test it, see what it had.

We caught up, I fired out of the cannon and in perhaps the greatest timing of any pirate ever, I dropped in behind the ship, went beneath it and waited for just a moment; they all returned for a moment and as they focused on our little sloop sailing by, I climbed aboard and tucked behind the chair. No Athena quest but plenty of loot. My mate said I think I see an Athena. No way I thought, surely not? Moments pass, my cheeks clenched, hairs down there with goosebumps upon goosebumps but there it was, placed before me was the Ashen Athena and they had no idea where I was. My mate returned to our ship down south where it respawned, I waited with knots in my stomach behind that chair, praying to Sea Jesus that they wouldn't find me. Of course, Sea Jesus hates me and decided to set a volcano off. It knocks me out of my tuck, first one is good but the second? I immediately turn my camera to see one of them approach the captains quarters and I realise my camera is off center of the chair; oh no I thought, my tuck has been ruined. But as they passed the volcano, a few seconds later the title screen for the outpost popped. One Mississippi, Two Mississippi, Three!

I launched from my spot. Down one, down two, down three as I start to hum the Pirates of the Caribbean theme...to myself. I took a few hits from the driver, I thought I had screwed it and once again I prayed to Sea Jesus to help me and he did. Two hits and the fourth goes down. I nick the Ashen Athena and bounce off the back. I proceed to swim around the back of the island and that's where my absolute legend of a mate saves the day; he arrives at the outpost and takes down one, two and three. I climb the ladder, I run into the Tavern barely missing a bullet and I hand it in. He was close, but missed it by that much.

18.5k, half a level done. My goodness, it was the greatest feeling I had ever felt in this game.

I feel bad for the crew we stole it from. I always have a sense of remorse when we steal at the best of times but this? I'm truly sorry for what we robbed you of. But my goodness, if that isn't the greatest thing I'll ever do in this game.

Views
1 out of 1