Toxicity

• I tried doing a merchant quest which I haven't done in a while, everything was going smoothly at first but as I approached the final destination, a sloop docked next to me and proceeded to spawn kill me for about 20 minutes. It was 2 on 1 and I just wanted to sell some loot. Eventually they sold the rest of my stuff and began taunting me and making remarks because they had pc's and i was on console. This kind of behavior is despicable. Something needs to be done about it, maybe being able to choose a server that even tells you the current population of other players, or player created servers with messages on them so you know what to expect when you join. Anything to stop toxic behavior in this game. It's a beautiful game and I don't want the bad part of the community to ruin it.

Views
  • I know those pirates hunt merchants :( if i play solo or merchant i better keep distance and dont make contact and watch out at outpost to be ready to flee if they come help turning in loot..
    Its part of being a easy target for redbeard and his crew of vanguards :/

• @tutakae42 said in Toxicity:

I tried doing a merchant quest which I haven't done in a while, everything was going smoothly at first but as I approached the final destination, a sloop docked next to me and proceeded to spawn kill me for about 20 minutes. It was 2 on 1 and I just wanted to sell some loot.

20 minutes? You could have scuttled when you saw you had no way to win that fight, you subjected yourself to that 20 min of camping. You have the tools to avoid that kind of "abuse", use them please.

Eventually they sold the rest of my stuff and began taunting me and making remarks because they had pc's and i was on console.

If they called you racist, sexist or homophobic slurs, report them. Taunting others isn't very nice but it's not being toxic, especially if the only remark is about your console preference. Pretty convenient too that they specified they were on PC and that they knew you were on xbox... isn't it?

This kind of behavior is despicable. Something needs to be done about it,

Yes, if it's legit toxic behavior, report it, or mute other crews voices/chat if your ears are too delicate.

maybe being able to choose a server that even tells you the current population of other players, or player created servers with messages on them so you know what to expect when you join. Anything to stop toxic behavior in this game. It's a beautiful game and I don't want the bad part of the community to ruin it.

I don't see people being able to choose specific servers anytime soon, that's not how the game is intended to be played. There might be private servers some day but they probably won't include progression and will be for community games.

It is a beautiful game, but there will always be people of all kinds in every community. There are already plenty of ways and tools to prevent bad interactions, you just have to use them.

• Who tells us how the game is intended to be played?

Rare should make private Servers soon a thing, because i also see more and more toxic, griefing players that just spoil the game for many players who want to play relaxed and aren't interested that much in pvp.

There is absolutely no reason to not grant anybody to play and progress like and with who they want, but nitpicking jealousy and egocentric opinions about a "meaning" of their gaming and progressing.
    To me this is ridiculous, immature and just sad.

Private Sessions Rare, let people choose their adventures.
    There is nothing you can or should force onto your players.
    The splitting playerbase argument is and was already invalidated.

1. This is no big world like a MMO
      You split the playerbase in every Session/ 6 crew Server.
    2. Arena is splitting the playerbase into competition focussed players and your PvPvE mixed adventure mode.

Why not have a PvE mode or why not have the possibility to setup the server like the players want?

And why this need to be seperate progression or no progression at all?

Tell me why can i have house and family rules playing Ludo, Minecraft or when shoot hoops with friends in my yard, but some hardcore gamers and their "meaning" of progress dont want me to have fun the way i want to play a game like SoT?

• I know what you are talking about.
    We have sessions where people sail after us for over 30 minutes
    even though we just spawned and have nothing aboard.
    They just wanna annoy and kill without any reason.
    They would follow us for hours if we wont try to change server
    and would even leave any treasures behind after sinking us.

Or the new type of player we start to notice:
    Attacking us, and after we start defending ourself and sink THEM
    3 times (yes they realy come back every time) they start calling us names,
    calling us german n**i player etc.

And when you report them Rare just asks for proof by video.
    Wow realy ? Because I film all my gamesessions ?
    For I am a streamer you'd suggest I have proove in my stream ?
    Wrong, Rare still did not fix the game for me neither beeing able to speak
    ingame nor hear other player ingame since the last update on 6th Feb.

Also thanks to Rare you'll lose all your supply when you switch boat / server.
    So the victim is once again the one that get punished by a Microsoft related
    company. at least no surprise in that ;)

Latly it has been hard to keep this love to SoT alive :(

• @tuxberlin sagte in Toxicity:

I know what you are talking about.
    We have sessions where people sail after us for over 30 minutes
    even though we just spawned and have nothing aboard.
    They just wanna annoy and kill without any reason.
    They would follow us for hours if we wont try to change server
    and would even leave any treasures behind after sinking us.

Or the new type of player we start to notice:
    Attacking us, and after we start defending ourself and sink THEM
    3 times (yes they realy come back every time) they start calling uns names,
    calling us german n...i player etc.

And when you report them Rare just asks for proof by video.
    Wow realy ? Because I film all my gamesessions ?
    For I am a streamer you'd suggest I have proove in my stream ?
    Wrong, Rare still did not fix the game for me neither beeing able to speak
    ingame nor hear other player ingame since the last update on 6th Feb.

Also thanks to Rare you'll lose all your supply when you switch boat / server.
    So the victim is once again the one that get punished by a Microsoft related
    company. at least no surprise in that ;)

Latly it has been hard to keep this love to SoT alive :(

Wir sind ja auch alle böse N... XD

• @bugaboo-bill said in Toxicity:

Who tells us how the game is intended to be played?

Rare. Rare does, since they made the game.

game1
    /ɡām/ noun

1. a form of play or sport, especially a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck.

Rare should make private Servers soon a thing, because i also see more and more toxic, griefing players that just spoil the game for many players who want to play relaxed and aren't interested that much in pvp.

The game was designed with both PVE and PVP in mind, the blend of both is what makes this game great and exciting. It's unfortunate if some people don't enjoy PVP, but that's simply an aspect of the game you have to put up with. There exists many other games for people that want to play in a relax manner, but Sea of Thieves isn't designed to be a pleasure cruise, it's supposed to be an exciting adventure game. Player interactions are what makes the game unpredictable and different every session.

People can keep parroting "toxic" and "griefing" all they want, but attacking other players in a PVP game is neither, unless racial slurs and yadda yadda yadda, report, mute etc.

There is absolutely no reason to not grant anybody to play and progress like and with who they want, but nitpicking jealousy and egocentric opinions about a "meaning" of their gaming and progressing.
    To me this is ridiculous, immature and just sad.

Private Sessions Rare, let people choose their adventures.
    There is nothing you can or should force onto your players.
    The splitting playerbase argument is and was already invalidated.

1. This is no big world like a MMO
      You split the playerbase in every Session/ 6 crew Server.
    2. Arena is splitting the playerbase into competition focussed players and your PvPvE mixed adventure mode.

Why not have a PvE mode or why not have the possibility to setup the server like the players want?

And why this need to be seperate progression or no progression at all?

Tell me why can i have house and family rules playing Ludo, Minecraft or when shoot hoops with friends in my yard, but some hardcore gamers and their "meaning" of progress dont want me to have fun the way i want to play a game like SoT?

Arena will probably not split community as much as people think since it appears it will be a totally different game mode than adventure, not just a bloodbath PVP server. It looks from the trailer that there will be PVE elements too by the way, so not just bloodshed and chaos, PVE players may even like it as well! Arena will not replace adventure, people will most likely enjoy arena but adventure remains the main game.

Private servers are most likely coming, that's pretty much unavoidable, that has been hinted already. It only makes sense that progression would remain in public, and it's pretty weird that this compromise would not even please you despite getting what you want.

The devs want people to play together as much as possible, that is their main intention alongside providing a great experience to everyone, that also has been mentioned in livestreams.

Keeping progression to public gives an incentive for people to play with others and not abandon public servers altogether. The same way some cosmetics and rewards are rewarded as incentive to engage in PVP, or to ally with others for certain objectives. Rare tries to open everyone's mind and encourages everyone to step out of their comfort zones once in a while.

It also prevent people from avoid challenging situations and grind too easily for rewards in the game. A lot of people play to get those rewards, they need a goal to achieve otherwise they get bored. If you give it all right away, without a goal to have anymore, a lot of people will stop playing for "lack of content" because they don't have an objective anymore. That would be silly indeed, I certainly don't see things this way, but some people need a carrot on a stick to justify doing something. If you give a bag of carrots to everyone, people get sick of carrots.

To think that players should play the game as it is intended, earn their rewards as everybody else isn't nitpicking, jealousy or envy. I don't really understand why people want everything given to them, served on a silver platter? Where is the fun in that?

Anyways, if you want to play relaxed and just for fun, I would assume loot, rep, cosmetic is of trivial importance in the long run no? Just having a mode to play in peace with your kids and sailing the seas of tranquillity but having to step out of your comfort zone to get the shinier rewards seems like a perfectly reasonable compromise to me. Compromises are nice.

• @BloodyBil

As you know me from other topics i can just reply you havent read my post carefully and you interpret a lot more into it and about my person than neccessary and for sure is wrong.

I agree Rare says with how they have designed the game how its intended to play.
    And they are adding a new mode what is intenteded to play a little different.
    I already played Arena in the Pioneer build before it opened and became insiders.
    So i allways said this will not make people not playing adventure mode anymore, the opposite is true a lot of toxic - toxic = rude speach, calling names, not pvp in general - gamers already came to the game recently because some super hero streamers show them how to "own" people.

So, if it were about me, we had no Arena, no progression at all, but only our beloved adventure pvpve mode!!!

And i was against any other modes no matter if Arena or PvE, but changed my mind and grant thise who dont wand to be exposed to pvp in general or to toxic jerks in Detail all content and progression.
    Because it does in no way make my play sessions and way to PL less meaning if they can get to it without pvp or whatever they dont want.

• @tutakae42 said in Toxicity:

Eventually they sold the rest of my stuff and began taunting me and making remarks because they had pc's and i was on console.

Ahoy there!

Behaviour such as this is deemed unacceptable and is unwelcome in Sea of Thieves.

Please report the players using any of the methods outlined in this Support site article.

https://support.seaofthieves.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360000779227-How-to-report-a-player

I'll close this one down now and let you head on over to report them.

Views
1 out of 9