Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn

• I just completed a skeleton ship battle and was sunk after I got all the loot. Half my crew went for the ship while the other half stayed and kept the treasure from sinking. Problem is, random sharks kept spawning and killed us before the ship returned. The treasure sank because we died. Schools of sharks around the megs and in sunken ship I can understand but random sharks that just appear? It’s makes the game more difficult than it has to be

Views
  • Always good to have a rowboat attached to your ship with some bananas in its chest in case you sink! :)

Sharks are the only creatures in the sea at the moment, I don't believe reducing their spawn frequency and making the sea less threatening is the right solution in here.

• @skulliah

I had a rowboat. Problem is, it got destroyed by a volcano. I always carry a rowboat just for that purpose.

• @coffeelight5545 said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

@skulliah

I had a rowboat. Problem is, it got destroyed by a volcano. I always carry a rowboat just for that purpose.

Hence the sharks. If you don't want to be eaten by sharks, then stay out of the water.

• lol seriously is this a serious post? lol calm down please no. just keep your ship alive

• Define schools of sharks when you are talking about your situation?

It was much worse during the hungering deep event and it's near as bad just after you kill a meg and I need to remind people we have a rowboat if they want the loot from it at the time.

From my understanding and experience it is a max of 5 sharks per player but on average you see 2-3 in most cases.

All that said when it comes to defending from them you can use your block to stop the bite or dodge under and around as they come in for it, any item you carry will also act as a blocker when facing them.

• @d4m0r3d said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

lol seriously is this a serious post? lol calm down please no. just keep your ship alive

This is real post. Keeping your ship alive in range of a volcano isn’t easy. Any devils roar veterans will tell you that.

• @coffeelight5545 Sharks shouldn't be random more than a very small amount. They should be tied to certain triggers like getting injure while or right before entering the water. Sharks are a really great environmental threat but there randomness diminishes them. This is a problem with pretty much all the threats in this game I guess.

• I agree. I was in the water and kept killing sharks every few minutes or so. I can understand the initial time they spawn but it shouldn’t keep happening. I would be happy with the sharks spawning initially and every 10 minutes or so. I don’t like how they spawn every minute

• @skulliah said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

Always good to have a rowboat attached to your ship with some bananas in its chest in case you sink! :)

Sharks are the only creatures in the sea at the moment, I don't believe reducing their spawn frequency and making the sea less threatening is the right solution in here.

Agreed, the ocean itself is rather empty, lets not remove the only threat to players in it. Let's not make things even easier than they are. Sharks sniffs humans in the water, it's not random. The longer you remain, the higher are the chances they spawn. You shouldn't be safe while swimming in the middle of the ocean.

• I don't mind the numbers, but it feels like the sharks have too many hit points, do too much damage, and are needlessly aggressive. It would be nice to see a scared shark that backs off after you hit it with a sword. Maybe part of the issue is that the seas are empty and they have nothing else to do - some kind of animal they could hunt instead of players would be nice.

• If the sharks only attacked when provoked, I would be happy with that.

This is real post. Keeping your ship alive in range of a volcano isn’t easy. Any devils roar veterans will tell you that.

If the volcano erupts, then move away from the volcano. Easy.

If the sharks only attacked when provoked, I would be happy with that.

Why would anyone attack them then? You would be happy if nothing ever attacked you in the water?

• @archaell said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

I don't mind the numbers, but it feels like the sharks have too many hit points, do too much damage, and are needlessly aggressive.

It's not needless - it's a mechanic that prevents you from staying in the water for too long, which adds elements of risk to both PvE and PvP.

• The only thing I don't like about the sharks is they are all the same. This is where more sharks could come in, along with different forms of attack.

A Hammerhead shark that will come in and take smaller bites.
    A Mako shark that will take an exploratory bite then come back and try to drag you down.
    A Bull shark that will grab you and thrash you about until struck by something or you are dead.

Have them appear more prominently in various areas like the open sea, near the shoreline, shipwrecks, the roar, etc...

• @vin-delanos said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

@archaell said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

I don't mind the numbers, but it feels like the sharks have too many hit points, do too much damage, and are needlessly aggressive.

It's not needless - it's a mechanic that prevents you from staying in the water for too long, which adds elements of risk to both PvE and PvP.

Exactly. Why should you be safe frolicking in open waters? It prevents you from swimming across the whole ocean without any consequences, prevents people to swim across the map and come board you (PVP haters seem to forget that fact).

You can even use them to your advantage if you are anchored somewhere and guarding the ship, swim around until you stir up sharks and they will be a nasty surprise to would-be boarders at your fort or island. There is nothing sweeter than hearing a sneaky swimmer getting chomped under your boat.

• @archangel-timmy said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

The only thing I don't like about the sharks is they are all the same. This is where more sharks could come in, along with different forms of attack.

A Hammerhead shark that will come in and take smaller bites.
    A Mako shark that will take an exploratory bite then come back and try to drag you down.
    A Bull shark that will grab you and thrash you about until struck by something or you are dead.

Have them appear more prominently in various areas like the open sea, near the shoreline, shipwrecks, the roar, etc...

I actually like these ideas.

• @bloodybil said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

Exactly. Why should you be safe frolicking in open waters? It prevents you from swimming across the whole ocean without any consequences, prevents people to swim across the map and come board you (PVP haters seem to forget that fact).

I find this is often the case with nerf suggestions. Casual players tend not to view the mechanics holistically (I'm not calling you a casual, OP), and don't realize that the mechanics that they are frustrated with actually help them in other ways.

@bloodybil said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

I find this is often the case with nerf suggestions. Casual players tend not to view the mechanics holistically (I'm not calling you a casual, OP), and don't realize that the mechanics that they are frustrated with actually help them in other ways.

Agreed, and often those nerf requests come up after 1 bad luck encounter or so. In this case, OP knew how to deal with the situation, he had a rowboat but lost it. Had he kept it, the situation would have been fine, but he had bad luck and lost the loot. That happens some times. This specific bad luck situation doesn't really warrant nerfing something that is normally easily avoidable.

Casually the sharks are anti-fun rng mechanic that requires too many bananas and bullets to deal with. They are really good at showing up at difficult times to help the loot and the ship to sink which might be helpful when you want to turn off the game and play something else. Also we just had EoR nerfed which makes them even harder to kill, not to mention when you get in water with the flintlock which is more usable now - just based on this change alone I think they do need slight nerf.

• @coffeelight5545 I will have to disagree with you. The sharks are doing what they are designed to do. Make the waters unsafe for you.

Your ship sank - Thats on you. Don't let it happen again

You died to sharks because your ship sank - again on you, don't let it happen again.

I'm sorry man but every which way I look at all of this could have been avoided by you and your team working better together and not sinking.

You lost to either the skeleton ship because you guys were uncoordinated, or suggested from your later posts, you died to a volcano. Which again means you guys were uncoordinated.

It seems as if next time you guys just need to do better.

So again, your idea is a big no from me.

• @th3xr34p3r You can block their attack? Where the heck have I been... I fail at being a pirate....

Casually the sharks are anti-fun rng mechanic that requires too many bananas and bullets to deal with.

If you have a ship, neither bullets or bananas are an issue. If you don't have a ship, sharks weren't really the problem to begin with. Anti-fun? Says you. They add a sense of danger to the ocean, you are not paddling in a kiddy pool.

They are really good at showing up at difficult times to help the loot and the ship to sink which might be helpful when you want to turn off the game and play something else.

Again, sharks don't sink ships. If you have a hard time getting loot on board, anchor closer or use a rowboat.

Also we just had EoR nerfed which makes them even harder to kill, not to mention when you get in water with the flintlock which is more usable now - just based on this change alone I think they do need slight nerf.

Didn't quite understand all you were trying to say there about flintlock, but as for EoR nerf:

It literally takes the same amount of bullets as before to kill a shark, either with EoR or flintlock.

Same. amount. of. bullets.

So yeah, sorry if the casual label stung, but once more, it shows some people pull assumptions and excuses out of their sterns without knowing how the game works, then ask for changes despite having all the tools required to deal with their issues, while ignoring advices given on how to deal with the issue.

• @bloodybil said in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

So yeah, sorry if the casual label stung, but once more, it shows some people pull assumptions and excuses out of their sterns without knowing how the game works, then ask for changes despite having all the tools required to deal with their issues, while ignoring advices given on how to deal with the issue.

----^^^^^^^^^^ that comment right there. Its so true its beautiful. Going to use that in future arguments. Hopefully I remember to credit you.

• @bloodybil In that case the sharks were always overpowered. I've done some testing to figure out what confused me, because I could swear it takes longer to kill the sharks now - it's definitely the flintlock that I use instead of EoR and maybe the longer animations.

Hits to kill a shark:
    7 Cutlass hits (3 lunges) - that's too many
    4 Flintlock hits - 80% of bullets is too many
    3 EoR hits - 60% that's slightly over the line
    2 Blunderbuss hits - 40% seems fine

The sharks take too long to kill and there is always chance to miss few attacks, while they kill you in 3 hits (almost 2) which is too much damage - especially when multiple sharks can spawn.

The changes I would make so the sharks could be more casual friendly:

Cutlass 5 hits, Flintlock 3 hits, EoR 2 hits, Blunderbuss 2 hits.

Shark hits to kill the player: 4

It's making the game easier, but considering the sharks aren't their own encounter (they make other pve and pvp encounters more difficult) one single shark shouldn't take so much time and resources to kill.

• @coffeelight5545 Failure not to take care of a rowing boat in time makes the game more difficult than it has to be. The game is not responsible for your overall sloppy preparation. You are driving around poorly equipped and negligently and are then eaten by sharks? Absolutely right.

• @coffeelight5545 the roar has gotten way easier since those days, the ones who survived those days would laugh at those who struggle with the weak and puny volcanos the roar produces now a days lol. but in all seriousness yea na, you just need to stay on ship at all times if underdeck you should be fine. if one is constantly bucketing you wont sink

• My brain hurts

https://gph.is/1cfazl1

• @coffeelight5545 the game is to hard, make it easier.....

• @enticed-malice This game is easy make it harder....

They cant win can they :P

• @jangles87 nope not at all haha

• @d4m0r3d sagte in Eliminate at reduce random shark spawn:

@coffeelight5545 but in all seriousness yea na, you just need to stay on ship at all times if underdeck you should be fine. if one is constantly bucketing you wont sink

Hey, you told the secret!

@bloodybil In that case the sharks were always overpowered. I've done some testing to figure out what confused me, because I could swear it takes longer to kill the sharks now - it's definitely the flintlock that I use instead of EoR and maybe the longer animations.

Hits to kill a shark:
    7 Cutlass hits (3 lunges) - that's too many
    4 Flintlock hits - 80% of bullets is too many
    3 EoR hits - 60% that's slightly over the line
    2 Blunderbuss hits - 40% seems fine

The sharks take too long to kill and there is always chance to miss few attacks, while they kill you in 3 hits (almost 2) which is too much damage - especially when multiple sharks can spawn.

The changes I would make so the sharks could be more casual friendly:

Cutlass 5 hits, Flintlock 3 hits, EoR 2 hits, Blunderbuss 2 hits.

Shark hits to kill the player: 4

It's making the game easier, but considering the sharks aren't their own encounter (they make other pve and pvp encounters more difficult) one single shark shouldn't take so much time and resources to kill.

Could be the reload animation that gave you that impression indeed. What I wonder though, is why insist on fighting them in the water?

Again, if your ship sunk, technically, you already "died" and the fact your pirate is still alive on borrowed time in the middle of the ocean does not reflect on the shark themselves.

If you are at a wreck, or looting a ship you sank, or loading supplies you stopped at, you should simply consider that from the moment your toe is in the water, it's a matter of time before some sharks come. Then from the moment one show up, you can simply get back on the boat and snipe them from there in safety. If you are with other people, they can help out if you have some after you.

They are mostly an annoyance more than a threat. And they don't keep coming at you again and again either, they might bite, then they circle around for a little while. Sure it's harder if there are more than one, but even if they did less damage, if you have no boat to go back to, you would still die, just a little slower.

Views
9 out of 34