Quality of Life additions

• Through the last times I've played, I've had a few ideas that I don't think justify their own posts, but could enhance gameplay:

• Location of boss character deaths should be noted on the killer's map, so when sinking a skeleton ship or killing a meg, it's more easy to know where loot might float up to, rather than a desperate hunt of fear for your hard-earned loot despawning

• I think each species of Megalodon should have unique animations or roars, so colorblind players or players hunting down a specific Meg type can more easily identify their target. Additionally, it gives each meg more individuality rather than just recolors. Model changes or tweaks would help in this as well.

• Sloop skeleton ships should be added to random encounters, just like their galleon counterparts for a more lively sea.

• Skeleton thrones should summon a pirate captain somewhere on its corresponding island, who sports a unique skull upon being killed, so skeleton thrones have some kind of use again.

• Some type of cursor should be added with use of the flintlock upon aiming down the site. I understand leaving it removed adds to the immersion, but when you use a flintlock with a certain design and then try to switch your aesthetic by using a different flintlock, it's difficult having to adjust your aim again with the barrel and sight.

• When running out of standard cannonballs, it should display your first cursed cannonball on your Item Wheel menu in the slot instead.

• A specially marked community barrel should be placed in each Tavern to place any items that you'd like to give away before logging out of the game (inspired by this post: https://www.seaofthieves.com/forum/topic/78850/barrel-on-the-ferry-of-the-darned/8)

• Jigball should be nerfed in terms of Skeleton ship encounters. I'm not one to complain about an element to be overpowered, but it can destroy a full sloop crew all too easily.

• Any instruments played by the player should harmonize with the music box in any taverns (and, thusly, more tunes should be added).

• Megs and Krakens should additionally be found roaming in the world from afar if possible, not just skellie ships. Good for hunters looking for action who don't want to ruin a player's experience.

• Customize individual sails and individual cannons in addition to changing them all. Additionally, paint jobs should be applicable to rowboats after you bring one in.

• Rowboat chests and sitting on top of the rowboat chest should be achievable with the Interact Key and Secondary Interact Key, (X on Xbox, F on Keyboard, and Y on Xbox, R on Keyboard) respectively. Looking at that target is too small.

• Pressing the Secondary Interact Key on a food, wood, or cannonball barrel should quickly grab a single one of those items, similar to the older barrel system. Good for emergencies rather than having to navigate a menu while your ship is actively sinking.

• Morrow's Peak should additionally have Hunter items, as the Shipwright has them, where the other shops do not, and it consistently fits with the darker themes of the Devil's Roar.

Views
  • I like all this QoL ideas mate!
    I'd also like to be able to wear 2 Different boots as well.
    Not just a pair each time. (I'd like this for gloves too)

@nefnoj said in Quality of Life additions:

• A specially marked community barrel should be placed in each Tavern to place any items that you'd like to give away before logging out of the game (not my idea, inspired by another forum post I saw that suggested the same on the Ferry)

You can check out my version for this idea Here if your up for it mates.

• @sgt-palooggoo Aye, thank 'e muchly! Your post was where I got my idea from but I had trouble finding it, thanks for posting it, I updated it in my suggestion. I think having it in Taverns might be more fair because it's better for even distribution (7 locations instead of just one, so one single barrel won't have a huge amount of wood, cannonballs, and bananas), and people naturally start and end their game sessions there so it's a logical location for filling up or dropping off.
    On the other hand, Ferry barrels can offer a last resort for players in unfair PvP or boss situations. It also just makes more logical sense since the Ferry is a ship. That Ferryman needs bananas too.

Having two different gloves or boots is smart too, so many cosmetics are asymmetrical so you might as well have that extra bit of customization.

• @shurthugal said in Quality of Life additions:

@nefnoj Hi. I think you have some good suggestions in here.
    The only thing that I strongly disagree with is the point on the cannon radial.

• When running out of standard cannonballs, it should display your first cursed cannonball on your Item Wheel menu in the slot instead.

I'm already annoyed that CCBs currently fill up the radial in a clockwise manner. I would like the radial to operate on a fixed slot principle (probably customizable but still fixed). I would therefore suggest to split the CCBs into the two radials we have. I'm arguing with controller setups. So LB would be purple CCBs and RB green CCBs (or if you like make them customizable however you see fit).

I like that a lot better. It sound very intuitive.

One other point. You suggested boss markers. Well, I wouldn't want that so I would like to have an option to turn that feature off.

I'm down for more custom options, the more the better! Is there any particular explanation why you wouldn't be a fan of that implementation?
    I'm always losing skellie ships after I sink them (once one sunk behind a lava rock in the Devil's Roar so I didn't even know it sank without the music que, the treasure started de-spawning by the time I got to it) so I figured that would be a good way to track them down. If you're below deck when a boss dies, you don't have to fret about it either. Additionally, I don't personally add many map markers on the ocean so it's not like it's cluttering useful space, but I can't really speak on behalf of all the player base.

• @nefnoj said in Quality of Life additions:

• Location of boss character deaths should be noted on the killer's map, so when sinking a skeleton ship or killing a meg, it's more easy to know where loot might float up to, rather than a desperate hunt of fear for your hard-earned loot despawning

Game is easy as it is, don't think this is needed.

No, I would accidentally fire a curse I didn't want too.

• Jigball should be nerfed in terms of Skeleton ship encounters. I'm not one to complain about an element to be overpowered, but it can destroy a full sloop crew all too easily.

It can destroy any crew easily, you counter this by ramming them and /or getting out of their firing range.

• Rowboat chests and sitting on top of the rowboat chest should be achievable with the Interact Key and Secondary Interact Key, (X on Xbox, F on Keyboard, and Y on Xbox, R on Keyboard) respectively. Looking at that target is too small.

Sitting should be the second interactive key so you don't sit pulling loot out of your boat.

• I've encountered my fair share of endless jig and weary balls from skellie ships while solo sloopin. I really hate when I'm cursed and their very next shot blast me off the deck and into the sea. No chance to dodge, sunk!

• @nefnoj

Some type of cursor should be added with use of the flintlock upon aiming down the site. I understand leaving it removed adds to the immersion, but when you use a flintlock with a certain design and then try to switch your aesthetic by using a different flintlock, it's difficult having to adjust your aim again with the barrel and sight.

A better option would be to let players buy sights for weapons and swap them between them. This would give us more cosmetics, more customization, and the customization will actually have an impact on how you play and open up more weapon skins to be used. Some weapon skins look cool but are ruined because the sight picture is horrendous. If I could put whatever sights I want on my guns I could chose weapon skins based on what I like and not what has the best built in sight.

• @betsill said in Quality of Life additions:

A better option would be to let players buy sights for weapons and swap them between them. This would give us more cosmetics, more customization, and the customization will actually have an impact on how you play and open up more weapon skins to be used. Some weapon skins look cool but are ruined because the sight picture is horrendous. If I could put whatever sights I want on my guns I could chose weapon skins based on what I like and not what has the best built in sight.

That's much better, and Rare is going for a minimal HUD/maximum immersion effect, that can help with aiming while keeping with Rare's goal.

@zormis said in Quality of Life additions:

Game is easy as it is, don't think this is needed.

That's totally fair, I don't know if needing to hunt for the treasure is a problem or a part of the challenge. With players, it makes sense, but with bosses, I felt like the loot was supposed to be a reward rather than an additional hurdle. Of course, the mark is on death, since bodies of megs and ships drift, it wouldn't be exact. Additionally, markings on the map typically take up a large enough area so it wouldn't be specific enough to tell players exactly where it is. It would make it easier, but the question of "what is too easy" is a big one.

No, I would accidentally fire a curse I didn't want too.

Totally fair.

It can destroy any crew easily, you counter this by ramming them and /or getting out of their firing range.

Ramming is my general strategy, it's such a fun technique, but jigballs leave no room for error at all. A single blast can be the difference between sinking, crashing into an island, and don't give you that control to escape their range or ram them. I'm not saying that the game shouldn't punish the player, but when stakes in this game are as high in a game so random, I feel like jigballs go too far.

@rayzback said in Quality of Life additions:

I've encountered my fair share of endless jig and weary balls from skellie ships while solo sloopin. I really hate when I'm cursed and their very next shot blast me off the deck and into the sea. No chance to dodge, sunk!

The struggles of a fellow solo slooper, you have my respect. A lot of people will say that solo slooping isn't the base design of Sea of Thieves and it's supposed to be significantly harder and say to get gud, which is understandable, but even then, jigballs (I have yet to have a situation with wearyballs but I can assume it's just as bad) are terrifying for a full sloop of two. If it's that bad for a pair of decent players, a single experienced player still doesn't stand a chance.

• @shurthugal said in Quality of Life additions:

@nefnoj sagte in Quality of Life additions:

I'm down for more custom options, the more the better! Is there any particular explanation why you wouldn't be a fan of that implementation?

Well, I'm also more in favor of giving players options to customize their experience. There are a lot of suggestions that get dismissed just because of personal preferences that could easily be implemented with an option to turn on or not.

On why I wouldn't want boss markers. That's one of those cases. I'd like the game to feel as organic as possible. We got the glinting mechanic to make finding loot easier (though the rendering distance could use an increase or the spyglass a zoom mechanic).

Also, for your suggestion an option wouldn't be necessary as I could simply circumvent that by not looking at the map table. So my 'objection' on that point might have been a bit premature.

Cheers!

I like the way you think a lot. Additionally, Rare also wants the game to be as organic as possible too, so what you say makes a lot of sense, and a mark magically appearing on your map doesn't. It's also not intuitive for new players too, they wouldn't think to look at the map when there's gold out there. However, with old maps showing where monsters are, it's still fitting with Pirates. Additionally, at the end of a play session, you can look at your maps with pride seeing how many monsters you've killed.

Views
8 out of 9