Microsoft account game share

• Quick Question

I own a hard copy of Xbox SoT. I unknowingly purchased it without realizing that a digital copy would allow me to play on both the Xbox and the computer. I find myself wanting to do both now.

I know with an Xbox you pick your “home” Xbox which would allow family member to use a digital copy with their accounts. Does the computer have the same option? Would my kid be able to play with me on a computer digital copy owned by my account while I used a Xbox hard copy?

Views
  • @omnipotence13 Ahoy matey!

Unfortunately, this is not possible, the Windows 10 install requires you to have digitally purchased the game.

• I am talking about purchasing a digital copy. What I am asking, is if I buy it on my account, would my son be able to use it on my PC for his Microsoft account (his pirate)

• @omnipotence13
    Yes, if his account is on your microsoft family.
    I have two family accounts set up on my computer that can play Sea of Thieves.

The microsoft account that owns the game needs to be the one to install it on the computer.
    Then a microsoft family member who signs into the computer can play the game.
    Here is a blog entry about setting it up right.

On a side note, your physical copy won't have to be loaded into the xbox anymore.
    Once you purchase the digital version on your account, you own both versions, PC and Xbox.

If that is your home xbox, anyone can sign in and play SoT as well (they don't need to be in your microsoft family like the PC)

You could even get another xbox and just sign in as you and play SoT (wherever you go, if you sign in as you, your games and gold follow you, even like Best buy).

So 3 people can play off one purchase without issues:

• Microsoft family account on PC
    • Anyone on home xbox
    • You on 2nd xbox
  • that's how me and my teammate share this game. but with 2 xboxes neither of us have pc.

i have my xbox over at her place as my home xbox while i have her xbox abd my gamertag on there.

this gold sharing thing is great though, cant imagine having to purchase thr game twice.

as for the physical disc i always wanted to get one just to put on the shelf woth the rest of my SOT merch.

but yea regarding pc just make sure the 2 Microsoft accounts are linked. it should be fine after that.

• I tried with game pass. It only allowing me to play on 2 accounts if the physical disc is active on the home Xbox. Which is fine. If a digital purchase allows more though, it’s tempting to add a third and truely test the limitations of my home internet though lol

• I tried everything in the blog. But, when my boyfriend launch the game in his session, he can't create his pirate. The launcher start the game with my account and my pirate. Why?

Views
6 out of 7