How much would you pay for a pet?

• Nothing! The game cost me £60 almost a year ago and had next to no content. I made Pirate Legend back in November and guess what... Still no captaincy update.

I have no need for a pet, as I simply have nothing to do in game. A pet will not help with that.

• @quicksilver7723 Lol at this point, with the amount of merch I have bought from their store, they should give me every pet for free. I have spent WAY too much money on this game.

• I think the basic pets should be an in game purchase of say 3 million gold pieces. That way they'll remain somewhat rare on the seas for a little bit. Make them upgradable by purchase at different levels once you get them. Example: Parrot comes with one programmable line. squaks 3 lines for 4.99, 6 lines for 9.99, 9 lines (3 programmable) for 19.99.
    Hawk locates enemy ships in 6x6 sea zones. up to 8x8 sea zones 4.99, 12x12 sea zones would be 9.99 and 16x16 would be 19.99.
    Monkeys collect bananas 3 at a time. Collect bananas and wood 4.99, collect bananas, wood and cannonballs 9.99, collects all of the above plus cursed cannonballs 19.99.☺ etc...

• @cpt-parr0t-head said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

I think the basic pets should be an in game purchase of say 3 million gold pieces. That way they'll remain somewhat rare on the seas for a little bit. Make them upgradable by purchase at different levels once you get them. Example: Parrot comes with one programmable line. squaks 3 lines for 4.99, 6 lines for 9.99, 9 lines (3 programmable) for 19.99.
    Hawk locates enemy ships in 6x6 sea zones. up to 8x8 sea zones 4.99, 12x12 sea zones would be 9.99 and 16x16 would be 19.99.
    Monkeys collect bananas 3 at a time. Collect bananas and wood 4.99, collect bananas, wood and cannonballs 9.99, collects all of the above plus cursed cannonballs 19.99.☺ etc...

Pay to win model would go over well.

I'd fork out 5 bucks for a pet as long as it was dynamic and would be upgraded over time, like how the rest of the game has evolved. Cosmetically speaking, that is. They should provide no kind of advantage.

• It depends on the pet.
    If I could get sharks in front of my ship, so that it looks like they are pulling it, I'd pay about 20 euros for that.
    But for a rat or a chicken to run around on my ship, 5-10 euros.

I'm more interested in the cosmetic armors they are going to be putting into the shop(Well, if they do that), I am hoping the Mercenary stuff will be amongst the day 1 items.

• Take my money! Give me my Monkey!

• @lethality1 And the reason why DLC's exists is because of people like you.

No, pet's shouldn't be cosmetics you can buy for REAL money just in game money.
    The time were DLC and other sheit is being delievered should be over, just like the old days. End of story

• @reapinglegion said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

@lethality1 And the reason why DLC's exists is because of people like you.

The time were DLC and other sheit is being delievered should be over, just like the old days. End of story

Nah. They deserve to be paid.

Totally optional... ya know.

• I probably wouldn't go any higher than $9.99. I would love a skeleton "pet" that swabs the ships deck though. Would go nicely on my ship with bone crusher cannons. They could have lore reasons for having a nice skeleton crewmate that just does stuff visually around the ships. When near combat he could just fall to pieces or something lol.

• It's a very good question. To be honest as they look at our community not everyone will be throwing money at them.

My guess is common non-clothing animals will be in game coin.
    Price to pets should be standard 20$ with cosmetics as extra ranging from 2$-10$. It's my guess and keep in mind they need to be fair with people who don't have$ like kids.
    Maybe throw in the purpose of having commendations to unlock

• @needsmokes said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

I'm still amazed i have played so many hours on this game this past 10 months and not had to pay a single penny extra.

I'm being charged monthly subscriptions to Game Pass & XBox Live, and that's the piece they need to break off for Rare if I'm using it on their game.

But I already pay for monthly game content, and monthly server fees. (Xbox players).

I've seen more than one game start 'the beginning of the end' chapter by heading down the P2W path.

• @lethality1 Like i said, the reason why DLC/SeasonPass exists is because of you guys.

• @khompewtur said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

@needsmokes said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

I'm still amazed i have played so many hours on this game this past 10 months and not had to pay a single penny extra.

I'm being charged monthly subscriptions to Game Pass & XBox Live, and that's the piece they need to break off for Rare if I'm using it on their game.

But I already pay for monthly game content, and monthly server fees. (Xbox players).

I've seen more than one game start 'the beginning of the end' chapter by heading down the P2W path.

So you're not even paying for Sea of Thieves at all, but you're here in a thread complaining that they're going to sell cosmetic items, as they've said they would from day 1?

@lethality1 Like i said, the reason why DLC/SeasonPass exists is because of you guys.

Yep, and I am happy to compensate the people who create the things I enjoy.

• @reapinglegion Actually Games as a service is based on a subscription or pay for cosmetics. If it wasn't for those people paying for dlcs as you put it. This game wouldn't exist or would require an mmo style subscription for server retention. What we got at launch would have been it until rare sold sea of thieves 2 or made 40 dollar expansions that gated content. Trust me when I say this is a better deal for all.

• @katttruewalker But every game today do that, and The Witcher 3 proves that when you offer a great product people would want to pay more and i would pay more for each of The Witcher 3 dlc even more.
    And games are more expensive to built ( true that most devs uses this excuse to be lazy) they want to get more income and it dosent look greedy to me.

• @quicksilver7723 Why no one have mentioned a dog?
    like the dog from Pirates of the caribbean ratty and hairy medium size.
    Toss him a bone and he will fetch it and you can pet him.

• I'm not going to lie, I'd probably pay way more than is sensible for a pet. Especially for a ghost or skelly parrot as you suggest!

More than happy to support the continued development of this game and Rare at large. This game has FAR beyond paid for itself for me, just in hours alone it would put this game at pennies per hour. Not to mention the quality of it all!

As for those complaining about lacking in content; this game will give back what you put in. It doesn't hold your hand and guide you through some scripted story, you make your own. In my mind that means potentially endless opportunity for enjoyment.

GIVE ME PETS! :D

• I just thought about it and i think the best solution is to make pets costs doubloons .
    Than they should add MTX for doubloons to buy.

That way, you can either gather doubloons by completing commedations, or just buy doubloons instead. However, you should be able to buy all the pets with the total amount of doubloons you can earn in game.

I think this also solves the argument @KattTruewalker had about making it accesible by people with a lower / none budget. Same for time-limit cosmetics..
    This also encourage Rare to make more commedations so its a win / win imo :)

PS there is an issue with the possibility to buy rep with doubloons.. That is something they should look into than..

• So you're not even paying for Sea of Thieves at all, but you're here in a thread complaining that they're going to sell cosmetic items, as they've said they would from day 1?

If you are paying regularly recurring subscription service fees, you are essentially "renting" SoT and "renting" server bandwidth.

This means yes, subscribers are putting revenue back into Rare/Microsoft.

For example, Netflix subscription fees collected are not all kept as income, Netflix in turn must pay the production companies & content providers a portion of collected proceeds, likely in proportion to the amount content was consumed.

In the short term, someone who buys the game will put an initial chunk of revenue directly into Rare. Over longer terms, a subscriber will eventually exceed the revenue of a one-time purchase, due to ongoing royalty accumulation.

No one plays for free.

I've seen plenty of games go down the "monetization progression".
    -Honeymoon: Everything is free & dandy, c'mon in and get hooked.
    -Monetization: "Aha everyone is hooked! Let's start charging for stuff."
    -Abuse: "Charging for ALL the things". Now to maintain a competitive edge, players who make app purchased hold an edge over those who dont P2W vs. F2P
    -Decay: *skulking away in dark if night, muttering, croaking, rasping.... "Rare.... I'm gonna get you Rare....... $10 for a 2x range Legendary EoR, $15 for a vibrating MetalDetector shovel." muttering muttering

Games today need to decide how long they want their DNA telomeres to stretch. Do I want a long reaching game with longevity but modest revenue? Or burn out quickly by getting at that player revenue now, now, now!!

• Personally i refuse to pay for them.

I feel it opens the door to all sorts.

whatever next emotes, vaulted cosmetics or god forbid loot boxes?

call me old fashioned but i instead believe that if you keep improving your game and adding decent content you can translate that in to sales of your game with the correct marketing and exposure.

it worked a treat for shrouded spoils.

• @troubled-cells said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

Personally i refuse to pay for them.

call me old fashioned but i instead believe that if you keep improving your game and adding decent content you can translate that in to sales of your game with the correct marketing and exposure.

Except.. selling a game for a one off price, and then still having those people buy more things they like, while improving the game, translating to more new sales, and again more potential micropurchases is still way more money made for long term improvements than single sales, and waiting around for something to stick, and more people to buy your game.

The beautiful thing about option 1.. you don't actually have to purchase anything yourself.

@lethality1 And the reason why DLC's exists is because of people like you.

No, sorry, games don't work that way anymore. If they did we wouldn't be seeing these updates and would be talking about SoT 2. I prefer the new model.

• @marsmayflower I don't see why not. It's available to everyone in game. Only the upgrades cost money. Each pirate can only have one active pet at a time. If pirates decide not to spend real money they still benefit from having a pet.

• @cpt-parr0t-head but do these “upgrades” provide any competitive advantage? If so, that’s called pay to win.

• @tre-oni said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

@troubled-cells said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

Except.. selling a game for a one off price, and then still having those people buy more things they like, while improving the game, translating to more new sales, and again more potential micropurchases is still way more money made for long term improvements than single sales, and waiting around for something to stick, and more people to buy your game.

The beautiful thing about option 1.. you don't actually have to purchase anything yourself.

No, but let's be honest, microtransactions ruin In game economies, shadow of war, mortal Kombat x, halo 5, call of duty, battlefront 2 and even the upcoming anthem.

All have proven their economies are built to push the user in to submission in the hopes that they will just pay.

Many of these companies have even admitted that not having them doesn't hinder further development or damage their bottom line, time and time again.

As much as I love SOT I really dont buy in to the excuse that they need MTX to continue developing.

The only way I would accept it is if SOT was free to play, but it isn't.

@tre-oni said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

No, but let's be honest, microtransactions ruin In game economies, shadow of war, mortal Kombat x, halo 5, call of duty, battlefront 2 and even the upcoming anthem.

Being real here.. SoT doesn't exactly have an economy or "meta" to break by selling cosmetic pets.

• @tre-oni said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

Being real here.. SoT doesn't exactly have an economy or "meta" to break by selling cosmetic pets.

Because they don't currently exist, but there would be once introduced.

To which I'll refer you to my original point, it opens the door for many more.

I don't believe for one moment these MTX's would be exclusive to pets In the long run, it would be naive to think they are.

• 2-3$ for an average joe pet.
    4-5$ for a pet with interactions.
    5-10$ for a pet with interactions that are just overly ba!

These pets better have some kind of interactions or I prob wont spend the money.

• @vderickv said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

2-3$ for an average joe pet.

These pets better have some kind of interactions or I prob wont spend the money.

Don't encourage them full stop. Before you know it they'll be selling emotes, vaulted items and premium ship cosmetics.

Why accept a pay wall, when we can send the message that MTX'S are not acceptable and keep item acquisition the way it has always been In SOT.

@vderickv said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

Don't encourage them full stop. Before you know it they'll be selling emotes, vaulted items and premium ship cosmetics.

Why accept a pay wall, when we can send the message that MTX'S are not acceptable and keep item acquisition the way it has always been In SOT.

Because I can understand that for years to come they will eventually need to add mtx in order to contine updates.. cosmetics you pay for. Why not? I dont have an issue with mtx in this game as its mostly all cosmetic lol.

Because they don't currently exist, but there would be once introduced.

To which I'll refer you to my original point, it opens the door for many more.

I don't believe for one moment these MTX's would be exclusive to pets In the long run, it would be naive to think they are.

Whats your point? Other than simply being vehemently against it?

No. There wouldn't suddenly be some meta, or economic destruction because people who wanted to buy cosmetics decided to do so.

Maybe not exclusively pets, but exclusively cosmetics.. which pets fall under in this instance with how they're intended to be implemented..

So again.. aside from being obviously against optional cosmetic purchases where is your point?

"It opens the door for many more"

Yet you don't see Overwatch for example selling EXP boost, or a Reaper skin with a +immunity to rocket damage.. granted, being rng based it doesn't change that everything they've ever sold was still just cosmetic lootboxes. And they make plenty of money doing so, yet still haven't crossed the alleged inevitable "gateway" selling boost and buffs per match.

• @marsmayflower It provides no advantages concerning fighting. A programmable parrot the squaks "intruder" when an enemy is on the ship or a hawk ( every solo player should have one) spotting enemy ships off in the distance once every 24 minutes ( a game day) or a Monkey scavenging for supplies should not directly affect combat. Sure it would be nice to have more range and collect more but it wouldn't be a necessity doing so to enjoy a helpful pet. Giving pets purpose is a great idea and a must. Maybe petting a cat you pick up heals you slowly? Do you se any of these things giving an unfair advantage in combat/fighting? I see it as a way for people to have fun and if they choose to upgrade their pet then good for them! They can locate ships a little further away, big whoop! You still have to fight! 😀

• @lethality1 Yea, you and the other 2 who answered my posts is a shame if you asks me because without you DLC and other shiet wouldn't exists but you do exists and destroys games in general, how they were and what they were suppose to be but then you came up with your creditcard and be like: I have afford it, and i would pay more then i have to.
    I wish you weren't on this planet but shiet is what is is unfortunately :P

• @vderickv said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

@vderickv said in How much would you pay for a pet?:

Because I can understand that for years to come they will eventually need to add mtx in order to contine updates.. cosmetics you pay for. Why not? I dont have an issue with mtx in this game as its mostly all cosmetic lol.

They really don't...

Lol

Views
1 out of 206