[Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.

• @fast-bike94
    But people also complain about pcs in general, not just kbm

• @blazedrake100 I think that's because hardware makes a huge difference in this game anyone with a ssd can load faster than an xbox player which usually defines who wins a fight, better frames makes it easier to see where someone is going and much smoother with the mouse and keyboard for xbox moving your mouse at 30fps looks like you are having terrible fps issues or vsync issues. Yes xbox can buy external ssds but there read writes speed is nothing compared to some of the ssds only available for pc there are ssds that allow people to spawn instantly external ssds are not even instant. So I can see why people want the systems to be fully opted out. Not to mention a lot of cross play games do this already fortnite you can opt out of playing with other platforms and stay with your own.

• @blatantwalk4260 problem is rare not adding this opt out killed the majority of the xbox users I run into 4 times more pc players now than xbox when it used to be opposite.

• @fast-bike94

Which is no longer a surprise.

The word is out there now that if you play Sea of Thieves on a console using standard equipment that comes with a purchased bundle you are playing this game at a disadvantage. You can read about it from countless players on countless social media platforms hourly every day.
    If Rare want to remain silent and inactive about it, fine. Hope it works out well for this game.

• @fast-bike94 its just a method you can use it has helped me avoid many undesirable encounters and actually boosted my win rates on arena with my crew

• @fast-bike94 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@blazedrake100 I think that's because hardware makes a huge difference in this game anyone with a ssd can load faster than an xbox player which usually defines who wins a fight, better frames makes it easier to see where someone is going and much smoother with the mouse and keyboard for xbox moving your mouse at 30fps looks like you are having terrible fps issues or vsync issues. Yes xbox can buy external ssds but there read writes speed is nothing compared to some of the ssds only available for pc there are ssds that allow people to spawn instantly external ssds are not even instant. So I can see why people want the systems to be fully opted out. Not to mention a lot of cross play games do this already fortnite you can opt out of playing with other platforms and stay with your own.

I disagree to a extent, SOT is just a poorly optimised game at times regardless of platform, care to explain how my crewmate on Xbox loaded in before me at several points , despite me using a m.2 nvme SSD?

There's a real simple solution as well, time the respawns to the lowest denominator by system.

• @needsmokes said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@fast-bike94

You can read about it from countless players on countless social media platforms hourly every day.

This is sooooo funny considering this thread literally went silent for 48hours straight since forever. But yeah. The word is EVERYWHERE. Can't escape it. Just like with those hacks. They are everywhere, too, amiright bois?

• Are we there yet?

• @Fast-Bike94
    Just because a lot of games do something doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. This game is not like most games, and I think it has a shot at making pc and Xbox balanced. It's so close already, I just feel like it needs a couple more nudges, like balancing load times and finding ways to detect macros.

• @fast-bike94 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@troubled-cells how is for a even a good example? Almost no one that plays that game on pc even uses keyboard lol they either use wheels or controllers

Care to show us the official metrics?

I'd genuinely like to see them out of interest.

• @l4chsfps
    Possibly because very few people use this forum. And those that do for the 1st time get their post locked and directed to this mess of a thread when voicing their concerns of crossplay.

Either way, I shall continue to voice my concerns of this failing crossplay experiment here n there in the spirit of free speech.

I still believe the day will come where we are once again free to enjoy gaming without being forced into servers with ANYONE on a PC.
    And await that day eagerly, and look forward to playing on an equal footing, just the way Xbox live was designed to play.

• @blazedrake100 the gap is to great between pc and xbox crossplay is making the xbox obsolete and pointless to own why even buy the next gen when pc will be the only way people qill be capable of keeping up on online games.

• @blatantwalk4260 said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@blazedrake100 the gap is to great between pc and xbox crossplay is making the xbox obsolete and pointless to own why even buy the next gen when pc will be the only way people qill be capable of keeping up on online games.

To be fair users are gonna have a SSD with scarlett, which seems to be a common complaint here against PC, and its backwards compatible, who knows rare may even be working on a full Scarlett port, which then should be on par with higher end PC'S that users here complain about.

It's just up to rare to utilise it, just like they really should utilise the one x's capabilities better, it could easily run the game at 1080p 60fps on medium to high settings given the chance I reckon.

The reality is console gaming is just changing in many ways.

• @blatantwalk4260
    I still use my xbox for 90% of games, including this game, because of the comfort. It's a preference for which platform people use.

• @blazedrake100 Yea but with crossplay you have to use pc on any game type with pvp or expect to lose often

• @blatantwalk4260
    Speak for yourself.

Pc players are just like console players. Some good some bad. You act like everyone with a kb&m have some special skill over you.

This game has a huge diverse player base. I cant tell you the amount of times i have come across players in their 50s. Women, men, or entire familys playing at the same time. Something that is not that common in a game with pvp elements.

Not everyone playing on pc is some super l33t pro. Especially not in this game.
    Which means you are not automatically at a disadvantage

• @nwo-azcrack The pc market is competative it always has been. Yiu want to play games at a competative level and be able to handle pvp you have to have the equipment to match. Anyone who has played competative games know that skill is important but if you dont have the tools to utilize those skills you wont get very far. Why do you think some people have set ups with a few grand spent to put it together. A few hundred dollar xbox cant match that xbox is an inferior system and is being made obsolete in any online multiplayer game by crossplay.

• @blatantwalk4260
    It really depends on the type of pvp in a game. In shooters, pc players have an advantage because of things like headshots. In extremely fast paced games, they also have an advantage. But in sea of thieves, no matter where you hit, it's the same. Also, the combat isn't extremely fast. It's pretty balanced between pc and Xbox imo, I never think I lose because of pc.

• Gotta love the cross play update in the development update today, will matchmake you with pc players if there are not enough controller users to play with lol no that's terrible if someone selects controller they want controller who cares if there isn't enough people. What a joke.

• Just watched it and it's great to see it's finally confirmed and soon to be tested.. Can't wait to inform friends who simply refuse to play arena currently that IT'S NOT LONG NOW!!

• @needsmokes I hope they actually listen to feedback on this when they put it in testing.

Gotta love the cross play update in the development update today, will matchmake you with pc players if there are not enough controller users to play with lol no that's terrible if someone selects controller they want controller who cares if there isn't enough people. What a joke.

But it will inform you before the game starts, so you just leave lobby and go again. 😉

• @needsmokes true just in my mind it kind of confirms my speculations that not implementing this sooner has caused a lot of Controller players to leave the game you'd think you'd have no problem getting a match with other controllers.

• @fast-bike94

Too many have left yes.
    This took too long, but let's hope players will be keeping an eye out for this announcement and will be thinking about returning to the game..

• @needsmokes hopefully

• Crossplay opt out will be a "preference" going by the method suggested in today's Dev Update video.

The option also seems to be "Xbox One controller matchmade again controller Xbox/PC" which if the case, is not what was promised back in January. Unless it was Joe simply not being detailed enough......

....and if not enough players match making for Arena have also ticked the "controller only" preference, then the game will ignore the preference and dump you in the main pool for Arena at the least.

*Update: Joe kindly replied to my tweet asking for clarification. I asked him if by "Controller" he meant Xbox Controller Vs Controller Xbox/PC"

• I'd say that's better than having empty servers. Pc players arent some evil immortal fighters or something.

• @blazedrake100 not all of them no, but there are legit reasons why people only want to play against the same platform. The experiment failed hard with SoT so I am hoping from this point on that this "preference" is something used in all Microsoft Studio Xbox releases going forward.

Now to see how it does in Insiders so we can get it to Adventure which what most SoT Xbox players who asked for this want the preference for.

• So it's basically a half measure, I'm curious more than ever now about this games metrics with regards to this quarters player count and which platforms they use.

I personally don't think it's a time of day / time zone issue primarily like he's making out , but more of a concern internally for the numbers in the cross play pool.

Hence the fail safe .

• @cokney-charmer said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@blazedrake100 not all of them no, but there are legit reasons why people only want to play against the same platform. The experiment failed hard with SoT so I am hoping from this point on that this "preference" is something used in all Microsoft Studio Xbox releases going forward.

Now to see how it does in Insiders so we can get it to Adventure which what most SoT Xbox players who asked for this want the preference for.

I guess it's a start. Adventure really needs opt out, and it will be coming..
    So glad we will be able to play on equal footing finally. What a difference to gameplay this will be for us.. I will celebrate each defeat as much as my victories from now as I know I had been bettered, not disadvantaged.

• @cokney-charmer so is the mixed pool pc players using controller and xbox players using controller?

• @fast-bike94

You have 2 pools

Xbox with controllers

and then everyone else

@Cokney-Charmer How did the experiment fail? The outcry didn't come out until AFTER they changed combat to try and fix double guns and then mentioning that they were going to create an Arena.

Again, there would be no problem letting PC players who use controllers into the player pool.

"Oh but PC has higher frame rates!!!" - Honestly, frame rates aren't going to raise your K/D. I'm sorry this belief that players would lose because PC has higher frame rates is silly. The only time frame rates would even cause any detriment to a player is if 2 pro level players are playing and the player with 20fps lost to the 140 fps player, and if you are playing against someone who is a professional gamer, I'm sorry Frame rates aren't the reason you lost and its not the reason he won.

They could have found a middle ground and ignored people who just have some serious prejudice against PC players.

• @xultanis-dragon

"Oh but PC has higher frame rates!!!" - Honestly, frame rates aren't going to raise your K/D. I'm sorry this belief that players would lose because PC has higher frame rates is silly. The only time frame rates would even cause any detriment to a player is if 2 pro level players are playing and the player with 20fps lost to the 140 fps player, and if you are playing against someone who is a professional gamer, I'm sorry Frame rates aren't the reason you lost and its not the reason he won.

That's because they didn't have an E-WIN Gaming Racing Chair - 330lb Adjustable Tilt Back Angle and Adjustable Arms Ergonomic High-Back Leather Racing Executive Computer Desk Office Chair Calling Series Black Grey. Proper back support is the true advantage.

• @nabberwar said in [Mega Thread] Crossplay announcement in the recent Dev Update video.:

@xultanis-dragon

That's because they didn't have an E-WIN Gaming Racing Chair - 330lb Adjustable Tilt Back Angle and Adjustable Arms Ergonomic High-Back Leather Racing Executive Computer Desk Office Chair Calling Series Black Grey. Proper back support is the true advantage.

Does it ship with RGB support? If not: Hard pass!

Views
3305 out of 3601