Rep Gains for Finding Treasures and Skulls

• There's nothing I hate more than hauling some loot/skulls to an outpost, and losing those items to some sneaky pirates when they prove to be better at naval combat than I am. I don't miss the gold - this is the Sea of Thieves after all - and they deserve that and the reputation for stealing my stuff. What I hate, is the feeling that the last 1-2 hours of play has been for nothing.

My suggestion to combat this is to reward a TINY amount of reputation towards the Hoarders/Order when you dig up a chest/kill a named skeleton.

When I say "tiny" I do mean tiny. This slight rep gain should be no more than you'd get for handing in a Castaway chest, as I wouldn't want this to be an exploitable system.

If Rare wanted to be conservative about this, they could instead reward a small sliver of reputation whenever a map/riddle/bounty from your quest-dial is completed and removed.

If this was implemented, then when you lose your ship and everything on it, at least your time spent sailing wasn't wasted - the gold is gone but you still progressed your reputations, even if it wasn't by much.

The other option is of course for me to git gud, which I intend to do, but this little rep reward for completing objectives would make me less frustrated while I work on that.

Views
  • I do not think people should be rewarded for losing...

• @targasbr said in Rep Gains for Finding Treasures and Skulls:

I do not think people should be rewarded for losing...

I absolutely agree with you, but what he is trying to say is to get little exp for maybe at least completing a voyage and I think that's fine, maybe some people would actually do voyages until the end, not skipping riddles or where it's only 1 captain.

• @bundui disse em Rep Gains for Finding Treasures and Skulls:

I absolutely agree with you, but what he is trying to say is to get little exp for maybe at least completing a voyage and I think that's fine, maybe some people would actually do voyages until the end, not skipping riddles or where it's only 1 captain.

I understood, but it's not experience, it's reputation.

"Hey, gold hoarder, did you remember the chest i dug? I lost it!"
    "No problem my friend, I trust you, I will increase your reputation anyway!"

• I am of the opinion that this issue should be fixed by adding more vanity items for everything so even if you lose the full galleon of skulls you still unlock a skeleton captain's mask for killing thousands of skeletons etc. And the game should be showing progress towards these acheivements so that players know they are actually gaining something.

• Sell fast, sell often, ye who doesn't scourer the horizon for foe, will lose it all. I get it. You dug it up for it to be able to be stolen. You were the Agent of Change....

As Far as ship combat goes, Your friend is the wind. Sail into it. If you're on a sloop Vs Brig Vs Galleon, sail straight into to wind and they will not catch you. If need be, sail into the Red Sea in your sloop. Much easier to keep a sloop afloat in the red than a galleon or brig etc.

• I was never quite clear on why the voyages themselves complete without awarding any rep. I am positive there's a thoughtful design decision behind it though. Similar to how skellies don't drop loot, etc.

• @targasbr Thanks for replying to my post! I did think that 'lore reasons' would be a valid argument against this. Obviously, when you hand a chest in, your standing with the gold hoarders increases because they watched you hand it in.

Passive gains with these factions when you unearth chests/beat skeletons could maybe be explained by tales of your accomplishments making it back to the respective guilds. Lorewise - the people of the Sea of Thieves hear about your exploits, even if they never see the proof of it.

It's a little weak, I'll admit, but I do feel this change is important enough that I'll suck up whatever narrative explanation they want to shoehorn into it.

@SprungNickel427 Obviously the best way to avoid this is shorter voyages which I try to do, but sometimes I can't resist the call of a neighboring island. For when that happens though, I'd like to have gained at least a little sliver of progression if it all goes south. Thanks for the tips though - I hadn't considered using the Red Sea as an escape.

• @vintagekildri I understand your point, but I'm really not the best person to say, because I relied on the lore of the game. If it were experience, I'd be totally in favor of winning when you dig a chest, kills a skeleton, or catches an animal, but it's reputation, I do not think it works so well.

• @targasbr I get where you're coming from too. Glad to hear other opinions on it.

• You gain rep for selling the trinkets and skulls to your outpost. I believe that that is enough to satisfy your characters ability to level up and not spam your screen with little to no reputation movement.

• You have not completed the voyage until you have delivered your loot. No loot, no gold/(exp).

Part of the fun and excitement is to get the loot to an outpost without loosing it. The fact that people are so upset about loosing their loot is proof enough. If you have nothing to loose, you won't get that adrenaline rush when someone is chasing you and you actually have to fight OR be sneaky to make a profit. It is kind of the salt (seasoning) of the game. :)

• @teck7772 Hi Teck! The speed at which you gain rep isn't the issue (for me at least) but the fact that that you can play the game for hours and make zero progress towards these different factions because things go pear shaped when you try to hand in. There should still be high stakes - I should receive no gold for losing these items, but the game should recognise that when I dig stuff up, I am trying to increase my reputation too... even just a little bit.

• You're working. If you don't finish the job, you should not get rewarded.

The loot you find is sold to the groups (GH, OoS & MA) you bought maps from. They pay you to go out and get them more loot. It's your job. If you don't find it and return it to them, you have no completed your job and you should not get paid. No rep. No gold. Nothing.

• @ghostfire1981 I am suggesting a rep increase so low in comparison to the amount you'd get when you hand in that you are still scared to lose anything.

• @vintagekildri you want a tiny rep gain for finishing voyages? You have the commendations...with every grade you get rep...for completing it, for the sea-miles, for buying the voyage...that should be enough
    Anything else shouldn't be rewarded

• I think it's part of the challenge that you have to turn in loot before you get gold or rep - what trader is going to give you money or rep for not delivering the goods??!

What would be nice is maybe another faction that pays gold or rep for killing skeletons. It would solve two problems at once - lack of reward when you get robbed and the pain of dealing with annoying skeleton spawns.

It could be a very small amount - 1 gold for each standard skeleton, 5 for special skeletons (e.g. gunpowder skeletons), 10 for the Metal/Plant/Shadow skeletons, 20 for Captains. Something like that.

Views
16 out of 17