A different way to use the scuttle......

• Not really an exciting story, but its a story of a crew that almost made me lose my cool.

Day started out normal. Started a sloop with my crew mate, we got the ship stocked, stopped by a fort for some Barrels. Fought a few ships here and there. Some stood there ground pretty well while others tried to run. We sank them all.

Then it happened. The sloop that caused us so much pain. We noticed that a particular sloop had been to a few islands so we thought maybe the sloop had some loot.

We get close, they actually turn to engage. We fight. Its pretty close but we are landing our shots more often and catching their ladders. They decide to make a break for it. We chase them. They do all the right things, against the wind, bobbing and weaving around islands. Keep their sails angled.

They scuttle.....what? Why? We weren't really winning and they weren't really losing.....did they really scuttle? No loot either. Okay

Go about our business as usual. Same sloop approaches us. Same deal as last time. Fights us. Again, our shots are landing better and we are catching their ladders. They decide to run away doing all the right things....then.....scuttle....?? Again?? What the hell is going on....??

This happens again for a 3rd time and at this point I'm getting frustrated. They are actually frustrating me with the way they are scuttling......

Take a deep breath. Go towards The Ancient Isle's from the Wilds. Sink a Galleon that wanted some revenge. We see another sloop. Caught them with their pants down. They try to run, get them with a great anchor ball.....as they hit us with a sleep ball. We sail RIGHT passed their ship. We must have really needed our nap. As we get up, we anchor turn. Try to cut them off. We slowly catch up to them as we keep on the sails better then they do.

We catch them. Boarding operation takes place. Things happen. Ships circling, cannons firing, players dying. I respawn to our almost sank ship. Thanks to my crew mate who got a lecture about his sillyness afterwards.

While this whole thing is going on, RAM, player 3 joins the party. "WHAT THE....NOW YOU SHOW UP!" That scuttling sloop came back and rammed us. Is firing cannons. Boarding our boat.

My crew mate finishes off the first sloop and we get ready for Scuttling Susan over here. I kill the first one but not before they drop our anchor. Their sloop in position, pelting us with cannons. My teammate comes back and gets to repairing. I hit the enemy with a peace ball and buy us some time.

Crew from sunken sloop spawn with mermaid and try to board. Kill them, get the anchor up, start going after scuttling sloop.

FINALLY GOING TO GET THAT KILL. I see them bucketing and they start to angle sails and start to sail away. We line up and start the chase. I can taste the victory in the air. Finally I'm going to sink that ship.....and then it happened......they scuttled....again......AGAIN.

I give those guys props. I actually got twitchy because of their little tactic. One eye squinty while another eye and my shoulder twitches. Good going to the both of you.

I'm not salty....I was born with this level of salt already.

Views
  • Only you dont get supplies when scuttle but i dont see the point..

I like to have pirates chasing me its funny if i have no loot get some payback wasting time for nothing

• If you don't care about stocking your sloop, you have 40 cannonballs but only 15 planks, Scuttle and come back with new resources etc. They were playing like a throw away ship, getting in fights but just not good enough to win, and cowardly enough to scuttle to a new region with new resources. I guess Scuttle over Defeat is a win in their book.

450 hrs into this game, I'm still blindsided by a few boats making the ramming pass at me. I try to be vigilant, but they're still coming.

• There's a really bad trick that makes it so you don't spawn far away. If you scuttle ship you'll spawn around 1=2 islands away in sight of the target, so yeah they just scuttled to harass you.

• @ruigtand-nl

Scuttle has it uses... example: solo slooping & doing a Gold Hoarders, lets say there are 4 chests of the island to dig up.
    You see an enemy vessel making a bee line to your island. If you have nothing to loose on board.. scuttle.

Watch the other vessel disappear again, then resume your digging up.
    Chests dug up, hide them on the island, catch the mermaid back pick up your sloop then go & retrieve your booty.

Saves hassle.. and allows to continue your journey unpestered.
    Tactical scuttling certainly has its uses.

edit: Have also used the tactic of whilst being pursued, of driving-by the island I was going to go to in the first place ( On Gold Hoarders ) setting the heading of my vessel true, dropping off the side of my boat.

Then watch from the shore my vessel lead my pursuer away, when it's far away.... scuttle. Gets them out of the area, whilst I can get on with digging.

Views
1 out of 5