Why is this not in the game yet?

• The dev's should add an option to enable friendly fire.
    You would find this option in the crew menu, and if you enabled it, you could attack any other crew mate who has this on.
    I think this is such a simple thing to add that would make a large difference at no expense of how the game works

Views
  • Isn't there enough toxicity already? There are many people who troll on random matchmaking that automatically brig people, drop loot, anchor, etc... Now the option to be able to kill someone on your own crew?!?! Devil's advocate...that could be fun used in a good way to dual with friends, etc...

• Here is a post I made in a few other threads regarding this.

I have been finding myself wanting this more and more lately.
    I believe one of the main reasons for not having Friendly Fire (other than the obvious team killing) is that it would also enable collision between crew-mates which would ultimately lead to general annoyances and plain grieving. However, I feel there are multiple ways to add this feature that would be fun and useful for all :)
    Basic thoughts:

1. This needs to be individually toggle-able, not a crew vote. Too much potential to lock players in a state of possible grief. Perhaps unanimous vote to enable and a single vote to disable could work.
    2. When a player on the crew has this disabled, they should be able to pass through a crewmate with the feature enabled as they always have been.
    3. There needs to be some sort of indicator on the player for their crew to see, as well as on that players HUD so they are aware at all times.

I suggest that players can toggle this feature in the Crew Management section for themselves, a simple switch like "Allow Friends To Join". Some players want that extra bit of difficulty, and this would definitely be a bump up.

1. Disabled - Default on load. The player state is as it currently is. No friendly fire, no friendly collisions, and not friendly physics.
    2. Enabled - Players with this feature enabled can collide and take damage from another member of their crew with the feature also enabled.

A possible 3rd option for some potential fun interactions would be to enable collision and physics without the player taking crew-mate taking damage.

• @hailsux said in Why is this not in the game yet?:

Isn't there enough toxicity already? There are many people who troll on random matchmaking that automatically brig people, drop loot, anchor, etc... Now the option to be able to kill someone on your own crew?!?! Devil's advocate...that could be fun used in a good way to dual with friends, etc...

This is why it would need to be an individual choice that requires both to opt-in each session.

Can Fight
    P1: FF-Enabled
    P2: FF-Enabled

Can't Fight
    P1: FF-Enabled/Disabled/Disabled
    P2: FF-Disabled/Enabled/Disabled

• @Archangel-Timmy Fair enough. If everyone on the crew had to opt-in, that would stop the concern I had with random matchmaking using it against their crew if they were the troll type.

• @Archangel-Timmy I can see how it would provide players a chance to practice PvP with one another. I don’t see a negative since each player decides if they want to give other crew mates the ability to harm them.

(Edited to indicate audience.)

• @ghostpaw actually the op didn’t say that everyone or two had to opt in to do crew PvP. Archangel Timmy gave such option which would be more agreeable for everyone.

• Personally, I think cannons should be free for all when it comes to the damage like the kegs. I remember when a bug was introduced that allowed friendly cannon fire to harm your own crew, it was actually quite fun and wish it was kept in the game.

At the time, it wasn't intended and there were cases where people were going a bit overboard with it to grief others who weren't yet aware of it.

• Not OK, to much for the trolls ... but one could be able to demand a duell. The opponent could agree or disclaim.

• It could be a voting thing, so everyone has to vote for friendly fire to be turned on

• @ghostpaw said in Why is this not in the game yet?:

@Archangel-Timmy I can see how it would provide players a chance to practice PvP with one another. I don’t see a negative since each player decides if they want to give other crew mates the ability to harm them.

(Edited to indicate audience.)

This exactly, me and my buddy were talking about this the other day.

• oh in the name of all that is holy... please do NOT enable friendly fire. random teams would be a nightmare. dont go in the direction they want? they shoot you. dont get off the steering wheel or cannon? they shoot you. bored en route to island? they shoot you. this would be obnoxious and would completely alter the game experience

• @hailsux

We'd never get anything else accomplished. Friendship kegs, cursed cannon balls and this?

• this is already in the game though.

ask your friend to enter a cannon, and fire them out of it.

• I was hoping it'd be more like the Make friends emote, that if you both triggered it'd turn on FF just between the two parties.

• @dekeita A duel emote.

Now there's an idea.

That'd be great. Especially with the Tavern being the staging area for the arena. Duels and grogs before thr battle? Sign me up.

• I am not against an emote for dueling, but I do not feel it should trigger Friendly Fire. At least not at first, as the emote could be added later on top of the base FF options since it contains those requirements plus more and doesn't really accomplish as much as the menu driven approach sine it is a short-lived experience.

Aside from the cannon glitch mentioned previously, the wife and I had a brief experience a month or so ago with FF in which we could collide and her attacks to land on my character dealing no damage.

• I think it's a good idea, mainly to practice PVP.
    But not through a menu, the best solution is to include an effect through a potion (sold in the future potions store).

• @hailsux If you don't want to fight with crew mates, you just simply turn the option off. It's that easy

• @weststormborn I did say "if you enabled it, you could attack any other crew mate who has this on"

Views
1 out of 20