I want to thank the generous Pirate Legends

• I wanted to take a moment to thank you Pirate Legends out there who don't shoot/sink on sight. You don't flex your skills on new players, ruining the game experience. Whether it's dropping your Athena's quests or letting us tag along on a skeleton fort, you make us want to play more.

I recently bumped into a legend who is turning out to be one of the coolest people I have ever met playing online. If he had wrecked me, like I know he can at any time, I would have missed out on a great friendship. So in summary; thank you. It's players like you who help build a strong community that will stand the test of time.

Views
  • yay sea of friends!

• Not really sea of friends, there are nice people and toxic like in every game you play. Thing is if you meet someone random on an island/outpost or just roaming the seas, why would your first thought be lets go sink this noob and take what he has, and even if he has nothing or he is doing merchant voyages, people still go and mess around just to have "fun". I really don't know what is fun in that but I've been in situations like this, doing merchant and a sloop constantly coming for me even if I sunk him and he would spawn at the other side of the map he would still come back.

I'm not that kind of person, and I really enjoy some good PvP with skilled enemies that make it a challenge, not just bullying new players or those who really don't like PvP. Yesterday I met a nice crew at Morrow Peak they were preparing for some OoS voyages and since I was heading out I let them have my supplies. They told me they are working on getting to pirate legend so I landed them a DR Athena voyage and they were so happy about it.

• @algaram said in I want to thank the generous Pirate Legends:

yay sea of friends!

This isn't about Sea Of Friends , Sir...What if you would be new to the game , and i mean now , at this very moment ,where the game has grown expantionally in content and regions , where already an army of experienced Pirates roam around who could kill off any new Pirate in a time lower than you blow yer nose...? How many times would you come back from that to try to find joy in a game , if you get sunk by every " human" vessel...i don't think you would gather 10 gaming hours on this one...

A Real Gamer wants to have a match ; a fair one ,but he or she won't get that with killing or chasing new Pirates of the server...No , guide them, make them grow , show tips and tricks , and show them that there are Pirates with a Heart for new Pirates...You remember the first voyages the longest in yer memory but if those memories were a pure agony than how much chance is there that you contribute agony to others? Very big ,i would say...

But Mr or Mrs Demonicheddog , has this memory in wich he/ she got treated well, was guided and got some tips and tricks of a Legend...The chance that he/she will do the same in return to other new Pirates is very big and in the meantime you create a player base that is stronger towards experienced players...

You create a playerbase that feels welcomed and helped by the " bigger" players ...THAT is what i call healthy behaviour of this Legend Pirate . You haven't named him but i say thank you to him or her . It's great to see that there are Pirates that do care about their New Brothers and Sisters of the Coast and that put an "easy" win aside for some guidance and help in order to create a yearning and longing for this game...

It's not all about kill or be killed , Sir...It's easy to destroy inexperienced players and drive him away to other games but in the end ...Who will you be playing with? An Sea empty of humans and only filled with AI ? How long will it takes before Mr Spencer pulls the plug on that kind of game?...

Nah, if you feel you see New Pirates , approach them Friendly , guide them , make them stronger and wiser so they become an even match for you and others ...That's Sportmanship and will create a more balanced game as a result...

• Same! We encountered a really nice legendary pirate yesterday. We were about to log out so we gave him all of our cursed cannonballs. He gave us many coloured lights on our ship. We waved at him as he sailed away.

• @demonichedgehog I am one of the many legends out there, I do like to treat other new players/old players ANY pirate with a positive and comedic attitude (if they don't fire at me). Just don't let me near your grog stash, otherwise things could get random :).

• I try to be civil with most players, I will warn them and if they fail to heed my warnings I will not hesitate to deal with them.

I am willing to teach those that are new whom are not going to make me loose my patience with them if they are in an alliance with me or are in the crew as a swabbie (you want to learn, you listen to general orders).

For the most part I teach by action, any method that I kill or sink you is used to teach you to either pay attention to your surroundings or how to do ship battles.

If a player or crew is deemed to be a good sport about the battles then I may give them portion of the loot that is not needed towards one or more commendations that my crew and I are trying to focus down at the time.

• @clumsy-george

That was very well said. For the sake of ease, I am he, as is the pirate legend.

The time spent with Zef, my Legend friend, has taught me so much. We had a conversation the other night abut what we contribute to each other's game experience. Obviously there is my perspective, playing with a BADA$$. However, he told me that playing with legends gets bothersome, because they all have an opinion on what should be the mission. Zef said he appreciates the pure enthusiasm I have for all aspects of the game.

It is also a cycle that feeds positive energy back into the game. I found a guy who had been abandoned by his crew (who was in an alliance with me and scuttled their ship to avoid me). I ended up taking him back to port and giving him about 3000 gold worth of items to turn in. It also happened to be his first time in the game ever. He had been playing for less than an hour. It made me feel good to set his adventure off on a good note. To me, THAT is what the game is about. Maybe not befriending every single person you see, but making sure you don't ruin the joy this game brings for someone else.

• @jfrandom

What's a pirate adventure without grog?

The gut who bought me the game for Xmas literally makes grog and then plays the game. So we get full pirate. We should hook up on the sea some time and get Groggy.

• @th3xr34p3r

That sounded like a lawyer pirate wrote that. HAHAHA

I can respect that people play the game in their own way. The issue is that nine times out of ten i am solo slooping. So i am like a newborn baby deer in the forest.

• @demonichedgehog
    Yes YEEESSS, you do undestand the game...Maybe because i'm getting older ( * Older? Just write old, it's the truth and doesn't cost as much letters) but i feel that i cannot destroy someone's experience...As long as people don't attack me then there's no hair on my head to cause havoc...And when we fight we utter cosplay language and not foul language...i don't mind losing some treasure in favour to add to somebody's experience wich could him or her stay longer in the game to hopefully find what i found in that game: Magic and Acceptance from the many Pirates...

• @clumsy-george

If you ever need Kraken/Skeleton fodder, i am happy to jump in. What i lack in skill, I make up for in my willingness to suicide bomb mobs. ;)

• @demonichedgehog said in I want to thank the generous Pirate Legends:

@th3xr34p3r

That sounded like a lawyer pirate wrote that. HAHAHA

I can respect that people play the game in their own way. The issue is that nine times out of ten i am solo slooping. So i am like a newborn baby deer in the forest.

I am no lawyer. I keep things simple to the point and I am very blunt at times. I have a code that I adhere to (one that I have posted to here and the sub in the past, latter been downvoted by people over there since they don't like the truth in how a legitimate PL plays the game, where as the former has gotten upvotes).

I periodically bring it up to other players to show that how you play will have a net positive or net negative to your own and others around you and to help mold potential enemies to allies and assets on the seas.

• I've helped people in the past and had others help me, I love pvp but if everyone I met just wanted to fight then the game would become less risky since you know how every interaction would go, some of my best moments on sot is either pvp or forming an alliance and sailing around goofing off with other crews, tired of the "sea of friends" nonsense what's wrong with abit fun every now an again? I have to say recently though every ship I've come across has bin hostile, even when I tried giving away chests to new players they kept trying to kill me 😂 their ship sank to a skeleton ship and they rowed to the outpost with their one castaway chest. I beat them there and passed them some loot and they were so confused it was pretty funny 😂 there's no sport in sinking an unwilling participant

• @th3xr34p3r

It's hard for me to personally want to attack anyone. the major part of my time in game has been ruined by other player. Gilded mission, hours of loot taken, things like that. If i did not LOVE the game, that would have been enough to turn me away from the game permanently.

I, in good conscious, cannot do that to other players. I do understand that my less than a month of playing does not compare to the MONTHS PLs have put in. However, all it takes is a little consideration, even if i miss out on some extra gold, to make the game better for someone. That's my mindset, but to each their own. I appreciate the insight to the mind of a Legend. The offer for a swabee stands, if you ever have an open slot.

@th3xr34p3r

It's hard for me to personally want to attack anyone. the major part of my time in game has been ruined by other player. Gilded mission, hours of loot taken, things like that. If i did not LOVE the game, that would have been enough to turn me away from the game permanently.

I, in good conscious, cannot do that to other players. I do understand that my less than a month of playing does not compare to the MONTHS PLs have put in. However, all it takes is a little consideration, even if i miss out on some extra gold, to make the game better for someone. That's my mindset, but to each their own. I appreciate the insight to the mind of a Legend. The offer for a swabee stands, if you ever have an open slot.

Feel free to join the official or community discords as I am in both, more active in the latter, and when I am not running with my fleet keep a look out in the dedicated LFC channels for when my first mate and I are looking to add 2 to the group for a few.

• @th3xr34p3r

That is one of those things i am still figuring out. I am a 'console peasant' so getting through all of that to hook u on an xbox is confusing. I will try to figure it out. I know it's the method nearly all of the PC players use.

• @demonichedgehog Ayee I tip my hat to those legends.

Don’t get me wrong I wouldn’t want the game to be a massive PvE server but there has been times when I have been praying I don’t get attacked as I’m trying to finish of a commendation and a legend crew has come along and allowed me or helped me finish my commendation.

They are the true hero’s :)

@th3xr34p3r

That is one of those things i am still figuring out. I am a 'console peasant' so getting through all of that to hook u on an xbox is confusing. I will try to figure it out. I know it's the method nearly all of the PC players use.

You can use the phone to have a private chat through discord/xbox party going and use the tv audio to hear those in game as needed, this is one trick I tell people to do when they are on the console version of the game and are wondering how they can also do what PC players do in regards to having both discord and in game chat at the same time.

Until xbox and the other consoles in general integrate options like discord fully instead of just forcing xbox party where you can't use both at the same time if you wanted since you don't really have the option of setting push to talk keys like you can on PC this is really the only way to have it done.

• @clumsy-george I’m the same George, I can’t just outright attack someone for no reason...
    Well actually I can and have but i always feel really horrible afterwards so it’s not something I look to do.

I was trying to get into an alliance yesterday and said:
    “Let’s make and alliance”
    And they said No!!!
    So I replied :
    “To Davy Jones with you”
    They said No again and joined..

I felt so bad aha afterwards but we handed in a fortsworth of loot so they got some compensation.

But I like to take a passive aggressive approach to the game, I’ll go around and do my own thing and only react to situations around me.
    E.g If someone shouts abuse at our crew, attacks us (Obviously lol) or if there is a Galleon picking fights with a sloop. Then I will step up.

Although I’ll usually get my backside kicked but you know what it’s the thought that counts!! Ahaha

• @th3xr34p3r

Awesome protip. I appreciate that

Views
1 out of 21