The future of SOT?

• Sorry if this is in the wrong category, i couldn't find the proper place for my "rant"?
    So, I've played the game since before launch, i joined the pioneer program way back when the SOT hype was at its peak, and boy has it been a journey.

The game has brought me many great memories both being good and bad, but now i've reached a point in the game where i only really return to see the new updates, or aquire more of that amazing loot you keep putting out for us.

• But i cannot help but think, is that really it? A new scripted story with a challenge and some new cosmetic options?

When i first joined the adventure on the unofficial discord pre-launch of SOT, i remember us all sitting back and talking about how a game like this where you shape your own future would be absolutely fantastic, how we get to make a reputation for ourselves and grow our pirate legend from the get go.

• The game has delivered that; Sorta.. in form of an experience bar..
      The servers are so small that you hardly ever meet the same people, nobody will remember you, or recognize you unless you get extremely (lucky?)
      PVE experiences we get out of the game is pre-scripted, and the story is almost told before the update releases for us to play it, we know what to expect we know what we're getting into.
      The recent update "Shrouded spoils", added fog, and you told us.
      I love fog as much as the next guy, but when i logged into the update, i didn't even go to check it out, because i had already seen it, as i do follow you on social media.
    • You could argue that's a fault on my part, because i'm spoiling myself from the game, that might be true.
      But thinking of it as a way to improve the game, i would love to see new things happen to people when they are on the ship, not in the changelogs you publish for people to read while they are downloading the update, does that make sense?

Imagine a "mysterious" update just happened one day, you're sailing with your crew like normally, doing your voyages, or scouting for enemies to plunder and what not, suddenly from the water beneath you, light emerges, and singing can be heard from sirens now luring one of your crewmates into the water, somebody have to go get him before he jumps off the boat and gets murdered.

Ofc. there are many concepts for creatures you can put into the game, and yes many of them are epic, but that's besides the point i'm trying to make, i know you will deliver these eventually, it's only a question of time, my point is:

I wasn't super surprised when i first saw the meg, because i knew it arrived in the update, i didn't know how big it was, but i knew it was there, there was a whole scripted journey for me to partake in for it to spawn, so it never came as a surprise when it finally did, except for the impulse of finally figuring out the riddle.
    If the meg had attacked my ship for the first time without me directly logging into the game with the sole purpose of trying to find it, and it came to me as a surprise, i feel i'd value these memories so much more, being it with my friends or random people on the seas, i could be completely alone on this one.

Don't get me wrong, i've loved every update you've punched out so far, and i will continue to play them from here until.. well.. you stop releasing any?

This leads me to the question, what does the future of SOT actually look like?
    The adventure game that only earns money off of the first purchase from every individual player, what happens to it when the hype dies off, when players lose interest and eventually stop buying, or everybody who ever had interest already have bought their copies?
    What are the plans to keep people encouraged to play?

So far, cosmetics aren't doing it for me, they are great, but i've unlocked everything i want, and matchmaking making it almost impossible to find a decent crew that talks using microphones, can make the game experience tedious.

So far, the response to pirate legends asking for more content has just been achievements with higher value to achieve.
    That's not a question of being good at the game, it's a question of playing it the most.

Will you eventually make economy a thing in the game, one where there is an actual loss?
    Will there be an MMO of Sea of thieves? One where we recruit people in taverns, buy boats, steal ships, plunder landscapes?

And lastly will the arena gamemode you're releasing, up the playercount or devide the community?

I don't mean to slander SOT, i love the game, so if i come off that way, it might be because of a language barrier.

Thanks for reading.

Views
news
1 out of 1