Please fix the kraken

• I was just in a brig, me and a friend caught below decks, one friend above decks. The kraken tentacle covered the hole and then we sank. Not immediately of course. It started poking holes in the ship that we were repairing, we never ran out of wood, every hole was repaired. But we couldn’t throw the water out. We went from a dry ship with no holes to sunk and there was literally nothing that could be done. I don’t know what is going on but how can this be intended?

I’m sorry if I seem frustrated but this is very upsetting I’m trying to introduce a friend to this game and it is his first session. I’ve literally made a forum account just to make this gripe.

Anyway the game is great back to playing but this isn’t on - not if you’ve got two guys repairing below decks and a guy up top. Not fair.

Views
  • Did your above deck friend target the head of the tentacle at the side of the ship, or did he attack the body attached to the ship? Did he attempt to attack the tentacle in any form? Its easy to say not fair, but its too soon to come to that conclusion with what little information is known.

• Of course there are way to survive this attack... Just try again and adapt your way to play next time !

• @two-joints-jay

Always be ready for a kraken attack. Have at least one person on deck with ammo ready to attack the tentacle's end and repeatedly drive it away until the main one releases it's grip.

• Their is this trend lately with the Kraken on this forum. Rather then take a step back, seeing what went wrong, and adjust accordingly. We've gone straight to something must be broken. Rant aside, heres my suggestion.

Adjust accordingly, try keeping two topside at all times while one fixes and takes pot shots from the stairwell. If it grabs over the same spot as in the story, have the one trapped below deck strictly on repair duty. Meanwhile, the two top deck target the head of the tentacle that is wrapped around the hull. I understand you can't bucket but patching should delay the onset of water while they attempt to break the grapple.

Secondly, run two guns. Word on the forums is that slashing the main body of the tentacle does little to nothing on releasing the grip. Also make sure to keep ammo and personal supplies topped at all times. If in case the hull is blocked you have a better chance to finish of the head doing the grapple. You may even be able to cannon fire the tentacle as well.

• Guys. There were two of us below deck. We were both repairing holes as soon as they were being made.

We were both letting rip with the wombo combo - blunderbuss and flint lock, and we were right next to the ammo box. I know we were hitting it because we were covered in black blood. Our friend up deck was also shooting it with a blunderbuss and slashing with a cutlass.

We just got sunk by the kraken again in the same session. I’m a legendary kraken hunter I’m not new to fighting krakens. I’ve beat them solo sloop, beat them whilst being attacked by other players, I’m no scrub.

This is my first post but I’ve been lurking for a while. This does need to be fixed, it is broken. You can’t bilge, you’re going to sink unless it lets go. If it doesn’t - you’re done. That’s what happened to us. From dry and fixed to sunk. It might be an issue with the brig.

• @two-joints-jay said in Please fix the kraken:

I was just in a brig, me and a friend caught below decks, one friend above decks. The kraken tentacle covered the hole and then we sank. Not immediately of course. It started poking holes in the ship that we were repairing, we never ran out of wood, every hole was repaired. But we couldn’t throw the water out. We went from a dry ship with no holes to sunk and there was literally nothing that could be done. I don’t know what is going on but how can this be intended?

I’m sorry if I seem frustrated but this is very upsetting I’m trying to introduce a friend to this game and it is his first session. I’ve literally made a forum account just to make this gripe.

Anyway the game is great back to playing but this isn’t on - not if you’ve got two guys repairing below decks and a guy up top. Not fair.

You can throw water through the tentacle. Water does not defect.

Additionally the brig can be kept floating with a single player by that method. If you avoid being eaten during the vacuum cleaner component then go back on deck to fire on all near tentacle that pop up you will have no problem defeating the beast. (Using a cannon)

Remember it's the tentacle nearest the ship that will be the one to attack when your ship is getting wrapped. (Using a cannon)

Bad luck does exist, but often times it's players just not paying attention to the event mechanics or are not up to date with the latest version of the game mechanics.

• @swimplatypus7 said in Please fix the kraken:

You can throw water through the tentacle. Water does not defect.

Darn! You beat me to it! 😅

• The kraken is supposed to be a legendary creature that isn’t easy to kill. When wrapped, a tenticle head appears near the cannons sitting low in the water this is your target as the body will not release from damage. After one hit with cannons it will switch sides, a second hit and it will return to the original side now you can hit it a few times and it will unwrap before it can do major damage. Best method to use is 2 on top and at least 1 below deck during a Kraken attack. If on a Galleon it’s 2/2 and swap out if one is pulled overboard. The sloop doesn’t need to worry since you can throw water off the back just be mindful to get someone on the cannons with ammo since the tenticle can block someone on the helm or prevent you from getting below deck.

• @two-joints-jay i personally love the idea that people can be trapped even if it means you can sink. It makes it seem more dangerous like it should be you can try to escape fight it which in all honesty i mean if your good with cannons shouldn't be a problem but i do like the fact that this can happen and ill admit ive lost loads of treasure but its risk reward nothing should be earned for free it its the kracken after all i dont see the big deal if it occasionally covers up the hole trapping people causing a boat to sink because people couldn't keep up of repairs or has bad shots on cannons.

• The Kraken is a beast! I love fighting it! Once the body gets introduced (pursuit maybe) it'll get even better. Imagine running from a Kraken in a fog bank!😀

• When i see karen while solo now i run to the bell start ringing and call abandon ship i respawn and continue my game its faster and more fun then fighting it 4 times in one session it takes to much time and is no longer funny or special -.- i freaking hate karen encounters :(

• @ruigtand-nl A.I spawn frequency is currently on steroids and its only going to cause player burn out..If you think of long term it could hurt SOT short term yeah great something new but time will tell.

• @gullysquad28

Giving it a new chance everyday for some time now and i learned to peaceball and anchor the popup skellyboat and survive pirates and abandon ship for karen and jump on megan to catch a ride... but i want to play sot and dont want to be interrupted between every island i certainly dont need to be entertained so much that there is no longer free play.. it takes so much time all these encounters and they just overrule every simple voyage with monster madness

• @two-joints-jay said in Please fix the kraken:

Guys. There were two of us below deck. We were both repairing holes as soon as they were being made.

We were both letting rip with the wombo combo - blunderbuss and flint lock, and we were right next to the ammo box. I know we were hitting it because we were covered in black blood. Our friend up deck was also shooting it with a blunderbuss and slashing with a cutlass.

We just got sunk by the kraken again in the same session. I’m a legendary kraken hunter I’m not new to fighting krakens. I’ve beat them solo sloop, beat them whilst being attacked by other players, I’m no scrub.

This is my first post but I’ve been lurking for a while. This does need to be fixed, it is broken. You can’t bilge, you’re going to sink unless it lets go. If it doesn’t - you’re done. That’s what happened to us. From dry and fixed to sunk. It might be an issue with the brig.

Read what @Nabberwar and @Elwe-Seregon have said. You need to attack the "head" of the tentacle, not the part that is blocking the stairs. If you are covered in ink, then you are attacking the wrong thing.

If you shoot the closest tentacle with your cannon, he will release your ship faster. That's the "head".
    Experienced or not, this is a new mechanic that was added in the latest patch and you need to learn how to counter it.

• We had the same experience yesterday. 4 of us on a galleon, introducing a friend to the game. We were trying to stock up on supplies, so two of my buddies shot themselves to a nearby island while me and the new player stayed on the ship and sailed around a bit more. The kraken appeared, so we yelled "Get back to the ship!!" and got ready below deck, holding 5 planks each. My buddies quickly found a mermaid, but they had just left the ship with no supplies in their pockets so they could stock up on the island. So they were on the top deck, but didn't have any cannonballs. Me and another friend were below deck. The stairs got blocked. We couldn't bail the water out, and my friends on the top deck couldn't shoot the tentacles. We went down really quickly.

It was a funny start to the session to be honest. And our friend was excited about seeing a kraken for the first time. It was bad luck, and careless planning on our side. But yes, the kraken is a pain in the ***.

• Escaping the Kracken is pretty easy on solo sloop. When you hear the Kracken music look directly behind you and you will see a blue water spot. Its usually directly behind you. Do a right or left wheel lock to spin the boat to face opposite direction. Hide below deck while boat is turning. Once boat is facing blue water spot just hide below deck and you will sail out. You can fight it from outside the ink but it's kind of far. If you try too get close it will spawn back on you so stay outside ink.

• Two Joints Jay,

if you had used the SEARCH function, you would have recieved hundreds of solutions....

• @two-joints-jay
    Bro I'm with you! This happen to me for the first time last night in a galley. It was super frustrating and we are a great crew and were on an Ashen Athena voyage and it was so disheartening to lose everything to a nearly unbeatable scenario we just quit.

Maybe it's beatable, maybe there's some superior strat I could learn. Who cares? I play games for fun and competition, my job requires a lot of education and experience. Why would I want to play work. I don't get paid to kill krakens! Make it fun, make it challenging, don't make it ridiculous. It's an easy balance to me but maybe some want that level of challenge.

• WOW there are two posts in here which are literally complaining about the PvE.

"Maybe it's beatable, maybe there's some superior strat I could learn. Who cares? I play games for fun and competition, my job requires a lot of education and experience. Why would I want to play work. I don't get paid to kill krakens! Make it fun, make it challenging, don't make it ridiculous. It's an easy balance to me but maybe some want that level of challenge."

• @ruigtand-nl said in Please fix the kraken:

When i see karen while solo now i run to the bell start ringing and call abandon ship i respawn and continue my game its faster and more fun then fighting it 4 times in one session it takes to much time and is no longer funny or special -.- i freaking hate karen encounters :(

This is your problem, how will you ever learn?

What is the worst that you lose? if you scuttle you lost your ship anyway, loot and supplies so,
    Why not fight it?
    Why not learn from mistakes?

In this thread there is all the information you need to beat every kraken you come across her.

"Get Good"

• Ahoy maties!

As this thread was 7 months old, and revived today, it will now be locked. Please feel free to start a new discussion on this topic!

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our forum rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
17 out of 22