The Great Gilded Athena Heist!

• Beware my nautical friends, these seas be home to thieves and scoundrels, me mate and I among them...

It was a voyage like any other. Cargo needed hauling from Morrows' Peak to Crook's Hollow, and we're not the kind to turn down some easy coin. We accept the contract, and make our steady way toward The Ancient Isles.

As we arrive my matey, @Octopus-Lime shoots himself to the island, intending to ensure the cannon above the dock is not manned, so as to save our precious rum from taking a beating. But too my sudden surprise, as I round the island shore... A Brigantine! Parked between our ship and our destination. An opportunity of plunder arose, and we sure took it!

I laid down cannon fire, laughing as the panicked crew quickly ran back to their ship. Octopus dashed from the top of the island, easily boarding their ship and cutting down their crew. With all hands perished, and their ship quickly sinking, I join him to gather loot and supplies. As I climb aboard he quick exclaims "they're on a Gilded Athena voyage, bucket some water, keep them afloat!". Without asking, I scoop out some water whilst Octopus, thinking on his feet, ran to the map table to find two islands circled. We now knew what they were doing, and where they were going. Our adventure just got interesting..!

Not wanting to be around when they came back, we quickly gathered our (their) loot and got ourselves to Ancient Spire to cash in. It wasn't long before we spotted familiar sails making their way to Crook's Hollow.

Now, the hunt is on. For the next hour we shadowed our prey, knowing they would soon leave Crook's Hollow and make way for Lone Cove, we set sail cautiously north stopping at random islands and forts to make out we were minding our own business. As predicted, they cast off and stopped at Lone Cove, we knew now that the next island they go to will be the final map. The time to spring our trap was getting near.

We waited for some time, Octopus at the nearby fort and myself with the ship at Cannon Cove, silently watching our target for what felt like a few days. Then, movement, the brigantine begins to turn and drops sail heading generally south and east. I follow suit, dropping our sail whilst Octopus takes a mermaid back. Again, we shadow their movement, trying to predict where they were heading without getting too close to them. "keep your distance, but don't look like you're trying to keep your distance" said Octopus, at which I growled (for some reason) "I don't know!" he exclaimed "sail casual". We continue south east, by now getting close to Barnacle Cay and it seems ever apparent that they're heading back to Crooks Hollow. Very strange, we both thought, perhaps they had forgotten to pick up a piece of cargo? Wanting a better look, Octopus jumps in to our row boat and makes his way over. As he gets close a member of their crew confirms with context chat that he has the rum bottles, signalling they were probably about to move off. Having to think fast again, Octopus quickly boards, hoping to hide himself away but is soon spotted and despite offering a banana, is quickly dispatched to the ferry.

Back on the sloop, I watch them drop sail and again continue south. This time toward Thieves Haven where they're put upon by a skelly ship. We hold back as they exchange fire, but somehow the skelly's seem to lose interest and break away from the fight. With them approaching Thieves Haven (a fitting island for this story) we set sail once again and stop short at Cutlass Cay. It's night time now, and somehow they seem to have disappeared. They're either behind the island, or maybe even inside it. As luck would have it, we found a new row boat at Cutlass Cay, so once again the ever brave Octopus got to rowing, this time armed with a powder keg. I gave him time to get ahead of me before I moved the sloop slowly toward the island. To our great relish, Octopus confirmed they had parked inside the island and dived in with the keg whilst I dropped sail to get to the entrance they were facing so as to block them inside.
    BOOM! The keg exploded under their ship, sending one of their crew to the ferry.
    Another was close by and attempted to defend their boat, but fell to Octopus. With the ship quickly going down I moved our sloop in to the island, just one more to kill and the loot would be ours! Octopus engaged, but was overcome, as I approach I managed to hit him once with my pistol, sending the wretch running in to the caves. I left him to run as I protected the sloop and stopped next to their loot twinkling in the water. Octopus respawned, and we jumped in to find two Chests of Legends.
    As I climbed the ladder their last remaining crew mate had returned, now on our upper deck. I quickly engaged with pistol and cutlass, the scamp retreated to our map table, I followed, bravely swiping my sword at him from six feet away and missing every swing, thank goodness Octopus was close behind to finish the job! They exchange fire, killing each other at the same time, leaving me to drop sail and head to the nearest outpost...
    Here is the end of our tale. With these two chests we completed the Legendary Thief commendation. Happy to boast that every chest was stolen through great cunning and fair play on our part.
    Trust no one in this pirate life my friends. It's called Sea Of Thieves for good reason.

Views
  • sail casual

Haha that made me laugh so hard xD
    Nice story! :)

• @luciansanchez82 I couldn't have said it better myself. Here's to the crew!

• @ktingaling Glad someone got the ref. Thanks matey!

• @octopus-lime You do the killing, I do the talking (and steer the boat).

• I can vouch for this story, sadly having to listen through party chat seeing as for once (WHY?!) they were sailing in a sloop and not a Brigantine!

Well done mateys, especially on achieving that rare commendation!

• @sshteeve King's Justice was traditionally a sloop. It was only through modernisation of the king's feet that she was relaunched as a brigantine. Purists will maintain she should forever remain a sloop and therefore occasionally carries out her duties as such, but not everyone likes change I guess.

Cheers matey!

Views
1 out of 7