please make it take more time to switch out weapons...

• So ive noticed this a few times, im on a voyage and some guy jumps on my boat and instant gibs me because the moment they fire their weapon switches out and they fire again immediately after the first shot. Obviously a macro is being used but the only reason that a macro is even remotely possible is because you can already switch weapons nigh instantaneously and fire immediately. This doesn't take skill, this doesn't add to the game content in the slightest it just serves to make people who try not to mess with others without being messed with tilted. Most if not all games with pvp set at their core generally make macros against the rules so this isn't something that I or anyone else should have to adapt to, its a blatant flaw in the games design and it needs to be fixed. If you arnt going to fix that fundamentally broken part of pvp then for the love of everything just give us PVE servers or passive mode or something like that because personally i enjoy a less macro based pvp system that requires a bit of skill to take off.

Views
    bug
  • Oh god, here we go again. You don't need a macro for this. It takes a long time to get good at going into battle without a sword. After you shoot both guns you are defenceless for like 15 seconds. Someone can double sword lounge and kill you just as easy.

• I have a shortkey on my xbox controller to switch weapons. Shoot, switch, shoot. It is just a button, no macro.

• @abandenstorm

Hey there!

In the last stream with the devs, they said the double-gunning was not intentional and they are looking at it! :)

• @shurthugal said in please make it take more time to switch out weapons...:

@abandenstorm Hi there.

I've never tried this myself but I hear that you don't need a macro to use this method.
    Also this point comes up every now and then. I don't think it isn't skill based because like every other mechanic in the game you have to practice it a bit to master it.
    The problem with this one is that if it is performed successfully there is nothing you can do about it (like the Blunderbuss one-shot).
    They talked about this issue in one of the streams and said that this will be looked at.
    The increased time to switch weapons is one of the suggestions to address this as is a highly inaccurate second shot.
    I'm not sure yet if I want this removed entirely. I hate it when it happens to me but I could probably come to terms with it remaining in the game if it required a decent amount of practice (or maybe isn't a guaranteed one-shot because of gun malfunctioning or other mishaps [personal opinion here, I think that weapons in this game are way to accurate and way to less error-prone]) and (this is the first thing I would like to see changed) if we could see other pirate's loadout so I can at least anticipate it.

Cheers!

They can address the issue people have with this by adding recoil to shots, currently it is easy to shoot twice in the same spot. This would require the person to compensate for the recoil and therefore be more skillful in their execution.

Requiring a draw animation to be completed before able to shoot/slash, creating a small time frame in between the actions.

What they should not do is add randomness to the weapons, as this will just cause more trouble. Nothing feels worse than a game telling, you lost the fight cause 'click' randomness¡¿?! Weapons need reliability and logical behavior, I have no issues with bloom effects on hipffire, bullet drop, recoils and things that add skill and depth to the game.

Personally would love weapons loadouts being visible on the pirates:

• Swords dangling on your left hip.
    • Flintlock on your belt at the front.
    • Blunderbuss over one shoulder.
    • Eye of reach over the other.
  • Double gunning is being nerfed.

Mike confirmed on a developer stream that they WILL be addressing that issue.

• @personalc0ffee
    I'm hoping its the change only effects the animation cancelling. I personally don't really use it, but it be a shame to have a company force a playstyle. That loadout has its downsides, its a shame people can't see that. I think you and I have talked about this on the myriad of other post, I think we are already on the same page.

• @abandenstorm It's actually quite hilarious how sure of yourself that it's a macro. No macro is needed to left-click press 1or2 (even scroll wheel if you're one of those guys) and then left-click again. It's just double shotting and it actually takes more skill then you think. if you cant aim its useless, you still need to be able to aim. now would a weapon swap delay stop this? it certainly would nerf it depending on how much of a delay they would add.
    Now what i think the should do, is nerf the sniper. it should have random hipfire accuracy, the problem is that you can hipfire the sniper with 100% accuracy. if the sniper needed to be scoped in to hit 100% accuracy that would cause a slight delay to switch to pistol cause you will also be unscoping. the sniper should just only have 100% accuracy when zoomed and that would make it balanced

• I agree double gunning needs to be and likely will be nerfed.

Calling it a macro however just adds to the list of reasons why PC players think console players are inferior.

I get accused of "hacking" regularly when killing console players, so lame...

• @denverdecoy
    Macro or not the issues with PC playing with console players are still there and has been brought up many times before just like this double shot issue(there was a video on YouTube about the double shot and the PC guy doing it using macros, which is where the relationship to PC players comes from don’t get upset with console players for simply stating something). There are many on here saying not again in regards to it being brought up, but the reason it keeps coming up as a topic is because it has yet to be addressed. Things take time, but this has been a problem since the game came out, the frustration is rare says it will be addressed....when there is time to release all this content etc, but you can’t fix this. I feel they don’t really want to fix it, because it takes away from the PvP feel of the game which is pretty much all it is now a days.

• @bababooey said in please make it take more time to switch out weapons...:

@denverdecoy
    Macro or not the issues with PC playing with console players are still there and has been brought up many times before just like this double shot issue(there was a video on YouTube about the double shot and the PC guy doing it using macros, which is where the relationship to PC players comes from don’t get upset with console players for simply stating something). There are many on here saying not again in regards to it being brought up, but the reason it keeps coming up as a topic is because it has yet to be addressed. Things take time, but this has been a problem since the game came out, the frustration is rare says it will be addressed....when there is time to release all this content etc, but you can’t fix this. I feel they don’t really want to fix it, because it takes away from the PvP feel of the game which is pretty much all it is now a days.

The thing is what PC players hate is that people make this a platform difference thing or even related to accusing everyone that does this is using macros. While in most likelihood most people aren't, as it really is not difficult to execute yourself. Even controller players have been shown to be able to do it, just requires a bit more skill with a controller to do, I tried it and managed (not consistently but hell I am really not that versed in using controllers, so it shouldn't be that hard to learn). Though it is more used by PC players I believe.

I can execute it on a keyboard and mouse without failure, still I rock a sword 24/7 almost never swap it out. I find the mobility it gives out weighs the ability to erase someone on a reload cooldown. Though I have tried it out.

The reason people are defending the double gun strategy is because it has downsides, mainly in mobility and if you miss, which as an average person happens every so often and it really hurts or if outnumbered the pressure is on cause unlike in 1v1 a miss or being cornered most likely means you die.

If you read the forum most do agree that there should be a nerf, they just want to prevent it being impossible to run two guns regardless of how skilled they are, as they love the run and gun playstyle. Become the legendary gunslinger pirate. Seems fair to me even though I don't run it.

I agree with them in how it should be addressed. Recoil, Bloom (accuracy when hipfiring) and forced animations (draw speed, time in between shots). Increase the skill elements and build in a response time for opponent's.

I would love it if it would be able to balance out that which 2 guns to use becomes a real question based on draw and holster speeds: if they also add a requirement to put away your current item and draw animation. Resulting in faster drawing from no item and more between items and therefore able to keep drawing animations and timings fairly short.

As an example:

• Sword has .25 s draw and .2 s sheathing
    • Blunderbuss has .3 s draw and .2 sec holster
    • Flintlock has .2 s draw and .15 s holster
    • Eye of Reach has .4 s draw and .3 s holster
    • Other items 0.1 s

Resulting in different combinations, as running a sniper increases the time between shots with the benefit of a high damage output.

On the other end running a flintlock would be beneficial for easy swapping out and quicker shots or slashes to follow up. With nice consistent damage output.

The blunderbuss as a high potential damage is somewhere in between.

The sword is close to the flintlock and the second fastest due to the utility and uncapped power it holds.

For me something along these lines would be the best solution to start out with, naturally Rare has better data to set those times (they are purely for example purposes).

Other items should give a small disadvantage, but shouldn't be heavily punished as your damage potential is 0.

Overall as a sniper user, it could use a bit more bloom when hip firing. Though I believe that is a slightly different conversation about the EoR specific.

• Really a shame that the devs are going to change this. I absolutely HATE dying to it but it's not OP in any way. The play style has very extreme drawbacks, people just don't take advantage of them.

It already takes a year and a half to switch from sword to banana. Can't wait to see what this "fix" is going to do to the already clunky and unresponsive controls...

• I think that if they tied the fire rate to the animation and make you complete the animation before it fires that would help. Similar to the banana. If you don't let the FX finish, then you really didn't eat that banana.

• @nofears-fun That's a little more complicated because they can't bring the bullet back if you switch guns.

• @abandenstorm Double gunning is only good for one kill then you have to reload, that can be life or death.

However I do believe no scope EOR should shoot at the ground.

• The thing about that video of the Double-shot Macro, makes the macro more impressive then it actually is. Its done in a controlled scenario where the perfect scenario is setup. Here's the thing about Macro's, the more you rely on them it becomes a crutch. Sometimes one shot is all that is needed, but now you waste both shots because the Macro forces the sequence. Due to this lack of versatility it becomes more of a hindrance then actually useful. Pc players get frustrated when this gets brought up because it really isn't that impressive of a macro. It isn't really macro worthy to make this combo. Sea of thieves in general benefits zero from running macros. You will tend to see more Macros in mmorpgs. They make sense there, not here. You tend to see Console players clutch to this argument, who don't understand macro use in the grand scheme of games. To them they seem like cheating, but when used in the context of Sea of Thieves, they lack actually real use. However, here is another example of why the Macro isn't great in this game.

If I use it on another player and I miss the first shot, it is almost a guarantee that I will miss the second. Once a macro starts, I have no choice but to let it finish its sequence. Now I am out of both guns and have zero offensive capability. Now with the same scenario without running the Macro, if I miss the first shot I can keep the second shot by not firing. Wait til I reload the initial gun, now I have full kill potential. The two gun style relies on killing the opponent fast with quick succession. If I don't kill them fast, they can simply eat a banana, or rush me. Since I can't kill them without using both guns simultaneously. I am at the disadvantage if I ever miss a single shot. If you do actually kill someone, another player has an easy time dealing with you now. What exactly do you have to counter besides running around.

If the situation arises where I can effectively use the macro, I can most likely get the same results without it. An example of that is the oblivious player on the cannon. This has already been said on the topic but I figured its worth repeating. The Macro can be done manually with borderline same speed. At the very least fast enough where the fraction of a second will make ZERO difference. I mean ask yourself this, how fast can you push 3 buttons in sequence? I understand it looks scary to those who are unfamiliar with them, but they aren't practical in actual use for Sea of Thieves.

Views
bug
15 out of 16