Why I choose the Brigantine when I sail solo over the sloop

• I have seen a great number of posts lately by solo players suggesting how difficult the game has become with many recent updates, and thought I would share my reasoning behind using the brig whether solo or in a group.

1 - Speed, speed, speed. The brig flies across the water. The brig in most cases is as fast or faster than any other ship. It is more maneuverable than a galleon but not quite as nimble as the sloop. Even if you only put the back sails (closest to the wheel) down, you are faster than a sloop. That speed is not just a good thing for PvP, or escaping PvP, it is good for the new AI threats, and just getting your quests done faster by lessening the time it takes to sail between islands.

1. The brig is by far and away the easiest ship to bail water from. If you take damage, through any of the many ways you can now, bailing water and last second saves are much more possible in the brig than any other ship. Yes, every hole made is on the same level, unlike the galleon or sloop, but the speed of which you can empty water from a brig makes up for this.

3 - Getting from your wheel to your cannons is much easier and faster on a brig than any other ships.

4 - Takes a little longer for water to fill the boat. This has come in handy when I have a weeping chest on board. You can easily bail the water out as fast as the boat is filling with water when on a brig. Even when you have to keep up with other things, like maneuvering the ship, adjust sails and such.

5 - Intimidation factor. While it doesn't always make a difference, being on a brig suggest you have 3 pirates on board. So other ships, especially sloops, tend to stay clear of you. You still get those sloop guys that will go up against everything on the see, but thanks to the speed difference, they aren't a problem once you are in the wind....

6 - More places to hide loot. You have more nooks to hide the valuable loot you have been working on collecting than you would a sloop.

Keep in mind, there are some things that might not make this ideal for everyone though. Some examples are:

• The anchor takes much longer to bring up in a brig over a sloop. And the location of the anchor is inconvenient. To combat this, I rarely use the anchor. Only if I have to use it because of a storm, or to avoid crashing (which is rare).
    • If you do need to use both sails, adjusting both takes more effort than adjusting just one sail on the sloop.
    • Getting to bananas on a brig is not quite as convenient as it is on a sloop.

Solo sailing a brig might not be for everyone. But my need for speed, the ease of navigation on the brig (once you are used to it) make it an amazing ship to sail solo.

Views
  • @nofears-fun I haven't tried it much just because I feel so cramped in the bottom deck of the brig. I feel like I get stuck on EVERYTHING. For some reason the sloop feels more roomy.

I'll have to give it another try though.

• You forget the one important thing..

See a monster? Just put crew open ... 2 pirates spawn and kill the monster..

• @xcalypt0x Once you get used to moving around down there, it is not that bad at all. And as I said, the difference the speed makes, even just island to island, makes up for the few shortcomings.

I will say another warning. Some have pointed out that a kraken can be doom for a brig. This is very true if solo. If I have another team mate, it is not so bad. But solo, once it wraps onto your ship, you can't get below to bail out water. And if you are below, you can't toss the water out.

But I have defeated many of the skelly ships solo on a brig, same with meg, though meg is a little harder as repairs between attacks take longer.

• @ruigtand-nl Good point, and actually I meant to add a point that if you have a couple of friends that want to join, no problem. But I never thought of switching to open crew for quick help. Great idea.

• @nofears-fun said in Why I choose the Brigantine when I sail solo over the sloop:

@xcalypt0x Once you get used to moving around down there, it is not that bad at all. And as I said, the difference the speed makes, even just island to island, makes up for the few shortcomings.

I will say another warning. Some have pointed out that a kraken can be doom for a brig. This is very true if solo. If I have another team mate, it is not so bad. But solo, once it wraps onto your ship, you can't get below to bail out water. And if you are below, you can't toss the water out.

But I have defeated many of the skelly ships solo on a brig, same with meg, though meg is a little harder as repairs between attacks take longer.

Yeah, this bug needs to be fixed ASAP. I do brig when I have two of my friends with me and so far we have been able to avoid having the Kraken wrap us over the stairs but that would make me so mad if it happened lol.

• @nofears-fun

Yeah i was one of the cry babies complaining about solo slooping with all the monsters because i maybe just a legend but im not a good fighter so i really thankfull for everybody helping out with how to fight but this i thought could be a way to use open crew.

I started with skullforts opening crew then thry clear the fort but now i defeated skellyships and one kraken while i almost died i put crew open and politely asked the pirates if they could help me and they like it they jump in the middle of action and get fast rewards and i survived :D so far they just quit after turning in loot and then i close crew and go on with solo play :)

• @nofears-fun When my crew’s online we take out a brig, but they’ll usually turn in early leaving me solo on the brig. If the ship is well-stocked and/or I’m still doing voyages I don’t mind carrying on solo. As you pointed out, there are some advantages. But given a choice, I still prefer a sloop for solo adventuring. It’s mostly about that anchor really. On a sloop I don’t mind dropping anchor because it’s so fast to bring up. And in the Devil’s Roar, it’s not optional. I don’t want my vessel drifting away when the earth starts shaking. Even elsewhere, I rarely leave the anchor up, unless there are other ships nearby. I guess it’s a realism thing.

But beyond the anchor, I just love the speed and ease of working a sloop. The time it saves leaves me open to do more, faster. And it’s almost impossible to sink if I’m bailing and repairing, no matter how many holes. Can’t say that about the brig.

There are definitely advantages and disadvantages to each, though. I enjoy both. I’ve even taken out a galleon, albeit rarely. One time I actually had the audacity to take on a fully crewed galleon in my solo galleon...and actually won. Don’t ask me how, but that was a glorious moment. 🙂

• @ruigtand-nl said in Why I choose the Brigantine when I sail solo over the sloop:

@nofears-fun

Yeah i was one of the cry babies complaining about solo slooping with all the monsters because i maybe just a legend but im not a good fighter so i really thankfull for everybody helping out with how to fight but this i thought could be a way to use open crew.

I started with skullforts opening crew then thry clear the fort but now i defeated skellyships and one kraken while i almost died i put crew open and politely asked the pirates if they could help me and they like it they jump in the middle of action and get fast rewards and i survived :D so far they just quit after turning in loot and then i close crew and go on with solo play :)

Please don't think I am picking on anyone or calling them cry babies. I am merely offering another avenue that might make a difference. I have been sailing solo on brig since a couple of days after it first came out. I tried sloop the other day for first time in a long time, and I had to quit the game. Too slow for my taste and didn't feel right.

• @genuine-heather I think for me, I don't like to leave that anchor down. No matter which boat I am in. Even when I used to sail sloop, one or two man, we rarely let that anchor stay down. But you are right. There are several reasons you might want to leave it down, and that is one of the downfalls of a brig that I mentioned as well.

• First i solo played brig when i encountered my first kraken like 2 or 3 months ago it was awesome but i sank and all my chickens drown so i turned solo sloop because there where no such encounters for sloop. However i dont like the sloop constantly turning the wrong way.. now sloops get attacked by monsters so im back brigatine for it stays on its route i can do funny stuff shile the boat just goes where i pointed it :) and now i can call in extra pirates when its too much to fight alone i get 2 so a bigger chance to survive problematic encounters ^^

• @genuine-heather @NoFears-Fun b-but that's rule #1... don't drop the anchor D:

• @xcalypt0x said in Why I choose the Brigantine when I sail solo over the sloop:

@genuine-heather @NoFears-Fun b-but that's rule #1... don't drop the anchor D:

Rules are made to be broken. Arr!

• @nofears-fun I've read that you can bail water through the tentacle and water will pass through.

• Respectfully, I disagree with all your points, except the speed one.

1. In a sloop, you can bail without moving by standing on the stairs close to the window and simply rotating your camera.
    2. In a sloop, you don't even have to jump down to get to your cannonballs and you can directly jump off your wheel to a cannon.
    3. The sloop having 2 levels allows you to have different type of gushers. Therefore, chances are that you're going to sink slower than a brigantine would.
    4. Intimidation only works on the inexperienced.
    5. There is a spot on the Sloop that makes it impossible for someone (even you) to pick up your loot. The only way to get it is by scuttling.

That being said, all of this is personal preference.

• @siriondb said in Why I choose the Brigantine when I sail solo over the sloop:

Respectfully, I disagree with all your points, except the speed one.
    [...]

I'm going to be the one disagreeing on his speed point.
    The Sloop easily outpaces the Brig when managed correctly.

• I love the brigantine, but when I see a Kraken I just automatically give up. :p

• @xcalypt0x so am I.

• I wouldn't say the brig is any easier to bail than the sloop. In the sloop you only have to strafe 5 feet back and forth between the window and lower deck.

• @NoFears-Fun

Let me get the obvious thing out of the way, it is a preference thing in the end and both are viable options. My recommendation would be for people to figure out what suits them best.

I personally am not a fan of the brigantine, it is my least favorite ship. The reliability, ease of use and handling are my reasons for preferring a sloop. On top of that I love having an elevated level to sit on (the patch is my most comfortable area ;) )

Below are my reasons for preferring a sloop based on the criteria you mention.

1 - Speed, speed, speed.

I enjoy speed, but I am in no rush. In PvP I prefer the handling of a sloop over the additional speed. It provides me better control of my naval positioning and avoid being boarded. Even when deciding to stay near and not just haul myself out of there. I feel it provides me with more options to consider in combat.

For the new AI threats I don't need speed, I am going to battle it. Usually lowering my speed even on a sloop.

1. The brig is by far and away the easiest ship to bail water from.

I think the sloop is as easy to bail and easier to repair. Also easier to manage damage hitting the areas already opened up to save on plank usage.

3 - Getting from your wheel to your cannons is much easier and faster on a brig than any other ships.

Just jump over the wheel for a sloop and the cannonball barrel is on deck. I personally don't think that the difference is very noticeable between the two.

4 - Takes a little longer for water to fill the boat.

The sloop provides more than enough time to do the same actions, due to requiring less work to maximize its potential.

5 - Intimidation factor.

I have no need to be an intimidating factor. I actually enjoy the perks of being considered a non threat by some, as this provides opportunities for sneaky plays or the element of surprise.

Also, provides some great interaction with other sloop crews of a more friendly nature.

Not to mention rolling up to a galleon as a solo sloop to provide some advice has been some of the most entertaining moments on the seas.

A sloop is also easier to tuck away behind a large rock.

6 - More places to hide loot.

I showboat my loot near my anchor usually or even on the roof, so this benefit would be lost on me.

Maybe I just need to try out the brigantine more, who knows...

• @cotu42 A couple of quick counter points. For me, the handling of the brig in ship to ship combat is a bit easier, I can fly around the ship so much better on a brig. And, the brig doesn't bounce around as much on the waves, making cannon shots a bit easier.

I do agree, there is great value in the sloop and it wasn't my intention to say there wasn't. Just trying to point out another option, since most of the people posting about solo play complain about PvP or other encounters that, to me, seem a bit easier to avoid in a brig over a sloop.

Based on past posts and even this one, I know you don't mind and I dare say probably look for PvP. Not everyone does. So my post was more about an alternative that might help people that don't.

• @nofears-fun I agree if your solo purpose is to flee all pvp situations without fail, the brigantine might be more up that alley.

I do indeed do not shy away from battles. If I have nothing on board of interest to me that is, which by now is more than for most pirates.

The ships all have their strength and weaknesses. So, I would encourage people to try it out a couple of times. Playing on a ship also is the best way to learn what flaws a ship has.

As stated I might want to give the brig another chance. Maybe you can show me once how to hone this vessel and blow my mind 🤯

• @cotu42 Challenge accepted matey, you can join me anytime and we can give it a go.

• Well i tried solo vs a brig just a moment ago :D i dunno i really like the sloop it can be so much fun sailing around ^^

• OK, so I have been sailing the sloop solo this week, mostly to try and see if I could solo a kraken and under advice by @xCALYPT0x showing how to beat a kraken solo. And I guess I want to make sure I say this, I am not against the sloop. It does have its advantages and learning them is important, just like learning the advantages the other ships have. One thing I forgot about was the speed a sloop has against the wind with sails set to stupid. Honestly, it just is so much against logic that I can't cope with it, but I love it at the same time. You can't get that speed against wind in either of the other two ships no matter how stupid you set those sails.

Also, @KnifeLife and I sailed solo two nights ago, got the kraken and fairly easily dispatched it. Last night, solo sailing the sloop on two gaming sessions. Second one, got the kraken (I think I have nailed down maximizing your chance for a kraken, or at least the best time to try and get one) and killed it, solo, on a sloop. Can't do that on a brig. Heck, the brig is the hardest ship of them all to fight a kraken in. So there are advantages to each ship, try them. If you are solo, try both the sloop and the brig. Sail them both long enough to be familiar with them and then decide what suits your playing style. For me, I need more kraken kills, so I will sail them when solo until I get the kraken kills done. Then back to the brig most likely. But I think my hesitation on using the sloop will be greatly diminished after this week.

• i think you 4got to mention 1 big detail :) if u get into a kraken on Brig
    = you dead
    its not easy for 3 ppl, and its imposible to kill when you solo on brig

Views
1 out of 26