Expanding the Trading Companies to Encourage Cooperation

• Hey, sorry if something similar has already been suggested, but I bought the game a few days ago after noticing that a fair bit of stuff had been added since I played in the beta, and I got to thinking...

Currently, there's not much benefit in being friendly to other players. You don't have anything to gain from it and the chance of them betraying you (if they don't shoot you on sight) puts you booty at risk. Similarly, other players have no reason to trust you. Just for a bit of fun I've tried approaching players without giving any signs of aggression and their response has almost always been a few cannonballs heading my way. In a few instances they've even been quite friendly over chat, but why should they risk letting me stick around? Better to kill me and be safe. I think this is worsened by the fact that I've noticed a couple of players shouting "We're friendly!" etc and then attacking when I stop to see what they want. Now this is a fair tactic, we're all dastardly pirates after all, but it further decreases the trust between players. And I think this is a shame, because in most online games a lot of fun is to be had from those moments when you get into some shenanigans with random people you find. At the very least it adds a little variety when you meet someone and they don't immediately shoot you.

Now I should quickly point out that PvP is a big part of the game and it should stay that way. A passive/PvE mode would be boring due to the fact that, save from the Gods of RNG throwing a kraken your way, it would just be repeating voyages with no chance of failure to the point of tedium. So I thought that rather than preventing PvP, it would be good if there was a way to encourage players to be more amicable towards each other, but in a way that fits nicely into the game world. One way to get people to work together is to stick them on the same 'team'. In an online game this is akin to herding cats, but give people a reward for doing so and they'll normally play along. For a while at least.

And so this is where the Trading Companies fit in. At the moment they don't really do anything company-like and serve only as quest-givers. So my suggestion is to allow players to join a company, which would entail the following:

• Players can swap companies as much as they like, but with a small fee and/or cooldown to prevent abuse.
    • Being part of a company rewards you with a bonus to reputation earned for their voyages, and if in an alliance with a crew from the same company, the share of loot you receive increases. (I.e. All crews receive 100% of the loot value or something similar).
    • Being part of a company gives you access to company only items, such as a ship skin, clothing etc to aid identification. Possibly the company flag could show you map position to other members of the company, similar to the way the Reaper's Mask works. These are separate to the current reputation items, and players would only have access to them only while they are in the company.
    • Attacking/sinking a ship of the same company would result in being kicked from the company and/or a fine. Players would not be allowed to immediately rejoin the same company, but can do so after joining another company first (Incurring the cooldown in the process).
    • Players can attack different companies and people without a company at will.

I think this idea adds a little extra to the game in addition to trying to get people to cooperate a bit more, but doesn't prevent PvP if that's your thing. You can still attack and steal the loot of a same-company ship if you think it outweighs the penalty, and everyone else is fair game. It also doesn't encourage PvP between the companies, so if you're one of the guys who likes to sail about doing your own thing, you can just sign up for a company and theoretically you're safe from 1/3 of the population, the other 2/3 you can treat the same as before.

The idea could possibly be further expanding up with "territorial waters" of sorts, giving each company a section of the map where some AI vessels would patrol, and come to the aid of friendly company vessels under attack. But that's a little far-fetched so I'll leave it for now. If some drawbacks were needed, the Reaper's Mask could be reworked to show all company ships on the map, in addition to revealing itself, to make hunting them easier.

One problem I can see with this suggestion is balancing the players between the companies. The game could balance it on a per-instance basis, mixing players up to ensure a roughly equal distribution (It seems to move me about plenty anyway), but this would be tricky 80% of the playerbase was in a single company. But I would hope that it would be fairly self-moderating, as if a Merchant player was itching for a fight but there only Merchant ships around, they can switch company at any outpost. Or just attack them anyway, using their company as a ruse to get close before attacking. All's fair in love and war, I suppose.

Well I think I've subjected you to a big enough wall of text, if anyone wants to expand upon it or point out some glaring flaw that I've missed feel free!

Views
  • @whoopassmcgue said in Expanding the Trading Companies to Encourage Cooperation:

Hey, sorry if something similar has already been suggested, but I bought the game a few days ago after noticing that a fair bit of stuff had been added since I played in the beta, and I got to thinking...

Currently, there's not much benefit in being friendly to other players. You don't have anything to gain from it and the chance of them betraying you (if they don't shoot you on sight) puts you booty at risk. Similarly, other players have no reason to trust you. Just for a bit of fun I've tried approaching players without giving any signs of aggression and their response has almost always been a few cannonballs heading my way. In a few instances they've even been quite friendly over chat, but why should they risk letting me stick around? Better to kill me and be safe. I think this is worsened by the fact that I've noticed a couple of players shouting "We're friendly!" etc and then attacking when I stop to see what they want. Now this is a fair tactic, we're all dastardly pirates after all, but it further decreases the trust between players. And I think this is a shame, because in most online games a lot of fun is to be had from those moments when you get into some shenanigans with random people you find. At the very least it adds a little variety when you meet someone and they don't immediately shoot you.

This is not true, if you are planning on sticking around for a couple of hours having other ships in your alliance is beneficial.

The betrayal part usually comes into play when: alliances are formed at a skullfort, one of the parties is planning to call it a night or ice they just want to spice it up.

Now I should quickly point out that PvP is a big part of the game and it should stay that way. A passive/PvE mode would be boring due to the fact that, save from the Gods of RNG throwing a kraken your way, it would just be repeating voyages with no chance of failure to the point of tedium. So I thought that rather than preventing PvP, it would be good if there was a way to encourage players to be more amicable towards each other, but in a way that fits nicely into the game world. One way to get people to work together is to stick them on the same 'team'. In an online game this is akin to herding cats, but give people a reward for doing so and they'll normally play along. For a while at least.

And so this is where the Trading Companies fit in. At the moment they don't really do anything company-like and serve only as quest-givers. So my suggestion is to allow players to join a company, which would entail the following:

• Players can swap companies as much as they like, but with a small fee and/or cooldown to prevent abuse.
      Personally believe a cooldown would be the best option here to prevent swapping for effective reasons (in game 24 hours sounds decent)
    • Being part of a company rewards you with a bonus to reputation earned for their voyages, and if in an alliance with a crew from the same company, the share of loot you receive increases. (I.e. All crews receive 100% of the loot value or something similar).

I am against providing 100% to any alliance, unless there is a negative aspect to is. No reason to reward people for 100% for work they didn't commit.

• Being part of a company gives you access to company only items, such as a ship skin, clothing etc to aid identification. Possibly the company flag could show you map position to other members of the company, similar to the way the Reaper's Mask works. These are separate to the current reputation items, and players would only have access to them only while they are in the company.
      The cosmetics idea I like, broadcasting your position not so much.
    • Attacking/sinking a ship of the same company would result in being kicked from the company and/or a fine. Players would not be allowed to immediately rejoin the same company, but can do so after joining another company first (Incurring the cooldown in the process).
      Losing the association seems logical, a fine is harder to get behind due to it would be for the entire crew and if o e guy shoots even if the rest disagrees shouldn't have an impact on their gold.
    • Players can attack different companies and people without a company at will.

I think this idea adds a little extra to the game in addition to trying to get people to cooperate a bit more, but doesn't prevent PvP if that's your thing. You can still attack and steal the loot of a same-company ship if you think it outweighs the penalty, and everyone else is fair game. It also doesn't encourage PvP between the companies, so if you're one of the guys who likes to sail about doing your own thing, you can just sign up for a company and theoretically you're safe from 1/3 of the population, the other 2/3 you can treat the same as before.

This might make it feel a bit forced and is why I would like there to be more of a negative side to the association than just giving bonuses.

Like you gain 25% more with the company of choice, but a 15% decrease for the rest.

That would result that the benefits outweigh the negatives in most cases, but it might not be neglected.

I would like the choice to not be in a company a valid choice other than just the worse in every aspect.

The idea could possibly be further expanding up with "territorial waters" of sorts, giving each company a section of the map where some AI vessels would patrol, and come to the aid of friendly company vessels under attack. But that's a little far-fetched so I'll leave it for now. If some drawbacks were needed, the Reaper's Mask could be reworked to show all company ships on the map, in addition to revealing itself, to make hunting them easier.

Personally never implement guards on the sea.

One problem I can see with this suggestion is balancing the players between the companies. The game could balance it on a per-instance basis, mixing players up to ensure a roughly equal distribution (It seems to move me about plenty anyway), but this would be tricky 80% of the playerbase was in a single company. But I would hope that it would be fairly self-moderating, as if a Merchant player was itching for a fight but there only Merchant ships around, they can switch company at any outpost. Or just attack them anyway, using their company as a ruse to get close before attacking. All's fair in love and war, I suppose.

Well I think I've subjected you to a big enough wall of text, if anyone wants to expand upon it or point out some glaring flaw that I've missed feel free!

• This is not true, if you are planning on sticking around for a couple of hours having other ships in your alliance is beneficial.
    The betrayal part usually comes into play when: alliances are formed at a skullfort, one of the parties is planning to call it a night or ice they just want to spice it up.

Maybe with alliances, but coming across random people you have virtually no reason to trust them.

I am against providing 100% to any alliance, unless there is a negative aspect to is. No reason to reward people for 100% for work they didn't commit.

Could be 75%? Or a different benefit entirely?

This might make it feel a bit forced and is why I would like there to be more of a negative side to the association than just giving bonuses.

Like you gain 25% more with the company of choice, but a 15% decrease for the rest.

That would result that the benefits outweigh the negatives in most cases, but it might not be neglected.
    I would like the choice to not be in a company a valid choice other than just the worse in every aspect.

Yeah that's actually a much better idea. I imagined to advantage to not be in a company being that you can attack anyone freely, but I do prefer your suggestion.

Personally never implement guards on the sea.

Like I said, it's a bit far-fetched. I was putting it out there because a few more ships on the sea could make things interesting, but it definitely wouldn't be to everyone's taste.

Views
1 out of 3