Changing Loot Dynamics On Water - The Sea Currents

• alt text

I've been suggesting a system of sea currents long before skelleton ships came into the game and introduced some farily difficult times in picking loot from the water. With this new method, players can take their time or even have unpredictable emergent encounters, but the loot will remain in the game at all times, only requiring the knowledge of the players to know where the loot floated to through the currents of the sea.

Loot no longer sinks: As part of this new system, loot will no longer sink and dissapear, now it will follow sea currents until it hits an island.

Sea current dynamics: In the image posted above, the colors represent different behaviours in the currents. Let' go over each one:

Purple: Is the sea current that surrounds the shroud, from the furthest location reachable with a ship. Every piece of loot that falls in the shroud will always return to the main map, therefore this current is mostly in one direction.

Red: Is the sea current that repells loot. Usually loot that float to these areas will not reach the outposts, mostly meant as a protection to outpost to dissalow for loot to wash ashore them. The current will lead the loot back to the other green and yellow currents.

Green: Is the strong current that takes the loot and drags it towards the bigger islands. All major islands will be where the majority of the floating loot will end up on, making it easier to grasp the current dynamics.

Yellow: Is the weaker current that usually takes the loot towards the nearest green current, loot can hit smaller islands in the way and get stuck in them, but they have no priority.

Loot Traits: In every current, loot will move at a speed slower than a sprint-swimming player but faster than a pirate swimming while holding an item. They should maintain their glint. They should also be mindful of objects, like rocks, sea posts and outposts, and float around them in some radius. After reaching any island's shore, they should hit the beach and stay there until the game normally refreshes the island, which should be around 2-3 ingame days.

I understand that this isn't a very precise and in depth suggestion, but it's something I believe would be a positive addition to the game, allowing for loot to remain in play for longer and give players some new systems to fall back to in case of having to take massive hauls of treasure from the water without stressing over an arbitrary time limit, only needing to take heed to where the sea is taking the loot.

Views
  • This is an amazing idea , new mechanics are what this game needs , and this is a really good one , storms could send the loot on random islands or maybe even make it rain on nearby boats , maybe a bit extreme but just an example of how much could be done with this concept.

• This is an awesome idea, however, I'm not sure if the SoT servers could maintain keeping this many physics-enabled items active at one time. Loot currently sinks so it can despawn, just like barrels and ships. It helps keep the servers running smoothly. The servers are really what constrain this idea

It's also one of those ideas that needs to fight against all over ideas that add server load, like increasing the number of active ships/players on a server at one time

• I love this idea mainly because I've lost loot from despawn so many times. I wish the loot float time was extended at least for a half hour even. That would be long enough to reach a beach I would think. I'm not sure the servers could handle keeping track of everything but if there was a way to do this I would be 100% for it!

• @ambiguousmonk it's not just the servers, it's the memory load of the game as well.
    One of the devs made an interesting point, which was then answered a little more by Joe himself that the reason mermaid statues were taken out of the game was to save MEGABYTES of data.

If we suddenly had spontaneous levels of treasure materialising in a game client, it could prove catastrophic for the gamer and their experience.

• Still an awesome idea though!

• @sshteeve realistically speaking, players have already pushed boundaries of the server's limit on physics based items floating in the water, during those times people filled their ships with crates and then proceeded to sink the ship: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5woR_rvrs

Now I'm not saying that the game handled it like it was nothing, but I am saying that SoT's limitations aren't as big as most make them out to be, especially because the suggested system is intended to keep loot afloat only until it hits an island, after that it will despawn after the natural refresh cycle of the server (2-3 ingame days is what I suppose).

• @urihamrayne Frist off this is a fantastic idea and one which i would find impressive if implemented. Unfortunately I don't think Rare could program somthing like this anytime soon. They have issues with having players change ship types midsession. This i feel is a big ask, but what you suggest would pale in comparison. I mean to have the servers not only keep track of each object but then also have to calculate a trajectory for each and slowy move them overtime. I can't even imagin how stress that would put on the servers assuming if all objects are handel 100 percent by the server which i'm not completly convince they are. It seems as some properties are handled by the client so the limitation of the client have to be considered also. I mean if they could mimic a current system for the water also would amazing and add to the immersion and gamplay with more meaning to the "washed up" items we already find. Imagine that a regular chest lost thru a ship sinking lands on a island and turns to the shipweck version with barnecals and all. Thats makes for some unscrited stories right there.

Anyways can't hurt to disscuss this further and maybe one day we could see this added. May i place this one to The Master List.

• Sea currents would be great! using them to ur advantage to escape or persue your enemies.

• Great Idea, I'd love it for loot to wash up and people to find it.
    As it currently stands tho the loot sinks because of memory reasons. The server has to render the items and having to render possibly hundreds of items at a time would be killing for it.

But if rare could get it to work I'd love to see loot on the shore of an island just a bit away from where a battle took place.

• I would already love it to wash ashore calculated with sea currents without the physical voyage if thats to hard ill settle with it being beamed to a beach :D its such a waste to see it all sink

• @enf0rcer said in Changing Loot Dynamics On Water - The Sea Currents:

May i place this one to The Master List.

Sure.

Though once again, UE4 may be able to handle the kick of the suggested system, like I showed in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5woR_rvrs.

• Whether the server could handle it or not, i absolutly LOVE the idea!
    I really hope Rare sees this idea! * @KattTruewalker Kuch*

• while i think this idea might be good , i also think making the loot to float for much longer period of time without sinking is needed ...

• @urihamrayne said in Changing Loot Dynamics On Water - The Sea Currents:

@enf0rcer said in Changing Loot Dynamics On Water - The Sea Currents:

May i place this one to The Master List.

Sure.

Though once again, UE4 may be able to handle the kick of the suggested system, like I showed in the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO5woR_rvrs.

Your post has been added to the Master List Under Sea Currents. Thankyou for your contribution

Views
1 out of 15