IDEA: Sign Posts

• What if all the islands had a tree or rock that pirates could sign their name to. Smaller islands might just be a scrawl in the sand. Taverns might be carvings in the tables or bar. By doing so, the players gamertag appears on the surface for the current session, then slowly fades after they've signed off. It could say something like, "Captain Arcanic recently roamed this isle!" Or Captain Arcanic drank at this tavern!"

Besides offering some session based notoriety, I'm not even sure what use it would be. The idea just sounded interesting and fun in my head. Maybe to mark legs of a race?

If I saw a pirate's name scrawled on the wall of the tavern, then crossed swords with them the next day at the skull fort, it would be fun to say, "Hey! I heard you drank at the tavern last night? Give my regards to the ferryman when you see him!"

Any other ideas for uses?

Views
  • @captain-arcanic I wanted a message board type system on the outpost docks or Ferry of the Damned so that we could advertise to other crews that we were looking for an alliance or a battle.

• @xcalypt0x said in IDEA: Sign Posts:

@captain-arcanic I wanted a message board type system on the outpost docks or Ferry of the Damned so that we could advertise to other crews that we were looking for an alliance or a battle.

Allowing type text messages would probably be too scary and offensive, but a standard selection of a pre-generated messages would be cool.

• xcalypt0x roams the waters near here!
    • Captain Arcanic seeks alliance with like-minded scoundrels!
    • xcalypt0x is seeking new crew for his brigantine!
  • @captain-arcanic Agreed. The words/phrases that can be put on the board should be predefined by Rare and the player has to select them.

Maybe be able to select island names as well so that you can give other crews an indication of approximately where you will be.

• @captain-arcanic I really want to make a Dark Souls reference here about player written messages, but I'm pretty sure it's a little too off-color for these forums

I hope that statement is enough for Dark Souls fans to figure it out

Also: I love this idea. Kudos to you Captain-Arcanic. I'd be hysterical if players could write messages in a bottle and leave them on islands and such

• @ambiguousmonk Thanks! Love the bottle idea too. Seems like an easy add for minimal effort, but what do I know?

• @xcalypt0x said in IDEA: Sign Posts:

@captain-arcanic Agreed. The words/phrases that can be put on the board should be predefined by Rare and the player has to select them.

Maybe be able to select island names as well so that you can give other crews an indication of approximately where you will be.

"Gamertag" can be found near "location name."

A date written indicator would be good too, to get an idea if the message is still worth paying attention to.

• Parrots and seagulls delivering these kinds of messages would of course, also be awesome when pets arrive, but that's a whole different bucket of chum.

• @captain-arcanic Those would be extremely useful for delivering messages between crews that are already in an alliance.

• @captain-arcanic I feel i'm a bit late to this fascinating discussion which i originally interpretated as some sort of tagging system like one you might find in games like overwatch but now i see this idea turn to somthing quite different and is very much inline with the principles of this game. I love this idea of players having a tool or option to leave marker for social interaction.

I'll definitly be adding this Topic to the list.

• @captain-arcanic your post has been added to the list

Views
1 out of 11