Evolving Ships - Stepped Cosmetic Upgrades

• Another thread got me thinking...
    What if the longer a ship was on a server and in use, the cooler you could make it look? It starts with the standard cosmetic options, but every half hour of game time there's an increasing chance that you find unique, non-purchasable cosmetics.
    It would start with simple things like:

• Extra flags and pennants on all the lines.
    • Painted trim and metallic fittings.
    • Rugs and tapestries in the captain's cabin.
      But eventually you could actually change the hull type and the sail configurations, making your ship look like a Junk from the orient, or a clipper ship.

These changes would remain with the ship as long as it wasn't scuttled and remained on the server. Sinking wouldn't matter. I could see crews looking for others to pass their ship to when they were finished, just because they didn't want to see it go.

Views
  • @captain-arcanic So you want cosmetic items also as a form of in-session progression? Oh boy do i have an idea for you. As part of my upcoming project Rouge Wave i had a proposal just like this except it was tied to the amount of loot you hoarded in a session and would make your ship more pronounced to everyone on the server. More detials to come, but what you think about that.

• @enf0rcer said in Evolving Ships - Stepped Cosmetic Upgrades:

@captain-arcanic So you want cosmetic items also as a form of in-session progression? Oh boy do i have an idea for you. As part of my upcoming project Rouge Wave i had a proposal just like this except it was tied to the amount of loot you hoarded in a session and would make your ship more pronounced to everyone on the server. More detials to come, but what you think about that.

That's certainly an interesting concept, but I'm not sure I would like being forced to hoard my loot to get the cosmetics. I'd be down with tying it to how much I've turned in though. The ideas are similar though.

• @captain-arcanic said in Evolving Ships - Stepped Cosmetic Upgrades:

@enf0rcer said in Evolving Ships - Stepped Cosmetic Upgrades:

@captain-arcanic So you want cosmetic items also as a form of in-session progression? Oh boy do i have an idea for you. As part of my upcoming project Rouge Wave i had a proposal just like this except it was tied to the amount of loot you hoarded in a session and would make your ship more pronounced to everyone on the server. More detials to come, but what you think about that.

That's certainly an interesting concept, but I'm not sure I would like being forced to hoard my loot to get the cosmetics. I'd be down with tying it to how much I've turned in though. The ideas are similar though.

Well guess what i have a sequence for that to. The main idea revoles around getting around the EoL issue by tying in-seesion only rewards to ships to encorage theift as the main center to PvP. So hoarding won't the only way.

• Now this is what I think Sot needs as a incentive, it might not be perfect but its a good start. Like the idea already

• @captain-arcanic I like it, take the vote.

• The only blocker to this for the most part for those long sessions is that the servers tend to shoot up in ping and become less stable soon as you hit that 24-25hr mark if it's a crew or fleet that is grinding out what they have a goal to do in that time.

You will know when it hits that point as your ping will spike into the 1k+ range and you will have more jittery movement not just at the stairs on the ships but everywhere else.

• @captain-arcanic May i add this post link to my master list and use your post as a reference to My Rogue Wave Post as it has an overlaping idea.

• @enf0rcer sure

Views
1 out of 9