Incentivizing PvP

• Lol, this thread started great with good criticism and ideas but ended in a complete clownshow... "PvE-focused players have held the game hostage" What a joke.

• @niqsun said in Incentivizing PvP:

Lol, this thread started great with good criticism and ideas but ended in a complete clownshow... "PvE-focused players have held the game hostage" What a joke.

As I pointed out, whilst the OP is good it's all been said before and it was screeched out of this community by people who literally just want to farm the quests as-is without any possible risk. The risks can be mitigated with good ideas, but they wouldn't hear them: it was their way or no way. I refunded SoT when it became obvious that Rare were listening to these people over everyone else.

• @i-c-h-a-p-i

My friends and I were talking about this the other night, regarding the Pirate Legend title and wondered why it had nothing to do with PVP. It just seems kinda silly to only couple the title with PVE content.

Now contrast this, if they do come out with a new title it should also require just as much PVE as it does PVP, because that's what this game is, a PVP / PVE Hybrid. Our failure as fans and players to embrace that only harms the game overall.

While I personally enjoy the thrill of the hunt more than anything, it's also fun to do the PVE raid events and fend off other ships at the same time, because who wants an alliance; we're pirates for Davey Jone's sake.

• @swimplatypus7

I think it doesn't have anything to do with pvp, because coming into conflict with other players is one of the risks of sailing in the Sea of Thieves.
    Sometimes you'll encounter crews who want to fight, sometimes you'll be making friends, it all depends on the crews on the servers at the time. It makes it unpredictable and the choices are down to the players themselves rather than being 'encouraged' via some artificial incentive system.

• @arecbalrin said in Incentivizing PvP:

PvE-focused players have held the game hostage, which is why it's getting the Arena mode which will reduce world-PvP to the point of killing it.

Suggestions like this, to reward world-PvP and make it more extrinsically engaging have been made since day-1 and the only reason such very simple suggestions(much simpler than a whole new game mode) have not been entertained by Rare is because they're listening to the more vocal PvE players.

absolutely agree

• @i-c-h-a-p-i “For another rep vender so they add more stuff? lol this game is boring without pvp”
    Sounds like you might really enjoy the Arena with your perspective on the Sea of Thieves. I believe there will be a new vendor as well.

• @br0crastinat0r OPEN WORLD not Arena

• @br0crastinat0r said in Incentivizing PvP:

@i-c-h-a-p-i “ Quest or no quest people are still going to sink you lol.” Exactly. So why do we need a quest for it?

Every Athena grinder out there has said "I just want to max my Athena rank so I don't have to worry about it anymore just to hunt people down" literally 6 people said this yesterday. I feel bad for PvE players once everyone is Athena 10 :P 1 more level!!!! ahhh lol

• @i-c-h-a-p-i Sounds like exhausting pve content is the incentive for many to pvp. Since allegedly all pve grinders feel pvp is unnecessary in the pursuit of a level, title, or commendation. Only when all of the three are achieved one can feel free to pvp.
    Congratulations on nearing Athena 10. Sincerely. I’m probably around 4 or so. I prefer to spam barrels, explore islands and go with the flow.

• @katttruewalker

I agree with you on that, it's why I'm not exactly excited for the arena thing. I came back to FPS games for the first time in any real capacity since 2004 when botting and real hacking of FPS games was truly disgusting. I have yet to see such things in SOT.

With that said, over the last decade I spent a lot of time playing different MMO's and other "arena esport" type games.

It's merely my opinion that the addition of this different segregated game type is a mistake, just as it was a mistake to add them to MMO's.

It's not the arena specifically, but the unintended consequences of the almost unavoidable Rating system and rated match making and all the cancerous toxicity that comes with those systems.

The Dev's may shake their heads and say "can't happen to us", but history shows the course leads to a bad place.

Views
1 out of 46