From closed beta and pioneer participant to uninstalling

• Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember me from the early days of Sea of Thieves where I answered questions in stream chats and wrote a fan story here on the forums. I'm writing this post today because there's poison in the sea of thieves and it's not being mentioned. I've had the misfortune of running into this each time I've attempted to get back into a game I used to love.

I'm talking about toxic players. To let you know what I mean, this isn't players who attack anyone on sight or taking their things. This is a pirate game where attacking and thieving pirates are to be expected. What I'm talking about is players who will take a 4-man crew from a galleon, jump aboard a sloop and grief the solo player or duo by killing them repeatedly, spouting taunts and overall nasty comments over voice-chat and stopping a scuttled ship from sinking fully.

I don't expect the developers to do anything about this because I don't know how to fix this and I don't think they give a [Mod Edit - Swearing]. I do however believe this needs to be known as a phenomenon within your beloved game that has the potential of leaving a foul taste in the mouths of new players and veterans alike.

As much as I once loved this game, these kinds of players are far too frequent for me to ignore, so this will be my final interaction with this game and its community.

So long pirates, fair winds to ye.

Views
  • A shame to hear mate. The solution to any toxic pirates on the seas is scuttle and leave the server. Start a new session and try again. There's no rush to become legend as we have to wait until The Arena drops to even see if they have any PL lore and adventure. I've been there with trolls and toxic pirates. All of which I have reported.

Advice to all who come across negativity. Just keep working on it or take a break.

• Odd post... I feel like these situations are easy to avoid. In fact what is described has only happened to me once but I provoked it somewhat as I may have stole and sold a chest. I also didn't scuttle because when the opportunity presents itself, I like to practice pvp. Anyways, what is described doesn't seem like a reason to leave.

• Welcome to online gaming... You might as well quit every other online game if you have a hard time dealing with toxic people.. I mean seriously.

• @caladrien

Ahoy there.... I remember you and the wonderful stories and posts you made and I'm sorry to hear this has been your experience recently.

What I would say is that we have ways of reporting such players, and it's only by making a stand and doing so that we can ever hope to discourage these types of behaviours. If pirates who are opposed to these appalling encounters are chased away then the others become the majority.

To say it's just a feature of online gaming is a bit of a cop out in my opinion, it's only a feature if we allow it to remain unchallenged.

• @caladrien Swearing is not allowed on the forums, so your post has been edited.

Also, if you believe a player has been toxic in the game, you can report them to Xbox Live here. You can also submit a support ticket to Rare Player Support.

• @caladrien
    Hello Caladrien, my Fellow Countryman...We have indeed missed your great stories. Telling you that what you have endured ,never happens to me would be a flagrant lie...It has happened before and it will happen again, i fear.
    Spawn camping is something for little children , talking somebody down who tries his best to speak their language is simply very easy but oh sooo small...We should play one time together and speak solely in our own language , i bet they would be totally disorientated as they would think we would mock them ...and be damn sure that i will...

If you only play for the sole reason to destroy someone's fun then the Earth itself should crack open and swallow them..." Wake up, this is internet" , bwaaaark ,i puke on that statement...Every unknown person has the potential to become a Friend and even if one is not looking for a friend , then still play fairly and keep the verbal trash in the bag where it belongs...

More and more people give up on multiplayer games because people can't play fair or can't stop putting people down in a verbal way. Yep, verbal way , because if you would come across them in the street they wouldn't dare to look you in the eye...

Mr Caladrien , YOU are thousends of times better than those ( - Hold it , George , the anger fumes are curling out of yer ears ...* Captain Tearface , stop holding him down...Let him rage ...For once he is right ) nogoods...The game is still the same , can still reawake your love for the Pirates and the Sea ...Take some time off, let the cut heal and take that helmswheel again...And if it happens again , do like i do , i don't grant them anymore the favour of putting me down, i don't let them kill me over and over again on the same respawn point and mock me because i have a heavy accent and can missunderstand something...i walk away , start a new game and 5 minutes later a totally different and pleasant story can be started...

Rare , cannot be hold responsible for the people that play their game...But , you , Sir, you have the ability to put your joy and mental wellness at first spot by pushing a few buttons...Don't let them win, Sir , they have won more than enough by putting likewise souls as yourself away from games...

Anybody can come in and destroy me in the game and bury me in a grave filled with verbal sludge , ...but like Lazarus , i will crawl out and start anew on a different server...They silenced me more than long enough , the years that last ,in wich i can really enjoy a game i never stopped loving, those years ...They won't take from me...

Mr Caladrien, think of yourself, and do what you like or love to do...i can't tie you in this game but if you love this game , then don't let a few silly punks take you down...

Views
1 out of 7