Choose your own installation folder.

• So I know that you are able to redirect the installation to a certain Hard drive from the Microsoft Store or even from the Windows Settings once installed but is it possible to move all those SoT files in a specific folder?

I want to dedicate one of my SSDs to gaming only but each time I install the game it creates 3 folders at the root of the drive... it's kind of annoying.

I want to move those 3 folders to a dedicated "Sea of Thieves" folder...

Views
  • wow am I really the only one that it bothers to not have full control over where a game installs itself ?? lol

• @dotcomrobots morning matey,

It may have just been the time of day that you posted, as it was in the middle of the night here in the UK.
    I would send out the feelers to the likes of @Musicmee , @PersonalC0ffee , @SirioNDB and I think @FishSt1ck play on PC so they may have an answer for you.

• @sshteeve Thank matey!

@dotcomrobots Ahoy matey!

All you can do is move the game install (even after install) to a new directory using the instructions below. You can't micromanage Windows 10 apps as you could back in t' old days.

Try the following steps to move apps:
    1: Press Start menu and click Settings.
    2: In Settings, click on System and click on Apps and features tab.
    3: Click on the app that you would like to move to a different drive.
    4: You will see Move and Uninstall options. Click Move button and then select a drive of your choice to move the app.

• @musicmee Hi thanks

But the option is quite limited. I can't move the location of the game to a specific folder.
    I tried your method before posting here but unfortunately it does not offer the possibility to redirect the game into a folder therefore creating 3 folders on the Harddrive root.

• Sooooo... no solution for this issue?

• Please? Support? Help? Basic stuff? Changing installation FOLDER?
    Anyone?

• @dotcomrobots Its one of many Windows Store problems - there is no solution, this is just how it works.

• Can't do it... Just assume any UWP app in windows will break everything you know about how a PC game should work, or let you do... UWP can die in a fire IMO, and the only reason I play SoT on PC is because it is crossplay...

• Someone mentioned in Windows to go into Settings - System - Storage, and changing the folder for the Sea of Thieves "app" from there. If that does not work:

Once you know the exact "app" installation folder (something like C:\WindowsApps\Microsoft.SeaofThieves[string of numbers] if it's via Microsoft Store) you can install and use this Windows tool:

Create a folder with the same name on a different harddrive, then right-click drag it into your Microsoft Store folder, select Drop here - Junction, and give it the same folder name as your original.

From now on, Windows goes through this junction to your separate folder, and is none the wiser :) quite handy whenever your faster SSD runs out of space.

Once you uninstall/remove the game again, make sure to check if it only deleted the junction shortcut; if so you may also have to delete the original folder on your larger harddrive.

Views
7 out of 10