Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8

• @weakdexx Yes. I like that idea:-)
    But you could just light the fuse to make the gunpowder fog. Otherwise just leave them in the water as a little surprise. Boom, anchor drop. I don't think it just should be the green ones.

• @captntbear

Yes u should be able to fuse or leave it in water to be hit by enemy ship.
    And yes it should work for green and purple both with there own mechanics

• @enf0rcer thanks then

• @weakdexx said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs:

@enf0rcer

Damn i like AoD kinda setup. It will make the CGPB diffrent from the CCB.

Thanks

For the green one im with u. Like your idea there.

I'm glad you like it and i appreciate your ongoing supprt.

Not sure about a 80% decrease but thats just tweaking the numbers. Call it X% Decrease. let the dev's sort that out ;)

My intent to give numbers was for mostly argument sake to give more of idea how it would work. They where not ment to be set in stone and are definitly up to the devs to figure out. I now see this may have gave the wrong impression. I will make sure moving forward to use your advice. It was a valuable insight.

The purple needs a lil tweak if its up to me.
    I don't feel like the ship should be cursed to curse others.
    What if u shoot the enemy ship but to close in range u hit yourself?

Yes. The idea was to add a risk/reward structure to encourage unique tatic to take advantage of specific senarios which might occur to completly change the tide of a fight.
    I'll give a few examples of this.

1. Lets say your in a tight ship to ship fight and your ships haul is near full and your oppent ship is damged on the top but not taking water. You have a ballast CGPB on board. You blow it on your own ship which raises it up for a few sec to give your crew a chance to bucket and save the ship mean while you end up getting rammed by the emermy ship as they try to board you. They end up getting there ship cursed and is now sinking as there ship now taking water from the top deck.

2. This a personal senario of mine as i play solo alot. Your solo on a sloop you see a ship with treasure and want to board it but you can't leave your ship. Lets say you have a 2 Anchor CGPB on board so you manuver close the the enermies ship blow the keg while jumping over it the keg blows anchoring both ship while it boost allowing to land straight on to deck. You kill the the enermy pirates grab the loot and pop the 2 second keg when you get back to the ship unanchoring both ship you turn to saill one way while the enermy ship goes it's way.

1. I can see this being used by some of your most creative players outside of PvP to make some crazy Goldberg Machines like it will start with a ship with all sails up and then they pop a siren Gale keg droping the sails on a collion course with another ship with sails up casing that ship to go off in it's direction and hit an anchor keg near a ship with both it's sail and anchor down an so on.

In my opnion it should work as the green CGPB. When it explodes it leaves a "cloud" u sail tru or come in contact the effect becomes active.

Well it still will have a visual AOE but i see looking more like a plasma cloud that arcs the curse to all nearby ships the things is if the effect last then the toggle funtion wouldn't make sense.

Love that idea of dropping CGPB behind u. Making curse AoD so when being chased it can be a real defense mechanism. It will be harder to avoid a "cloudy area" than just the exploding barrel.

I wanted it to work more like mines as a Passive AoD weather then an Active AoD with active effects to preserve the counter play aspect cause ships has a low reaction time limit as there is alot of delay for ship action such as turning. If they pop a cloud and it stays there for a bit even if the drivers sees it by time he truns the helm to react he would still get cuaght by the time the ship actually starts to turn. Instead with a passive AoD a crew mate could sword lunge in front of the ship grab the keg a bring it on board. If there quick and skilled enough.

At least this is my line of thinking.

Imagine dropping 2 Anchor CGPB and have 2 small clouds behind u (1 left 1 right to spread area) now enemy ship MUST turn or they go into Anchor AoD and they drop anchor XD.

This exactly what i mean if it was like that it would be too OP as then any ship with a lot of Anchor CGPB could never be caught. Not even worth chasing.

• This is a separate discussion, but this just brought to mind that I would like variable length fuses. Multiple taps to increase the fuse length, 3-5-10 seconds.

• @archangel-timmy said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs:

This is a separate discussion, but this just brought to mind that I would like variable length fuses. Multiple taps to increase the fuse length, 3-5-10 seconds.

I very much like your idea. But you are correct this needs it's own post as it as a seperate discussion althou this does act as a surport mechinc that could discuss in context of this post. So if you make a spinoff post i will galdly upvote and surrport this idea. and if you could show your support by link it back to this one and @ me to your post i would appericate it.

• I love this idea. I'm mostly a PvE player, so I don't get a lot of use from cursed cannonballs. It's very difficult to get skellies with the green cannonballs so a barrel could help with those commendations and that style of gameplay.

• The idea is not a bad 1, but I am worried about its complexity. I think you could make it much simpler in design and have the same, or similar, overall effect.

• @nefnoj said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8:

I love this idea. I'm mostly a PvE player, so I don't get a lot of use from cursed cannonballs. It's very difficult to get skellies with the green cannonballs so a barrel could help with those commendations and that style of gameplay.

I'm thankyou for your support. I do think this will benifit both PvP and PvE elements to the game.

• @galactic-geek said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8:

The idea is not a bad 1, but I am worried about its complexity. I think you could make it much simpler in design and have the same, or similar, overall effect.

Originally the idea was far simpler and the CGPB did share an overall effect ,but the idea since had evolved. It was @TheTwistedTaste suggestion to add more varity an @BETSILL insight on CCB and how Purple and Green effects should be treated sperately which is what led to the change. BTW i wouldn't say the idea is that complicated but rather more well thoughout and structured in fine detail.

Althou if you have some thoughts on how to streamline this mechnic please feel free to share it. Also if my explianation sound to complex it stem from me using actual design terms. So it may sound to you more complicated then it actually is. If you have any question or are confused about somthing please ask. I will be happy to answer.

• @enf0rcer

If i didnt reply on a point u made it means we are on the same level.

in the examples u name about the purple ball and the cursed ship being able to curse others. It can all work yes. 2 and 3 are good examples. 1 not sure because u added/changed the original workings of the ballast ball. But its just an example.

Plasma cloud or cloud either way is good. Thats just visuals. Should be about the mechanic to start with. Mechanic = when exploded it lingers.

Active or passive AoD it can be both at the same time. Just like the normal GPB. U can just drop it and let them sail on it or u can shoot it next to there ship and still get the damage in.

So its passive to start with (the CGPB). U can drop it for them to either sail over or pick-up (as the defense tactic u pointed out)

If sailed over it explodes and leaves the lingering "(plasma)cloud". All effects take effect ofcourse.
    OR u can shoot it when they manage to just sail past it.
    Since it will explode with radius in the lingering "(plasma)cloud" u can still affect the enemy ship with it.

I dont think it would be too OP.
    Making just 2 CGPB anchor version u need about 4 to 6 anchorballs. When i play LONG session for more then 12 hours and im getting lucky i might got 10 anchorballs.
    That means in a 12 hour session i might get lucky enough to make 3-5 CGPB anchor version. Anyone who tends to sail longer and make more than those 3-5 to use, Ill happily sail into your minefield because of the massive time it took u to make this OP minefield.

And i can still chase u. I just have to make an extra turn and watch out. I can also decide to sail tru because i dont know what CGPB it is. Risk/Reward. After u dropped your 5? CGPB with or without hit i can still continue to chase u to sink u. Just takes more time if im getting caught in the anchor trap.

• @weakdexx said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8:

@enf0rcer

If i didnt reply on a point u made it means we are on the same level.

K got it.

in the examples u name about the purple ball and the cursed ship being able to curse others. It can all work yes. 2 and 3 are good examples. 1 not sure because u added/changed the original workings of the ballast ball. But its just an example.

For the ex 1 was to expand on the Toggle potion of the effects instead of simply going on way. This was a though on dealing with the ongoing problem of counter-play inhearnt to CCB effects this was a though that could help balence out effects as they could be used as counters of them selves adding more options to both combat and non-combat sernairos. I feel alot of tweaks would need to be made to effects to even them out. Right now i'm trying to think of ways to make the barrel useful. Anythoughs on this one?

Plasma cloud or cloud either way is good. Thats just visuals. Should be about the mechanic to start with. Mechanic = when exploded it lingers.

Actual the mechnic is when explodes immditely applies status effect range is extend from the point of target as the effect arcs from target to other targets. A potential target that comes into contact with an effected object has the effect trasnfered to it with a reset timer as if it were effect by the source. Your right the plasma ball is just a visual effect.

Active or passive AoD it can be both at the same time. Just like the normal GPB. U can just drop it and let them sail on it or u can shoot it next to there ship and still get the damage in.

While your correct that both active and passive AoD can exist together, your incorrect on how that applies. GPB are a definite example of passive AoD as the effect has to be triggered after entering the target zone as the affect is applied immeditly to all avialible targets in the area while Active AoD the effect can be trigered before entering as the effect is applied upon simply entering and being in the area while the effect is Active. If GPB were active AoD you could explode it leaving an effected are that would be a Damage over time(DOT) effect.

So its passive to start with (the CGPB). U can drop it for them to either sail over or pick-up (as the defense tactic u pointed out)

The Green CGPB's are both Passive and Active for as you could simple choose not to detonate it.

If sailed over it explodes and leaves the lingering "(plasma)cloud". All effects take effect ofcourse.

Plasma visual effect may linger a bit but the active effect is instant sorry if that was confusing.

OR u can shoot it when they manage to just sail past it.
    Since it will explode with radius in the lingering "(plasma)cloud" u can still affect the enemy ship with it.

I dont think it would be too OP.
    Making just 2 CGPB anchor version u need about 4 to 6 anchorballs. When i play LONG session for more then 12 hours and im getting lucky i might got 10 anchorballs.

But this still would increase the advantage to those playing in a seesion alot longer. I want a fresh player to still have option to counter. Rewarding skilled play.

That means in a 12 hour session i might get lucky enough to make 3-5 CGPB anchor version. Anyone who tends to sail longer and make more than those 3-5 to use, Ill happily sail into your minefield because of the massive time it took u to make this OP minefield.

You have a unique take on this situation. You seem to be more forward and long term thinker then most. I guess i'm just wanting to get ahead of compiants too far. I appreciate your insight on this matter.

And i can still chase u. I just have to make an extra turn and watch out. I can also decide to sail tru because i dont know what CGPB it is. Risk/Reward. After u dropped your 5? CGPB with or without hit i can still continue to chase u to sink u. Just takes more time if im getting caught in the anchor trap.

I feel you and me should sail together sometime.

• I recently had a thought about having CCB's having a secondary mechnic of being consumed item by the player appling a counter effect to other CCB's. Hey @BETSILL how would feel about this? I think it's a topic worth exploring and could be shared in this post as it would effect CGPB directly.

• @enf0rcer

I dont know how u do the nice "quote" thing and leave a awnser for each question. Ill do my best to make it understandable :)

Toggle option expansion:
    I see your point. Thinking of ways to defend against a new treat and how it should work. But going back to basic i think the curse from a CGPB should not be "better" more "options" than the orignial CCB. So the basic CCB sets the boundries of what is possible. a CGPB should stay inside these boundries. Makes sense?

Actual mechanic:
    Aye captain im with u on this one. This was probably not correctly understood on my side. Arcing! nice :) this sure would add to the tactical part of the use. Imagine the Grog CGPB! When they puke next to there crewmate it becomes sick and starts puking aswell. O wait u sleeping herezzzzz... now we both sleep haha.

Active / Passive:
    I get u. i thought diffrent of the active / passive but i see what u ment by it.

Hmm not sure where this fits in our discussion:
    We got green and purple.
    I still feel like there can be an active cloudlike curse.
    What about this?

• Green CGPB will be as discussed. The arcing one. No lingering area. It explodes, arc's and hits enemies to close. I got this right?

• Purple CGPB will leave a small cloud like area. I like the idea of dropping a CGPB behind u, detonating it (either lit, shoot or enemy ship sails on it) It leaves a small purplish cloud and when u sail into that u be affected by the curse. Again radius is smaller than the explosion of a normal GPB and the effects are less potent than a normal CCB.

The more i think about it... The more if feels correct to me.

New player the option to counter:
    Back to basics again. How does a new player counter/defend against the original CCB? When the enemy has long session?
    All they need to do is make a Curse Breaker! Its a CCB when u hit enemy ship u deny all curses on it. Now this Curse Breaker ball can be put in the GPB aswell. Use this on yourself and u got perfect defense for everyone! How bout that?
    Either find it in game like CCB or have it sold (max 1 per ship)
    Maybe u only allowed to buy it from NPC when u done all mermaids. Now u are Legendary Curse Breaker and u can buy 1 Curse Breaker ball per ship. When the Curse Breaker CGPB is used u are able to buy a new one. As long u got a Curse Breaker ball on ship, in inventory or got a CGPB on your ship u should not be able to buy one. OR Curse Breaker balls can only be found just as the normal CCB. Allright sorry was a spin-off but i think there is something there.

Im a unique pirate? how nice!

I feel we should sail indeed! If only to discuss this CGPB a bit because sometimes it gets a bit complex on the forums haha.
    Ill send u a PM.

• @enf0rcer

Since your quite keen with the forum on how to make post, link it and u even update it. How about start up a new tread on how to counter CB's. Maybe tag @BETSILL in it aswell.

@ENF0RCER u mention about eating a CCB. I mentioned a diffrent option but it can actually work together.

• @enf0rcer mate in the arena their adding a new gunpowder keg

• @closinghare208 said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8:

@enf0rcer mate in the arena their adding a new gunpowder keg

The Skeleton Gunpowder Barrel or something like that, the only difference was a x3 blast radius. I think that will be a good addition, but the CGPB's would add more fun options to combat and should still be considered even with the new addition.

• @closinghare208 said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8:

Actually i belive that keg will becoming sooner in as part of the shroulded spoils update.

• @archangel-timmy said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8:

@closinghare208 said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8:

The Skeleton Gunpowder Barrel or something like that, the only difference was a x3 blast radius. I think that will be a good addition, but the CGPB's would add more fun options to combat and should still be considered even with the new addition.

Definitely. Thanks for your support.

• @enf0rcer ok mate

• @archangel-timmy yes I saw the trailer mate

@enf0rcer

I dont know how u do the nice "quote" thing and leave a awnser for each question. Ill do my best to make it understandable :)

Just add spaces between those symbols when you hit the qoute option next to the reply.

Toggle option expansion:
    I see your point. Thinking of ways to defend against a new treat and how it should work. But going back to basic i think the curse from a CGPB should not be "better" more "options" than the orignial CCB. So the basic CCB sets the boundries of what is possible. a CGPB should stay inside these boundries. Makes sense?

Sure but i think CCB's themselves need a change to the boundries as thet require some tweaks. My reasoning to put these changes in effects for CGPB was to avoid the shortcoming while also highlighting the flaw the curses themselves so we can find solutions we could agree upon.

Actual mechanic:
    Aye captain im with u on this one. This was probably not correctly understood on my side. Arcing! nice :) this sure would add to the tactical part of the use. Imagine the Grog CGPB! When they puke next to there crewmate it becomes sick and starts puking aswell. O wait u sleeping herezzzzz... now we both sleep haha.

Actualy the "Arcing" Mechnic is tied to only the ship effects. But the idea to have it for the crew is and interesting one. The puking already tranfers inherently

Active / Passive:
    I get u. i thought diffrent of the active / passive but i see what u ment by it.

Great.

Hmm not sure where this fits in our discussion:
    We got green and purple.
    I still feel like there can be an active cloudlike curse.

For the Purple you mean.

What about this?

• Green CGPB will be as discussed. The arcing one. No lingering area. It explodes, arc's and hits enemies to close. I got this right?

• Purple CGPB will leave a small cloud like area. I like the idea of dropping a CGPB behind u, detonating it (either lit, shoot or enemy ship sails on it) It leaves a small purplish cloud and when u sail into that u be affected by the curse. Again radius is smaller than the explosion of a normal GPB and the effects are less potent than a normal CCB.

So you think the delivery properties of The green and purple should be fliped.
    Well I won't be opposed to this but lets hear what the other think about this.

The more i think about it... The more if feels correct to me.

You could be right.

New player the option to counter:
    Back to basics again. How does a new player counter/defend against the original CCB? When the enemy has long session?
    All they need to do is make a Curse Breaker! Its a CCB when u hit enemy ship u deny all curses on it. Now this Curse Breaker ball can be put in the GPB aswell. Use this on yourself and u got perfect defense for everyone! How bout that?

Sound good i like it. The PeaceBall kind of does this already as it prevents all CCB's from being fired but to hit a CCb to your oppent ship to negate all active effects they inflicted on your ship sound like a great idea. I'm making a sperate post on this very topic a will link it back here.

Either find it in game like CCB or have it sold (max 1 per ship)

Ok

Maybe u only allowed to buy it from NPC when u done all mermaids. Now u are Legendary Curse Breaker and u can buy 1 Curse Breaker ball per ship. When the Curse Breaker CGPB is used u are able to buy a new one. As long u got a Curse Breaker ball on ship, in inventory or got a CGPB on your ship u should not be able to buy one. OR Curse Breaker balls can only be found just as the normal CCB. Allright sorry was a spin-off but i think there is something there.

These are some great thoughts

Im a unique pirate? how nice!

I feel we should sail indeed! If only to discuss this CGPB a bit because sometimes it gets a bit complex on the forums haha.
    Ill send u a PM.

Nice hope to see you on the seas soon.

@enf0rcer

Since your quite keen with the forum on how to make post, link it and u even update it. How about start up a new tread on how to counter CB's. Maybe tag @BETSILL in it aswell.

@ENF0RCER u mention about eating a CCB. I mentioned a diffrent option but it can actually work together.

Done. I have added the link to the tread to the OP.
    Thanks agian.

• I like the idea, but I feel like this would have to be a rare item in the game. Smart players would drop a keg off their boat behind them if an enemy crew is directly behind them. I think that gives the crew doing it too large of an advantage because at least with the cursed cannonballs you have to be facing them. This would do a really good job at attacking people from your blind spot. With some tweaking, though it could be an awesome idea.

• @ENF0RCER I know I'm late, but I have some things to say about these.

• The cursed cannonballs already need some balancing, such as changing the effects and maybe making them rarer the more you have
    • Cursed bullets would make some sense, if they were made by whoever is making and distributing the cursed cannonballs. They would need to be separately found and loaded. Cursing the weapon could work, but wouldn't stay cursed for long.
    • Combining curses is an interesting topic, requiring some delving into the lore of how the Sea of Thieves's curses actually work, and if these in particular can mix. I would say they can, but are very random with their effects. Wanda reported testing so many on a particular ship it rose back out of the water and repaired itself, which no cursed cannonballs do anything close to (other than maybe the ballastball)
    • The idea of making the effects area denial can be replaced with far larger radius if needed for balance (on that topic, the idea of smashing a cursed cannonball at your feet)
  • @ultmateragnarok said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8:

@ENF0RCER I know I'm late, but I have some things to say about these.

• The cursed cannonballs already need some balancing, such as changing the effects and maybe making them rarer the more you have

I know that CCBs needs work and i have a whole other Topic Dedicated to that discussion called Counter Play Althou there is a solid playerbase on this Forum who just want them Removed entirely.

• Cursed bullets would make some sense, if they were made by whoever is making and distributing the cursed cannonballs. They would need to be separately found and loaded. Cursing the weapon could work, but wouldn't stay cursed for long.

There were discussion about this to but went know where as it would simply to difficult to balance with the current mechnics. If you want to take a Shot on it go ahead.

• Combining curses is an interesting topic, requiring some delving into the lore of how the Sea of Thieves's curses actually work, and if these in particular can mix. I would say they can, but are very random with their effects. Wanda reported testing so many on a particular ship it rose back out of the water and repaired itself, which no cursed cannonballs do anything close to (other than maybe the ballastball)

Yes i do think think it's a Topic worth exploring further. This game could do with some crafting system.

• The idea of making the effects area denial can be replaced with far larger radius if needed for balance (on that topic, the idea of smashing a cursed cannonball at your feet)

Well balancing out the effect area and limits all would be done in testing my goal is simply to expand on gameplay giving more options to players a give rise to more creative and interesting senarios. So what excatly is your thought on using CCB as a counter by Smashing them at your feet.

• @enf0rcer I was thinking somewhat like either making boarding slightly different by affecting a ship you are already on with a purple one, or AOE affecting everyone around you (including yourself) with a green one. The animation would take time where you cannot move or defend yourself, meaning if you were on a ship you could not instantly just slam it into the ground and drop and chor or something. The purple ones could also be used to help your ship. Say your crew can't raise the sails fast enough, just use a rigginball. If you need to escape quickly from an incoming ship, use an anchorball. If you want to sail straight in a storm, use a helmball. Or, if you want to stop a fight on deck and ask for peace, use a wearyball or jigball. If the enemies around you are on low health, you could use a venomball (and hope you don't die in the process). If you fancy a real pirate fight, use a grogball. You would be hit with the effect as well however.

• @ultmateragnarok said in Curse Gunpowder Kegs *Updated* 11/8:

@enf0rcer I was thinking somewhat like either making boarding slightly different by affecting a ship you are already on with a purple one, or AOE affecting everyone around you (including yourself) with a green one. The animation would take time where you cannot move or defend yourself, meaning if you were on a ship you could not instantly just slam it into the ground and drop and chor or something. The purple ones could also be used to help your ship. Say your crew can't raise the sails fast enough, just use a rigginball. If you need to escape quickly from an incoming ship, use an anchorball. If you want to sail straight in a storm, use a helmball. Or, if you want to stop a fight on deck and ask for peace, use a wearyball or jigball. If the enemies around you are on low health, you could use a venomball (and hope you don't die in the process). If you fancy a real pirate fight, use a grogball. You would be hit with the effect as well however.

My thoughts exactly.

Views
36 out of 63