Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - *Ended*

Hi all!

It's been a long time since we did a Live Q+A but we're back and we've strongarmed Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune to answer your questions.

The Q+A will be live between 5.30pm and 6.30pm GMT. For those of you not within the UK, you can check out what time this starts in your timezone using this extremely handy converter so that you don't miss out.

Ooo. Are we ready?

@xraylexx We're live!

From Blair on Twitter: What is the biggest influence in your writing, sorry cant go on forums tonight

I have a question. Are any of the specific places in the book featured in the game? For example, Larinna’s Banana stand at the outpost or Ramsey’s den?

@muse986 Is this book canon as far as lore goes?

@xcalypt0x there are cannons in it... ho ho ho

@muse986 said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

From Blair on Twitter: What is the biggest influence in your writing, sorry cant go on forums tonight

Hi Blair, when you're eventually able to read this! I read a lot of fantasy and sci-fi growing up so influences include all of the nerdy mainstays like Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. The Discworld series was a huge influence when I sat down to try and flesh out Sea of Thieves, because those books managed to take a trope-filled fantasy city and imbue it with more depth and a sense that it might actually all work, even though it's vampires, trolls and zombies.

If you had to pick a favorite (it's always hard to choose), which was your favorite character to write?

Did any of SoTs content creators give you inspiration for the storyline?

Was it you who decided to write the book or did Rare apparoach you? If so how did that process work? :)

@xraylexx said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

I have a question. Are any of the specific places in the book featured in the game? For example, Larinna’s Banana stand at the outpost or Ramsey’s den?

Hi XRayLexx! Many of the places in the book are inspired by in-game locations but not necessarily a direct correlation, as I didn't want to constrain anything that might happen in the game's future. That said...

SPOILER ALERT(!)

As you'll learn later in the book, Thieves' Haven is strongly hinted to be the safe harbour that Ramsey and his crew discover on their first night in the Sea of Thieves. I spent a lot of time wandering around there during the game's Technical Alpha phase trying to work out how pirates could set up camp.

@Taskbaarchitect

Ahoy there and welcome to the forums - I don't have the novel yet, still waiting on delivery but could you give us some idea of how you went about planning this work?

Also, who is your favourite author of all time?

@muse986

Ahoy Chris!

What was the hardest and possibly easiest part about writing a book about a pirate based video game?

@taskbaarchitect thanks! I’m sure I’ve banana stand. Cool.

When can we expect fishing or will fishing ever be a thing!?

@xcalypt0x said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

@muse986 Is this book canon as far as lore goes?

Hi Calypto! Yes, the book is canon within the lore, however, one of the great things about pirates is that they like to swap stories, embellish their tales and exaggerate. So some bits are more 'canon' than others, and it's up to you guys to find the grain of truth that lurks at the heart of the legends...

@muse986 Will the book go into what brought the demise of the Pirate Lord or will it explain why he's a living ghost?

@taskbaarchitect will there be a sequel. And will it feature Pets or Fishing or Cursed Fishing? :)

@taskbaarchitect are there any creatures/enemies that are in the novel that are confirmed to be included in future updates? Such as evil mermaids or cannibals etc?

Havnt read it those are just examples, but would like to in the future, will there be a way to read this online at any point?

@ionei-falcon said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

If you had to pick a favorite (it's always hard to choose), which was your favorite character to write?

Hi IOnEI Falcon! That's a great question and fortunately it's got an easy answer - Little n*d is absolutely my favourite of the pirates to write, because he gets most of the deadpan lines, but I also really enjoyed introducing the world to Stitcher Jim. Who knew he'd grow up to be so famous? Sniffle

@taskbaarchitect

Couple of questions here from someone who can't get on the forums at the moment;

Can you tell us what timeframe the novel covers and where this is within the overall history of Sea of Thieves?

Does the novel reference existing lore or is it an add on to that in the Tales/Comic books?

Ahoy Chris! Was there anything (a character, a story, etc...) that you wanted in the book but were unable to fit in for any reason?

@ant-heuser-kush said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

Why Athena's Fortune? Were there any other names?

Hi Ant, there is a reason for the book being called Athena's Fortune, but it's a spoiler so you'll have to read to the end to see. ;) I did suggest a couple of alternatives, including "Twin Sails", but the team at Rare got to have their say and Athena's Fortune was the winner.

@taskbaarchitect Will you be writing more sea of thieves novels in the future?

@taskbaarchitect

How did you choose the particular writing style used in the novel?

@captain-faicore said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

Did any of SoTs content creators give you inspiration for the storyline?

Hi Captain Falcore! Believe it or not, most of the story was locked down before the game was actually released, because book publishing can take a surprisingly long time, so there weren't any content creators around to take inspiration from - everyone was under NDA! That said, it's always fun to try and work homages to Sea of Thieves Insiders and Pioneers in as easter-eggs (Hi Clumsy George!) and it's been fantastic to see all of the lore videos, game shows, streams and everything else that have cropped up since the game launched. :)

@taskbaarchitect

We have a lot of good and aspiring writers in the community, what would be your top 3 tips for creating a great piece of writing?

@Taskbaarchitect
    So, what are you writing on next? 😉

Can we expect more SoT Novels from you or are you done with Pirates?

@katttruewalker said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

@Taskbaarchitect

Ahoy there and welcome to the forums - I don't have the novel yet, still waiting on delivery but could you give us some idea of how you went about planning this work?

Also, who is your favourite author of all time?

Hi Katt! Having worked at Rare I already had a good idea of how the game was shaping up and things that people, both on and off the team, were curious to learn more about. The first step was to create an outline that detailed the basic premise of the book (split over two time periods, with one half following the same journey new players go on with the other half exploring the very first days of the Sea of Thieves) and then write a list of bullet points for what would happen in each chapter.

That then went off to Amanda, my fantastic editor over at Insight Editions, and also over to Rare for their approval. Once everyone was happy that the story matched the tone of the game and what was planned for launch (and beyond) I was able to get to writing the first draft, which then went off to Rare for feedback and review. The rest, as they say, is pirate history. :)

Hi, plans on the near future for add other languages like Spanish?

@musicmee said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

@muse986

Ahoy Chris!

What was the hardest and possibly easiest part about writing a book about a pirate based video game?

Hi Musicmee! The easiest part for sure was coming up with names for places in the world, because the dev team had already done the heavy lifting there! The hardest part, at least at first, was trying to strike a balance between having character who felt like pirates but didn't spend the entire novel growling and saying "Yaarrr" to one another. That'd get really irritating by the end of chapter one!

@capt-soul-beard said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

@muse986 Will the book go into what brought the demise of the Pirate Lord or will it explain why he's a living ghost?

Hi Cpt. Soul Beard! Athena's Fortune mostly focuses on the life of the Pirate Lord and how he came to earn that title. His untimely demise is another story...

@katttruewalker 30 years before present day SoT for Ramsey

@a-cranky-eskimo said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

@taskbaarchitect are there any creatures/enemies that are in the novel that are confirmed to be included in future updates? Such as evil mermaids or cannibals etc?

Havnt read it those are just examples, but would like to in the future, will there be a way to read this online at any point?

You can buy it as an e-book!