Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - *Ended*

Ahoy there @Taskbaarchitect Curious to know what the reasoning behind having two separate storylines. Was there a reason you didn't want to focus specifically on just the pirate lord? (in context I'm still reading through the book) Thanks!

Will you guys had stats to weapons/Items/clothes that increase damage to AI

@katttruewalker said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

@taskbaarchitect

Couple of questions here from someone who can't get on the forums at the moment;

Can you tell us what timeframe the novel covers and where this is within the overall history of Sea of Thieves?

Does the novel reference existing lore or is it an add on to that in the Tales/Comic books?

Answer the first: in terms of timeframe, that's a tricky question when you reach the Sea of Thieves, as it's a mysterious realm full of curses, supernatural spirits and really good skin-care treatments. Stitcher Jim has certainly been around for a while and looks in pretty good health. As such it's tricky to pin any one tale down to a particular date, even if you have a copy of the Pirate Times...

Answer the second: The novel makes a few fleeting references that tie it into the Tales book and comics, both of which I had the good fortune to help oversee before staring to write this story, but we wouldn't to keep spinning you the same yarn over and over so each instalment has its own tale to tell. And that's why you should definitely buy them all. ;)

@taskbaarchitect said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

SPOILER ALERT(!)

As you'll learn later in the book, Thieves' Haven is strongly hinted to be the safe harbour that Ramsey and his crew discover on their first night in the Sea of Thieves. I spent a lot of time wandering around there during the game's Technical Alpha phase trying to work out how pirates could set up camp.

In reading I got the impression that was before they split the island into two? (Crook's Hollow & Thieves' Haven)

@dumy2008 said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

Ahoy Chris! Was there anything (a character, a story, etc...) that you wanted in the book but were unable to fit in for any reason?

Hi DuMy2008! One aspect that ultimately hit the cutting room floor was Ramsey returning from the Sea of Thieves late in his life to gift Rowenna with the cursed pistol seen in the Sea of Thieves comics - the same pistol that stops weapons working in her tavern. It would have been a cool piece of continuity but really slowed the story to a crawl, so ultimately I decided to leave it up to the readers to make that connection. And then I spoiled it by talking about it on a forum. D'oh!

@taskbaarchitect said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

@captain-faicore said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

Did any of SoTs content creators give you inspiration for the storyline?

Hi Captain Falcore! Believe it or not, most of the story was locked down before the game was actually released, because book publishing can take a surprisingly long time, so there weren't any content creators around to take inspiration from - everyone was under NDA! That said, it's always fun to try and work homages to Sea of Thieves Insiders and Pioneers in as easter-eggs (Hi Clumsy George!) and it's been fantastic to see all of the lore videos, game shows, streams and everything else that have cropped up since the game launched. :)

I was fascinated to see current tactics "discovered" by players (re: a certain cursed chest, for example) turning up in the book.

@aithemed said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

Hi, plans on the near future for add other languages like Spanish?

Hey there. We'd love to know if there's demand for the novel to be published in other languages so let us know if you'd like it yours!

@Taskbaarchitect
    As a writer what is your take on some of the community-made nautical terms and jargon:
    Floof(ing) the sails instead of billowing them; Booms Booms instead of Gunpowder Barrels; the Farlooker instead of a Spyglass; a Shouthole instead of the Speaking Trumpet; and the Monkey Tower in place of the Crow's Nest? 😉

@katttruewalker said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

@taskbaarchitect

We have a lot of good and aspiring writers in the community, what would be your top 3 tips for creating a great piece of writing?

Blimey! That's a megalodon of a question.

I don't think any writer is ever truly satisfied with anything they write and feels there's always room for improvement, so one tip is to know when it's time to let go of a piece of writing and publish it, even if you're not completely happy. Instead, remember what you weren't satsified with and make a mental note to improve it next time.

Second tip would be to read as much as you possibly can, even if - especially if - it's a genre you're not particularly interested. If you like fiction, read some biographies. If you like sci-fi, grab a Western. It's just as valuable to have a good understanding of what you don't want to do.

Third tip: always proofread after a good night's sleep!

@captainlogun said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

Ahoy there @Taskbaarchitect Curious to know what the reasoning behind having two separate storylines. Was there a reason you didn't want to focus specifically on just the pirate lord? (in context I'm still reading through the book) Thanks!

Hi Captain Logan! The twin storylines ideas was something I pitched to Rare right from the start. On the one hand we wanted to take the opportunity to expand the lore and touch on ideas and explanations that go beyond the scope of the game.

On the other hand, you guys are the main characters of Sea of Thieves so we felt it was important to have Larinna's crew follow the kind of journey that players follow - starting in the tavern and seeking Athena's Fortune. The advantage of a full-length novel is that there was space to explore both ideas, and once I got the idea of things one crew did affecting the other crew in the future in my head, there was no stopping me! :)

@thor-von-blitz said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW:

@Taskbaarchitect
    As a writer what is your take on some of the community-made nautical terms and jargon:
    Floof(ing) the sails instead of billowing them; Booms Booms instead of Gunpowder Barrels; the Farlooker instead of a Spyglass; a Shouthole instead of the Speaking Trumpet; and the Monkey Tower in place of the Crow's Nest? 😉

I think it's great to see the community coming up with their own jokes and terms for objects, strategies and so on - I know that's exactly what the team were hoping would happen right back from the first days of the game. It's a shame that Ramsey never got to hear any of them, although I doubt he'd think very highly of anyone who asked him to floof his sails. :)

@taskbaarchitect

More personal question here, what do you enjoy most about playing Sea of Thieves?

@katttruewalker said in Live Q+A: Chris Allcock, author of Athena's Fortune - LIVE NOW - 10 mins remaining:

@taskbaarchitect

More personal question here, what do you enjoy most about playing Sea of Thieves?

I don't get chance to play Sea of Thieves as much as I probably should, which is why my pirate is still wearing some really low-level gear. That and it helps to be incognito. :P When I do play, my favourite moments are the way random discoveries can completely take us off from what we intended to do and into an adventure none of us imagined happening. That was definitely the case with the Devil's Roar the other evening when we got engaged in a stand-off with another brigantine having spotted one another at a distaince.

And then, the volcano erupted! Our ship got hit, and the other crew were quite alarmed to find us suddenly swimming to seize their vessel instead. Sadly they weighed anchor before we could sneak aboard... :(

And that's a wrap! Or a shroud, or whatever it is pirates are wearing this season! Thanks so much to @Muse986 and the team for allowing me to ramble on, and of course to everyone who has taken the time to ask questions today. I hope you all have a blast with the book, and who knows... we may run into one other in the future.

Possibly literally, once the fog arrives. Cheers!