Can an alliance member dig your chest up?

• Looking for confirmation about a discussion I was having the other day. So, I know that players outside your crew cannot "ping" an X on your map. I also know that once you hit a chest, anyone can come along and finish the dig, and take the chest.

However, the other day I had someone in my crew claim up and down that if you were allianced with someone, they could ping a chest on your map. Is there any truth to this? My strong suspicion is no, but I was wondering if any of you folks had actually tested this.

Views
  • @owl-hisson yes, it works...had the other day the message "xxxx found x-chest" like when a crew member digs one up, just it wasn't a name from my crew, so it must have been one from the alliance

• Unless it has been changed, no you cant. Though tbh i think the whole servers worth of voyages should be available to steal in this way. If i sneak aboard an enemy ship, somehow spy them looking at their map, then escape and somehow make it to the island first, and remember the spot, and i cant dig it up? I thought rare wanted us to create our own stories rather than be constrained by voyages within our own crew..

Edit: learn something new every day and i support that change so good on ya rare. Wonder if non allied crews can too.

• Someone in our alliance tapped a chest on Snake Island once......everyone on our crew got the pop-up message, even though we were nowhere near Snake Island.

The thing is, it couldn't have been intentional on their part - it was a pure accident.

I have dug up chests for people that weren't even in my alliance.....

I found someone struggling with an X map on Crook's Hollow once
    They showed me their map, and I went and dug it up....

This is why one should be careful looking at maps whilst they are on the Ferry......

Hope that answers your question...

• @poslio said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

Someone in our alliance tapped a chest on Snake Island once......everyone on our crew got the pop-up message, even though we were nowhere near Snake Island.

The thing is, it couldn't have been intentional on their part - it was a pure accident.

This is why one should be careful looking at maps whilst they are on the Ferry......

Well this must be an update because i usually get everything but the hardest chests on the biggest islands on the first dig, and this was definitely not a thing even like 3 months ago, or whenever alliances came out
    And i tried digging up the other crews treasure but it used to be that you could only make your own crews chests spawn otherwise the other crews had to start the dig for their map. Glad they changed this.

• @a-cranky-eskimo said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

@poslio said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

Someone in our alliance tapped a chest on Snake Island once......everyone on our crew got the pop-up message, even though we were nowhere near Snake Island.

Well this must be an update because i usually get everything but the hardest chests on the biggest islands on the first dig, and this was definitely not a thing even like 3 months ago, or whenever alliances came out
    And i tried digging up the other crews treasure but it used to be that you could only make your own crews chests spawn otherwise the other crews had to start the dig for their map. Glad they changed this.

Could be, Eskimo......

All of these instances occurred well after alliances were introduced.

• would be cool if we can see every chest the alliance crew digg up,would make the alliance thing more risky

• @owl-hisson yes if within an alliance every member of the alliance can dig up treasures regardless of who that map belongs.
    However other people from other crew do not have the maps you have. They need to see and memorize from what you show them or from what you tell them

• Actually, you can dig anyones chest up if you find them. If they have an active map or riddle for an island you are on, and that chest is in the same spot as their chest, they will dig up two chests. One is yours and one is theirs. The only difference between being in the alliance or not is that if in an alliance you will get the pop up that tells you that they dug it up.

On a couple of occasions I have been digging up the chest and keep hearing the initial thump that you get when you first find the chest with each dig. If you move the first chest and keep digging a second chest appears. That is because someone on the server has a map or riddle open to that exact same spot. It is very random and not something that happens all that often.

• @nofears-fun they should increase the amount of spots that chests can appear in, and make the system stop doubling them up, and never give riddles that would have the same outcome to multiple crews.

• @a-cranky-eskimo Keep in mind, the double chest thing is true of what they have open on the quest desk as well as any open bottle/scroll quests.

• @nofears-fun I thought the double chest thing was a glitch

• @nofears-fun sagte in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

Actually, you can dig anyones chest up if you find them. If they have an active map or riddle for an island you are on, and that chest is in the same spot as their chest, they will dig up two chests. One is yours and one is theirs. The only difference between being in the alliance or not is that if in an alliance you will get the pop up that tells you that they dug it up.

On a couple of occasions I have been digging up the chest and keep hearing the initial thump that you get when you first find the chest with each dig. If you move the first chest and keep digging a second chest appears. That is because someone on the server has a map or riddle open to that exact same spot. It is very random and not something that happens all that often.

No you can't...once I was on Lone Cove and another Sloop was there, he asked me if I know where this spot from the riddle is, so I showed him...I made the steps for the chest and tried to dig...nothing happened
    The guy started digging on the exact same spot, and there was the chest...
    So I can confirm that you can't dig out chests from other crews who are not in your alliance even if they are on the same island

• @schwammlgott thats what i thought too but tbh havnt played for more than a few minutes for the last couple months, when did you test that?

• The only thing I can tell you is that a while back, maybe a couple of months ago, I remember having a bottle quest with a single chest on it. We were heading to the island as we had more chests from another quest there as well. There was a ship already at the island and when we got there the bottle quest was gone. I asked the other crew if they found an extra chest and they had. One buried under another. I also know that I have more than one chest in the same spot despite only having one map or riddle quest on occasion. So I have always gone under the impression that I was stealing someones chest.

There was also a forum post not to long ago about someone in an alliance that was digging up a chest and continued to hear the thumping sound. So moved chest and kept digging only to dig up an alliance ships athena chest.

• @schwammlgott

Trust me, man - you CAN

I have both done it and had it done to me.

Although, I will say this: In each instance that I experienced, it was an X map, not a riddle.... so I can't confirm riddle chests.

• @poslio said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

@schwammlgott

Trust me, man - you CAN

Although, I will say this: In each instance that I experienced, it was an X map, not a riddle.... so I can't confirm riddle chests.

You definitely can - we stole an Athena chest a few days ago by accidentally digging someone else’s Chest of Legends whilst trying to find our own x4 chests on Glowstone Cay.

It was the single greatest moment my crew and I have ever had in this game so far!

• @a-cranky-eskimo about 1-2 months ago

• @poslio sagte in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

@schwammlgott

Trust me, man - you CAN

Maybe it works with x-marks...maybe I find another crew to test it out some day...

• Yes you can dig up a fellow alliance teams chests I've stolen 2 athena chests this way (long story) 😂 but yes 100% confirmed

• @personalc0ffee said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

@a-cranky-eskimo said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

Unless it has been changed, no you cant. Though tbh i think the whole servers worth of voyages should be available to steal in this way. If i sneak aboard an enemy ship, somehow spy them looking at their map, then escape and somehow make it to the island first, and remember the spot, and i cant dig it up? I thought rare wanted us to create our own stories rather than be constrained by voyages within our own crew..

Edit: learn something new every day and i support that change so good on ya rare. Wonder if non allied crews can too.

Alliance members can dig up your chests, then can even accidentally find them without having ever seen your map.

No, non ally crews can not find the chests as they are not loaded for their crew

While I think that idea is certainly interesting and I"m not entirely against stealing other's voyages, there is one thing to consider for such a mechanic; protection from griefing.

How do you protect people from griefing with a mechanic where you can steal voyages or make copies of their maps?

This is imo something rare shouldnt do as much as they have been, which is to have taken the question you just posed too seriously across the board for a pirate game about stealing loot from each other. Simply playing the game the way it is intended is “griefing” to some.

I see your point though as it should be a question that is asked, when adding content or making changes like this, but i think making it so that you have to take the time to look at enemy players map, with a short window on death that would allow you to check one map, or simply allowing it the same as it is for alliances except the chest acts as a reapers mark for a couple minutes, and athena chests cant be found this way (as that part of this while amazing for the finder is pretty lame to the voyager to lose an athena after possible hours without even encountering the other crew, simply because a spot effectively duplicates it for the other crew because they are in the same dig spot) are possible solutions. Rather than not add anything because they are afraid of it being abused by certain players they should add a reputation system that also affects server placement, or any other solution to this casual vs hardcore gamer dilemna, rather than hamstring the whole game for both parties as they seem to have been doing on some level. Joes last dev update brought back some of my hope and faith that this game can get better and better but they will need to make some hard decisions in whatever direction they go.

• @personalc0ffee said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

No, non ally crews can not find the chests as they are not loaded for their crew

Not entirely true. We weren’t in an alliance with the guy who’s Athena we tapped - but he was in the area though. We were all amazed, even him, it was even possible. By the time he docked, and we dug it up, he let us keep it #TopLad

• @thetwistedtaste said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

@personalc0ffee said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

Not entirely true. We weren’t in an alliance with the guy who’s Athena we tapped - but he was in the area though. We were all amazed, even him, it was even possible. By the time he docked, and we dug it up, he let us keep it #TopLad

That was nice of him but could play out very differently lol.

Either athenas should be locked to the crew and allied crews, or they need to make the number of possible dig spots on islands a lot bigger, and make it so that once a spot is taken the system takes account of this and dosnt spawn other players voyages with that as a dig location.

I still want being able to dig up unknown chests to be a thing, but as it is i could probably just go island to island digging at the like 20 spots each has and steal everyones chests, just because i (used to) play this game entirely to much. And hope to enjoy it that much again in the future.

• I once took a screenshot of a pirate reading his X marks the spot on the Ferry of the Damned. As me and my crew were also heading towards that island, I decided to give it try. Free Captain's Chest!

• @owl-hisson

Thanks to @Musicmee's detective skills we've tracked down confirmation in the Alliance Behind the Scenes video at around 2:16 minutes in!

• @poslio any chance it was an athena chest?

• @gutdthebrother1 said in Can an alliance member dig your chest up?:

@poslio any chance it was an athena chest?

Haha no....

THAT would be tragic to have happen - I'd feel bad even if it was MY crew that found someone else's Athena chest.

• Yes, I can confirm you can find other peoples chests who are in the same alliance. An event was being hosting in a discord server to break a record for how much treasure could be hoarded and a popular thing was to send pictures of maps to allies. You would most likely not get someone elses athenas.

• Jesus! This thread is 20 days old! Has been answered several times.
    Yes everyone within the alliance can dig up chest....*
    Why is the Necro necessary here?!

Views
11 out of 29