Playing Sea of Thieves on any device - Xbox Project xCloud

• At the moment, you can play Sea of Thieves exclusively on Xbox or a Windows 10 PC but things could soon change with Microsoft actively building their game streaming service. With an internet connection, Xbox Project xCloud will allow you to play your favorite Xbox games wherever you are, on any device and without downloading the game files!

At 2:41 someone is playing Sea of Thieves on a tablet with touch input and at 2:53 on a smartphone with an Xbox controller connected via Bluetooth.

https://blogs.microsoft.com/uploads/prod/2018/10/OMB-touch.jpg

It looks really promising and it sounds so awesome to be able to sail the seas on-the-go or when you don't have a computer with a powerful graphic card. I speak exclusively of Sea of Thieves but obviously a lot of Xbox titles would be supported because in the end, it will be like you are playing on an Xbox.

Public trials for the service should come in 2019, so I can't wait to have my hands on it! :D

Views
  • @skulliah Looks cool and I'd love to give it a try. What would concern me is latency, especially input lag. You'd literally be playing the game on a computer in a data center somewhere so unless you had a fairly decent connection, you're going to suffer. Maybe technology has caught up enough now for this to work. Will be interesting to see!

• My brother-in-law liked his old streaming device (basically a Switch - made by Nvidia I think??)
    He hated the lag, especially as the number of concurrent uses rose exponentially.

The idea is awesome though - I could play upstairs on the tablet, rather than having to disturb my wife if she was using the TV!

• @luciansanchez82 said in Playing Sea of Thieves on any device - Xbox Project xCloud:

@skulliah Looks cool and I'd love to give it a try. What would concern me is latency, especially input lag. You'd literally be playing the game on a computer in a data center somewhere so unless you had a fairly decent connection, you're going to suffer. Maybe technology has caught up enough now for this to work. Will be interesting to see!

Indeed, I'm really intrigued to see how it will work. But Microsoft already have datacenters almost everywhere in the big countries and they apparently succeeded to reduce latency to just 45 milliseconds on a smartphone which is not bad at all.

In any case, it's something really interesting when you want to play on-the-go!

• @skulliah I'd love to see it in action. The fear is that is it's less than perfect, people will soon lose interest. A bit like Sea Of Thieves...

.........that's a deep burn!

• @ant-heuser-kush said in Playing Sea of Thieves on any device - Xbox Project xCloud:

@skulliah said in Playing Sea of Thieves on any device - Xbox Project xCloud:

@luciansanchez82 said in Playing Sea of Thieves on any device - Xbox Project xCloud:

@skulliah Looks cool and I'd love to give it a try. What would concern me is latency, especially input lag. You'd literally be playing the game on a computer in a data center somewhere so unless you had a fairly decent connection, you're going to suffer. Maybe technology has caught up enough now for this to work. Will be interesting to see!

Indeed, I'm really intrigued to see how it will work. But Microsoft already have datacenters almost everywhere in the big countries and they apparently succeeded to reduce latency to just 45 milliseconds on a smartphone which is not bad at all.

In any case, it's something really interesting when you want to play on-the-go!

45 on a smart phone? That is great. That's actually a lot better than most TVs (if you forget to turn game mode on). It's going into beta next year, so I look forward to trying it out. MS is also planning a streaming based console code named, Scarlett. Maybe they've cracked the code?

And it was a low-end smartphone.
    Well, it makes complete sense that this game streaming service will be tied into the release of Scarlett!

@LucianSanchez82 Also Mixer (owned by Microsoft) is known for its low-latency video streaming and has already a working example of shared controller inputs.

• For anyone interested: this is now in active testing and anyone is welcome to come check it out. Read the terms and conditions, of course, but have it a go! You can also use streaming over your own local WiFi for really good results if you just want to play on a different screen. I do this, frequently, with my note 8.

Views
1 out of 7