Burning Cannonball [concept and pictures]

• Hi everybody ! I have a burning idea to share with you!
    First of all, I started from the observation that cursed cannonballs, although they are cool, do not propose any fun challenge for the one who must suffer and wait for the effect to fade.

Mainly, my idea is to create a new type of cannonball that will encourage the victim to take concrete action to get rid of it.
    And what is better than confronting the water and the flame?
    But do not expect many fires that spread everywhere in a game where we are already fighting, bailing, repairing, sailing, ... it is different here.

< The Burning Canon Ball : <

• Creates a fire blast at impact spreading fiery embers that inflict small area damage to players.
    • The braziers that are still lit after 10 seconds produce opaque smoke.
    • Burning cannonball have only a slight chance of creating a hole on impact.
    • A burning cannonballs exploding against a pierced hull project embers inside the boat.
    • When there are embers inside, the smoke gradually fills the boat (from top to bottom) and the players on board may suffocate.

In response, the opponent who is especially bothered by the smoke, must extinguish the flames with his usual bucket. And since it is necessary to be able to draw water on board, I imagined a barrel provided for this purpose.

But, to not do things by half, and so that this barrel of water is not useless the rest of the time, it is possible to make deliveries of drinkable water to NPCs and the reward would vary depending on the quantity delivered.

< The Water Barrel : <

• Edit : Will spawn in the boat at the beginning of the game.
    • Has limited capacity and can be transported (edit : ) like a crate of supplies, for exemple to a water tower to be filled with drinkable water.
    • Edit : You can get the barrel back in a tavern or sea post.
    • We can also fill our tankard to sober up.
    • It is still possible to fill the barrel with sea water, but if you drink it you will throw up.
    • Do not jump too much with the barrel in your hands or you risk losing a small amount of water.
    • It is not possible to fill the hold with water from the barrel and vice versa.

My idea is not just a suggestion for the future of Sea of Thieves, it's also an invitation to think about balancing and fun issues that a new type of cannonball can bring.

So my question is :
    How do you see these burning cannonballs? How can they bring something more to the game according to you?

Views
  • @jojo-apocalipto this is a really cool idea and your concept pictures are really good but I don't think the water bucket is a good idea unless its not another item in the item wheel but a barrel aboard your ship that you would use to fill up your bucket that is already in your item wheel

• @tinballoon24929 Thanks!

In fact, the barrel of water is a transportable element like the barrel of powder or a crate of supplies. It can be used to fill our usual bucket like we fill the tankard with grog.

...But the barrel is a secondary idea especially to respond to the situation where you have flames to extinguish but no water in the hold. To avoid having to jump into the water to fill our bucket, I thought it would be interesting to have a water barrel aboard the boat.

Sorry, I use Google translation to help me translate to English. Maybe I'm not clear.

• @jojo-apocalipto I think it would work better as a barrel on your ship because if you get hit by a fire cannon ball and you haven't found a water barrel, then you can't do anything about the fire

• @tinballoon24929 Oh yes you are right! I did not specify the starting situation :
    I do not know how the game is programmed, but would not it be possible to have the barrel of water in the boat at the beginning of the game but with always the ability to move it where you want?
    The risk of losing the barrel later is part of the game, but it would always be possible to get it back at the tavern or in a sea post.

This ability to transport the barrel out of the boat opens the mechanic to more interactions with the world, such as the ability to sell its water by bringing it directly to an NPC.

• @jojo-apocalipto ah, ok, thanks

• Very well thought out... impressed and it would be cool.

• @regius-eques , @SoulSeeker Thank you so mutch! :)

• Very nice :]

• @jojo-apocalipto
    Great idea.
    Just like the rowboat, the fresh water tank / barrel wouldn't necessarily be essential with spawning the new ship. It would be possible to use salt water on fires.
    I know that the fresh water barrel will offer another element to the game but when it comes to fighting fires, water is water.

Sometimes players jump off the bowsprit, scoop up a bucket of water then catch the ladder to board the vessel again. This is usually done just to throw water at crew mates but it would work for a fire too.

• @jojo-apocalipto Great idea and a very well put together post. I think it would fit well in the game. However, as always I suppose it would just be a case on how they would implement/code this. I have no idea whether or not it would be a difficult thing to do.

Also now with the volcanos in the DR, they would now be even more deadly as the falling rocks could cause the same burning effect.

• @jojo-apocalipto

This is a really well thought out idea, love that it's not fire per se but smoke and embers which cause the problems, also the fresh water barrel could have multiple uses including watering those plants on cargo runs?
    What about being able to refill it at the water towers that most of the Outposts seem to have?

• @Axewgamer73 , @ManuElManouche , @Admiral-RRRSole , @Octopus-Lime , @KattTruewalker

Thank you all for your feedback! It's really nice of you.

Of course the idea is probably more complex than it seems and I especially hope that it will inspire Rare just as it can also inspire the players.

For example here, originally I just wanted to suggest a new type of cannonball, and while trying to stay reasonable, I finally came up with something maybe more balanced and, I hope, more fun and interactive than I had planned.

@katttruewalker a dit dans Burning Cannonball [concept and pictures] :

@jojo-apocalipto

This is a really well thought out idea, love that it's not fire per se but smoke and embers which cause the problems,...

Yes that's exactly what I wanted to do! I did not want to give too much importance to the fire because the goal was not to bring hell on board.

...also the fresh water barrel could have multiple uses including watering those plants on cargo runs?

Ah yes! I did not make the connection. It's really cool all this synergy that we could create in Sea of Thieves. A small item may finally be able to change the game significantly.

What about being able to refill it at the water towers that most of the Outposts seem to have?

Yes, as like everything was planned from the beginning...! ;)

This is the reason why I told myself that we could make a difference between salt water from the sea and drinkable water from the water towers.

...By the way, would not plants prefer fresh water over salt water?

• @jojo5613 you look like a genius now

• @Quartermasters necro

• Ahoy maties!

As this thread was 12 months old and revived today, it will now be locked.

A general reminder to all, please avoid reviving threads aged past 30 days, as it is considered a necro, and is against our Forum Rules.

Bumping Threads
    Bumping threads with content that is not providing additional information to the original post is not permitted. Resurrecting very old threads is also not permitted. A warning will be issued and the thread locked. Ignoring the warning will result in a temporary ban from the Forums and a final warning. If the action continues, a permanent ban from the Forums will be issued.

Views
1 out of 16