Sloops VS. Brigs, Galleons

• Okay I want everyone to keep an open mind for this question. Is it possible for a solo player on a sloop to sink a bigger ship when in ship battle. I have been seeing a lot of players post that it's all about experience and tactics, so if that's true then a sloop can possibly sink a galleon. Also, do we underestimate solo players as a community? Share your experiences and thoughts!

Views
  • Yea i love sinking gallys on my one man slooop, im a Pirate, aaarrrrr.

• It’s also worth noting that cursed cannonballs have evened the playing field now. All a sloop needs is the right cursed cannonballs and they could sink a galleon with a bit of skill.

• I've sank galleons and brigantines on my solo sloop. Usually when that happens, it's due to an inexperienced crew (because frankly I'm not that good). But it's certainly possible. Historically, pirates favored sloops for their speed, maneuverability and shallow draft. Sloops are much smaller in Sea of Thieves, of course, so people tend to think of them as the lesser ships. Don't believe it! Sloops in SoT share many of the same advantages and disadvantages as their real-life counterparts. Any ship in the hands of a capable crew can rule the seas.

• All ya need is skill...
    Skill and a bunch of cursed cannonballs...
    Well, actualy maybe more cannonballs than skill... !

• Sloop is by far my favourite ship. I've been surprised how easily I've managed to sink a couple brigantine ships with another crew member.

Can't say I've tried going solo against another ship, but if you catch them off guard, sinking them is definitely possible.

A few times I admit to having fun teasing galleons by constantly outmaneuvering them and letting them catch up again before repeating.

• @t-degennaro3106 Well a very inexperienced Brig turned on me over the weekend. In my haste I misjudged the shallows of an island I was cutting close to, took a few holes which allowed them to catch up and get the drop on me. I got peppered with cannon but kept bailing and repairing. Managed to get everything fixed, yet still hadn't been boarded. When I went up top I saw they had also collided with the island and were trying to right themselves. They gave chase again, but as they were catching up they suddenly sank. Either they left a hole unrepaired, or their mum called them for dinner.

Either way I chalked it up as a solo sloop win - not even a single shot fired ;)

Back to your point though, it can be done, I just don't think I'm quite quick enough to pull it off myself without a large helping of good luck to go with it!

• Interesting thread.
    I think it's about playerskill, but also numbers.
    A experienced and skillfull player of course can sink a 4 Man Galleon.
    But if the 4 man are skillfull too i say no chance at all.
    Every Hand on Deck Counts.
    It highly depends on the skill of players and the numbers.
    So skill can outnumber a crew.
    The Ships for themself have their pro's and con's, it's part of the playerskill to know and use them for advantages.
    Try to sink a Sloop driving circles in shallow water between rocks with a Galleon. But boarding and CC are important factors too.
    The Balance of the game is heavily depending on the average playerskill of the community.
    To me the game is perfect for average players, both in skill and time to play.
    It's a game for ambitious casuals imho.
    Hardcore players smoke content up like nothing and ask for more content, because they worked and grinded, maybe some also exploited it and cry nothing to do anymore. Same for "skillfull players" If it comes about pvp only. But i dont see that this game is a hardcore pvp game.
    The majority is average, doesnt play 10 hours a day or every day at all and is neither pve only or pvp only, but know the games idea and philosophy. And hopefully like it. I do.
    So the skills of players to me in total are also average. Sometimes you meet a crew or SP with high skills and sometimes they do just bad, not knowing what they do or just overwhelmed with steering, fixen holes , shooting, prevent boarding etc...
    Therefore is asked if we have some sort of Matchmaking or if we could maybe profit from having a Matchmaking
    that includes some player stats like k/d ratio, total shots and total hits...etc...

• You can do it but not against any semi compitant crew unless you get very lucky.

Like everyone gets knocked off the deck of the ship by a Meglodon (facepalm)

• @biter-wylie I feel you're speaking from experience!

• If you have no chance against a bigger ship, turn your ship dead against the wind and adjust your heading and sails as the wind changes. Sloops CAN get away from Galleons with the wind in your face. Brigantines are harder to loose, but that's where creative thinking is employed.
    -- Take your sloop by an island/outpost
    -- Put your ship into a straight course with plenty of mapped sea ahead
    -- Jump off, take cover, and wait for your pursuers to come by

You should be able to plan this out from here. Remember, if you get aboard, drop their ship anchor first. That way even if you can't beat them or if you can't sink 'em with any kegs they may or may not have, you've bought yourself considerable time.

• One of my buddies wreaks galleons solo, if it stays a naval battle. If the galleon start boarding then he suffers.

• element of surprise! If you can find a parked Galleon just sneak up behind it, raise your sails to slow down and let loose. by the time they figure it out, get back to the ship, turn it around... it's probably too late.

I have also taken down a couple galleons at sea by myself. But I'd say I got lucky with fairly inexperienced opponents. If they would have boarded me then I'd loose for sure. usually I try to zig zag behind them hitting their back end, and never committing to a direction so they can't turn on me. But this only works going into the wind (where the sloop is faster). if the wind is with us then the galleon is just too fast.

Sure wish there was an option to raise the ladders. :( Wouldn't THAT be a game changer!

• @t-degennaro3106 I once sunk a Brig while playing solo but it was done not through combat but tricking them and they were only a 2 man brig. But I only had to do 1 sword fight

• @r4bbi-the-shark said in Sloops VS. Brigs, Galleons:

It’s also worth noting that cursed cannonballs have evened the playing field now.

Yep. The food chain has been disrupted. This is why the game is broken.

• Is it possible sure, but likely no. The possibility comes from those who have mentioned skill or rather experience and some luck. I sunk two brigs last night, but they also sunk me and I had a lot more to loose(Athens quest)and they didn’t seem too experienced. I don’t agree with others saying though the Sloop is as good or matched to the Brig and Galleon. Not even close lol sloop-1 or 2 people, one cannon on each side and one sail, Quick to maneuver. Brig-3 people, 2 cannons on each side and two sails. Galleon-4 people, 4 cannons on each side and three sails. I think it’s a no brainer at the end of the day, even more so now because with the game having been out as long as it has you have a lot of experienced players. Also cursed cannonballs doesn’t really level the playing field as they’re available to all lol.

• I took out a 4 man galleon alone twice. one of them i actually sunk them. It was incredibly satisfying. All I could say to them was "maybe you shouldnt have fire first when i was trying to be friendly!" My strat was sailing past them, unloading 8 or 9 cannons, and firing myself off before passing to stop them from repairing. One of them was a pirate legend which is what made it satisfying. Just one of those days. (luckily i have proof recorded on xbox live)

• @cpt-plainview a dit dans Sloops VS. Brigs, Galleons :

If you have no chance against a bigger ship, turn your ship dead against the wind and adjust your heading and sails as the wind changes. Sloops CAN get away from Galleons with the wind in your face. Brigantines are harder to loose, but that's where creative thinking is employed.
    -- Take your sloop by an island/outpost
    -- Put your ship into a straight course with plenty of mapped sea ahead
    -- Jump off, take cover, and wait for your pursuers to come by

You should be able to plan this out from here. Remember, if you get aboard, drop their ship anchor first. That way even if you can't beat them or if you can't sink 'em with any kegs they may or may not have, you've bought yourself considerable time.

A solo player in Sloop cannot do anything if a brig decide to continue to follow you (and ennemies players have same level as you in PvP), you can success 20 evasives turns (and perfect all your cannonballs) but all other direction to against the wind, brig goes faster and the "against the wind" has an end… You can turn 1 hour 30min around an island but… Brig will always follows you.

Now, after 10 evasives turns and 45 mins, I give up in red sea when a brig still follow me, I play for fun not to waste my time in 3vs1... And, I don't have the tool to do something, in solo pvp against a brig, we cannot afford a death

And for me "against the wind" seem doesn't work (I keep the seal on the middle like... The brig seem to keep this speed of other direction or to go at the same speed.

I don't understand why sloop can got a little advantage to escape to the brig. I mean after 1 hour of evasive shipping... We can't escape, we can escape only if the brig give up (decide to stop to follow us) or is not good to shipping.

The solution "jump off and wait" doesn't work with good player, nobody will be on your ship, and your ship will turn and will not anymore against the wind…

I would like to know a way to escape a determined brig (with a good players in) but seems there is not a solution

Views
12 out of 18