Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing

• @camelfromlunch3 saying or implying ANYTHING about the pioneer sessions at any point (before, during or after testing and the tested component gets into the game) i against the NDA you signed by opting into the pioneer programme, that is what @Lady-Aijou is talking about

You will NEVER be repremanded by mods or the like for voicing an oppinion, what you can be repremanded for is the way you voice said oppinions, if that way doesn’t adhere to the forum rules/pirate code.

If you feel that at any point someone is breaking the forum rules by using derogatory language or something else than a simple “@Deckhands” mention is usually enough but if you want to make sure it gets reviewed just use the report post feature on these forums and give a understandable and polite reason for doing so.

I can tell you from experience it works a treat.

However if you are so put off by the forums and the community by all means of course you are in your right to not use the forums, however may i then kindly request you to think about your own status as pioneer and maybe opt out of it. Because one of the things that is most important for us pioneers to do in the respective forum section.

@Lady-Aijou i hope i kept myself within the bounds set to me as pioneers, if i said something out of term please feel free to edit my post accordingly

• @camelfromlunch3 said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@aod-fluid said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@camelfromlunch3 said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@treefittymonsta said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@gulpee-rex said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@dr-peter-tezla said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

As I predicted.

Same here. On July 17th I said the Forsaken Shores will release around September 25th because the other two updates were released on the last Tuesday of that month.

In early September, when Rare announced Forsaken Shores for the 19th of September I was like... Not going to happen ;)

alt text

I don't know what's wrong there but they release updates with many bugs and they delayed (or cancelled) updates in the last weeks.

You are a god to me. Please use your nostradamus like predictions to tell me....

Will there be a patch this week to fix the current bugs with the game and barrel 2.0 system? Or will these bugs persist until forsaken shores arrives? Or with the bugs persist past forsaken shores?

It’s pretty obvious rare just can’t deliver their promises. They released a game before it was an actual game and each update since the release has been a c**p shoot with bugs that last a month at least they fix it by added two additional bugs it’s no surprised they couldn’t follow through.

I think you are over-simplifying things at this point...and connecting dots that should not be connected. ;)

Idk what you’re suggesting but it’s a typical disappointing game like no mans sky when it was first released in pc and PlayStation. They promised what they couldn’t deliver just like rare has done.

You are literally commenting on developing without being a developer. You are talking about a game that is SUPPOSED to, by design and by proclamation, change and grow as you play it. Your complaint is that it either does not change fast enough, or that when it changes it breaks.

@camelfromlunch3 said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@aod-fluid said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@capt-fambeard said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@lady-aijou said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@CamelFromLunch3 and @iamXnl Please refrain from making any mention of any testing or other Pioneers activity outside of the Pioneers forum. This includes hints, stories, anecdotes, or any other information related to tests you participated in. It is a violation of your NDA, and can result in being removed from the program.

Still haven’t been told how i done so, but i just won’t participate in the forum or the feedback since it’s not being listened to anyhow. And the forums aren’t being properly monitored either. I stated my opinion and was called stupid, a child, and talked down to and nothing was said about it. And yet that is against pirate code but I’m being told i violated something but have yet to be shown what the violation was. So i won’t be on the forum and i darn sure won’t be recommending this game to anyone or defending it when it has been made very clear that players, mods, and the devs don’t care and only care about grieving and disrespectful behavior cause that’s all I’ve experienced since alpha testing. Such a shame. I’m sure some other devoleper will succeed where rare has failed. Makes sense as to why the company hasn’t had a hit game since the 90s.

Looks like we’re down a pioneer and need a replacement. raises hook

Shame that only alpha testers can be pioneers. I’m sure it’s slowly dwindling with the state the game is in and lack of care rare has shown.

That is not how this works. They chose brand new pioneers not long ago...

[Mod edited]

I know 3 or 4 people that were emailed just a few months ago (well after launch) that were offered and accepted into the pioneer program. Sorry, but it is not just people who tested the alpha builds. Some of those people did not even get back into the new pioneer program.

@capt-fambeard said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@lady-aijou said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@CamelFromLunch3 and @iamXnl Please refrain from making any mention of any testing or other Pioneers activity outside of the Pioneers forum. This includes hints, stories, anecdotes, or any other information related to tests you participated in. It is a violation of your NDA, and can result in being removed from the program.

Still haven’t been told how i done so, but i just won’t participate in the forum or the feedback since it’s not being listened to anyhow. And the forums aren’t being properly monitored either. I stated my opinion and was called stupid, a child, and talked down to and nothing was said about it. And yet that is against pirate code but I’m being told i violated something but have yet to be shown what the violation was. So i won’t be on the forum and i darn sure won’t be recommending this game to anyone or defending it when it has been made very clear that players, mods, and the devs don’t care and only care about grieving and disrespectful behavior cause that’s all I’ve experienced since alpha testing. Such a shame. I’m sure some other devoleper will succeed where rare has failed. Makes sense as to why the company hasn’t had a hit game since the 90s.

Shame that only alpha testers can be pioneers. I’m sure it’s slowly dwindling with the state the game is in and lack of care rare has shown.

[Mod edited]

Again, the game definitely has more problems than people would like to see. You don't have an understanding of any of it though, as you are responding as a "gamer"...and not as a "developer". None of us knows the condition of the game, or what is causing the issues that they have. Again, as I said before you decided to reply over and over again... You are over-simplifying things.

As far connecting dots that don't need to be connected -- you can't say this delay is "because Rare cannot deliver what they promised". I am positive there are problems that need to be addressed before this gets released, and it has nothing to do with the "speed at which they can release" content. It very likely is more-related to limitations that they have inadvertently built into the game, poor resource management, or some other issue that is technically well beyond where you can throw an educated guess at.

In fact, it is very likely that complaints about content are what led to the issues they are having. Trying to rush into a new development roadmap, and rush the changes out at the same time among several different teams working on the same codebase has just landed them in murky water.

They need a team that does nothing but codepass after codepass looking for ways to optimize, resolve conflicts in code, and "clean up" what is there... otherwise they are burying those problems in heaps of new lines of code and they will eventually become impossible to find and fix later on.

• No disappointment here!
    I believe this is the right decision.
    With this extra time you allow yourself to deliver a better update , no-one will blame you for doing a good job 😊

• @aod-fluid said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@treefittymonsta said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@gulpee-rex said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@dr-peter-tezla said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

As I predicted.

Same here. On July 17th I said the Forsaken Shores will release around September 25th because the other two updates were released on the last Tuesday of that month.

In early September, when Rare announced Forsaken Shores for the 19th of September I was like... Not going to happen ;)

alt text

I don't know what's wrong there but they release updates with many bugs and they delayed (or cancelled) updates in the last weeks.

You are a god to me. Please use your nostradamus like predictions to tell me....

Will there be a patch this week to fix the current bugs with the game and barrel 2.0 system? Or will these bugs persist until forsaken shores arrives? Or with the bugs persist past forsaken shores?

It’s pretty obvious rare just can’t deliver their promises. They released a game before it was an actual game and each update since the release has been a c**p shoot with bugs that last a month at least they fix it by added two additional bugs it’s no surprised they couldn’t follow through.

I think you are over-simplifying things at this point...and connecting dots that should not be connected. ;)

Idk what you’re suggesting but it’s a typical disappointing game like no mans sky when it was first released in pc and PlayStation. They promised what they couldn’t deliver just like rare has done.

You are literally commenting on developing without being a developer. You are talking about a game that is SUPPOSED to, by design and by proclamation, change and grow as you play it. Your complaint is that it either does not change fast enough, or that when it changes it breaks.

Says the non pioneer.

I know 3 or 4 people that were emailed just a few months ago (well after launch) that were offered and accepted into the pioneer program. Sorry, but it is not just people who tested the alpha builds. Some of those people did not even get back into the new pioneer program.

Except maybe it is how it works since I’m sure a majority of them have quit this failure.

Again, the game definitely has more problems than people would like to see. You don't have an understanding of any of it though, as you are responding as a "gamer"...and not as a "developer". None of us knows the condition of the game, or what is causing the issues that they have. Again, as I said before you decided to reply over and over again... You are over-simplifying things.

As far connecting dots that don't need to be connected -- you can't say this delay is "because Rare cannot deliver what they promised". I am positive there are problems that need to be addressed before this gets released, and it has nothing to do with the "speed at which they can release" content. It very likely is more-related to limitations that they have inadvertently built into the game, poor resource management, or some other issue that is technically well beyond where you can throw an educated guess at.

In fact, it is very likely that complaints about content are what led to the issues they are having. Trying to rush into a new development roadmap, and rush the changes out at the same time among several different teams working on the same codebase has just landed them in murky water.

They need a team that does nothing but codepass after codepass looking for ways to optimize, resolve conflicts in code, and "clean up" what is there... otherwise they are burying those problems in heaps of new lines of code and they will eventually become impossible to find and fix later on.

You basically just repeated me in a more complicated and unnecessary manner. Bottom line is they suck at planning and they’re not doing a good job like OTHER DEVELOPERS have been able to do because fact of them matter is they have next to no experience.

• @camelfromlunch3 Alrighty then, you go girl.

• @callmebackdraft said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@camelfromlunch3 saying or implying ANYTHING about the pioneer sessions at any point (before, during or after testing and the tested component gets into the game) i against the NDA you signed by opting into the pioneer programme, that is what @Lady-Aijou is talking about

You will NEVER be repremanded by mods or the like for voicing an oppinion, what you can be repremanded for is the way you voice said oppinions, if that way doesn’t adhere to the forum rules/pirate code.

If you feel that at any point someone is breaking the forum rules by using derogatory language or something else than a simple “@Deckhands” mention is usually enough but if you want to make sure it gets reviewed just use the report post feature on these forums and give a understandable and polite reason for doing so.

I can tell you from experience it works a treat.

However if you are so put off by the forums and the community by all means of course you are in your right to not use the forums, however may i then kindly request you to think about your own status as pioneer and maybe opt out of it. Because one of the things that is most important for us pioneers to do in the respective forum section.

@Lady-Aijou i hope i kept myself within the bounds set to me as pioneers, if i said something out of term please feel free to edit my post accordingly

I have used the report feature on MANY occasions and nothing happened. Was unaware of the deckhands thing so thank you for that, but I’ve had my fill of this nonsense. And why bother opting out? It’s basically a free game in its own. Yeah they want you to give feedback on forums but why bother when it falls on deaf ears.

• @aod-fluid said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@camelfromlunch3 Alrighty then, you go girl.

Thanks boo.

• @the3sheetsneate thank you for the update and making the hard decision to delay Forsaken Shores. It is awesome that your priority is to ensure you all truly deliver a stable, polished and bug-free experience that all players can enjoy.

That should mean fixing all the current bugs, the new inventory system issues, and other gameplay concerns that have been ignored for too long. You must also do that to truly "deliver a stable, polished and bug-free experience that all our players can enjoy". Not just address new issues in the upcoming update.

If that truly happens, it will be well worth the wait, even if it was a much longer wait. Otherwise everyone will still be sailing into the same murky waters we have been lately and for way too long.

• Thank you, Joe

• @the3sheetsneate
    Thank you for the news update but please stop announcing deadlines. It only incites outrage when they're not met and makes you guys look less than professional, especially when you rush to meet them and the product is bug filled.

Thank you also for giving the pioneers the required time to test and report bugs and for you guys to actually act upon those reports.... this time.

While the programmer(s) work things out I hope the rest of the company is moving forward toward the next set of updates and not just sitting on their hands as the slow trickle of content would indicate.
    Life beyond Athena's would be a good place to start. We're six months in with nothing new to do except short term events.

• @camelfromlunch3 as a pioneer myself i cant comment on stuff specifically in this occasion, however the updates by joe neate specifically tell pioneers and regular players alike that the pioneers ar being listened to.

Also joe neat himself and mike chaoman talked about the cursed crews update and that Rare made mistakes there.

Also you saying in the open forum that feedback is or is not being listened to is talking about pioneer information that is under NDA even though joe or mike may talk about it it is not our position as pioneers to do so in this setting, this is stuff that is breach of NDA and are the things @Lady-Aijou might be telling you about, this is not to police you it is merely to inform you

• @church6633 Yes! Yes! and Yes!!

• @cokney-charmer said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@fishst1ck when the game is in such a complete mess that they are having to delay expansion level content because its bug ridden....you would think the company's focus should be on getting it ready for the 27th and from a PR view, having the team going on a jolly to a game event in order to market the game whilst its so unplayable for a majority of the community is kinda an insult to the community.

I wouldn't really say a 10 day delay on an update that's been in development for months equals a complete mess. It would have been a complete mess to release it knowing that the quality isn't good enough.

As for EGX, I think not showing because your content update is delayed would be a much bigger slap in the face of the community, especially those that specifically go there to meet people from Rare. Although a delay is unfortunate, it doesn't mean they should stop all pr/marketing or community events. We're not talking about moved to some unspecified date in 2019, but a delay of a bit more than a week.

As I said before, the people attending these events aren't the people fixing the bugs and getting the software ready. The company's focus is on delivering a bug free experience and they weren't sure they could deliver that, hence the delay. I don't know about you, but I know exactly how to do my job and having a supervisor telling me how much pressure is on it or watching my every move won't make me work any harder or better, probably quite the opposite.

I'm wondering where your comment about the game being unplayable for the majority comes from. The delay is for unreleased content, the live game is completely playable. The bugs in the current build aren't game breaking as far as I know. These forums only represent a speck of the total community, so unless you have access to Rare data I highly doubt the game is unplayable for 'the majority'.

I'll be interested to see what they talk about during their panel though. I actually think the talks during the dev updates have become more sincere and honest about introducing issues. The communication about the delay and before this also shows that they know there are issues with quality and it's unacceptable to release another thing riddled with bugs.

Since this was the last promised content update attached to a specific month, I hope Rare will first invest on getting their quality and predictability up before pinning themselves deadlines for upcoming content. That said I would still love to know what they'll be working on for future updates though.

• Thanks! It is disappointing to wait but it just means it will be that much better!

• Most important thing is releasing without bugs so , take your time and it was a good decision! Waiting for it :)

• @psycho-slash said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

Most important thing is releasing without bugs so , take your time and it was a good decision! Waiting for it :)

How about they fix the bugs in the current build, if they can't resolve the current bugs in the current build. How are going to come out with bug free new content? Focus on the current bugs then focus on new content. Sheesh. I bet when foresaken shores comes out. They don't resolve the current bugs in the game and the new content adds even more bugs.

• @personalc0ffee said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@treefittymonsta Going to tell you right now in software development, there is no such thing as "bug free"

Well they have their priorities all screwed up. They introduced so many bugs with the last build that it's in a sad state. And now they are skipping maintenance days to create new content.... Fix the bugs.. first... How come they can't have one team on squashing bugs and the other creating content? Sigh... I don't want a bug free game... But seriously fix like ten of the major issues at least prior to this weekend.

• @treefittymonsta

• @triheadedmonkey said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@treefittymonsta

Stop trolling. That's all I ever see u do on these forums. How's linking the career page contributing to the connversation. Go away lol.

• @personalc0ffee said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@treefittymonsta Seems you need a career in software development to understand.

Pfft if I released construction documents riddled with errors in my industry but told my client 'dont worry we're still creating new sheets for the set' without fixing the issues with the current set of documents. I would lose the client.

Same applies too software design. Fix ur current errors before creating new content.

• @skulliah 100% agree with you! Couldn’t have put it better myself.

• @jacketedlawyer6 said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@murkrage No, I’m pretty sure I remember someone saying that because of the size of the update, all 4 teams will be working on FS. For other updates, though, that method is correct.

If you can back it up with a source then I’d be happy to admit I’m wrong :)

• @fishst1ck We will soon see what is said in this panel wont we, we will see if or how they address the current state of the game. Not a single person on my friends list is playing or has played SoT since initial Barrel system change and major game breaking problems was introduced to the game back when Cursed Sails ended. That is over 15 pirate Legends who have all put the game down. Each week since where fixes are promised but fail to appear or new issues are found such as bringing the servers down just 90 minutes after a scheduled maintenance was supposed to correct a list of issues. So yes, this game has a massive issue in real time outside what can be seen on Social Media or these forums. Denying the issue is there and that it is a big problem putting this game in jeopardy is a mistake.

Let's see this Saturday what they say in this panel and whether its just about performing to the room or actually owning the current state of this game. As you can see the Pioneers under my name, so trust that I have seen what has been stated about the reasons behind the delay, so I am more than concerned about the future of this game because as we are in silly season, I and my friends have already moved to other games to invest our time in and so far there are not enough reasons to come back to SoT where Forsaken Shores might have been but the last month of development hell and issues troubling the game and now this delay as new issues and old ones still plague the game is very much a huge problem.

• @murkrage said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@jacketedlawyer6 said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@murkrage No, I’m pretty sure I remember someone saying that because of the size of the update, all 4 teams will be working on FS. For other updates, though, that method is correct.

Watch last Week's Developer Update video on YouTube where Joe himself states that all teams are now focusing on Forsaken Shores.

• is good, is good! i prefer a better release and wait a little bit

• Far better to wait a little longer for a more stable release then trying to play exciting new content with serious bugs/crashing issues that frustrates the players. I think Rare made the right call here, even though I want to cry because of more waiting for row boats.

And to the Rare team, do you guys plan to address the key bindings issue for PC? Certain default keys cannot be changed and/or do not reflect custom bindings. For example, the inventory wheel has "F" for switching between item wheels and cannot be changed. Same goes for the menu system for barrels and other interactions; keys like "E", "Q", "X", etc are currently not changeable to custom bindings.

I'm personally making do with it as is, but really hoping that issue gets addressed at some point.

• If the time is needed to polish the edges, take it. I can wait till the 27th.
    Are plans in the works to address the current issues at hand? Aka Sloop cannonball barrel while sailing?
    Im floating around like a rubber ducky just to grab a few before going full sail.

• @cokney-charmer said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@murkrage said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

@jacketedlawyer6 said in Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing:

Watch last Week's Developer Update video on YouTube where Joe himself states that all teams are now focusing on Forsaken Shores.

Yes, now read my post again where I say that this close to the release of the update all teams are most likely chiming in where needed because that's how it usually goes in development.

Those teams, however, are working on their own update. They have been since their previous update was released and once Forsaken Shores releases they will jump straight back in.

• @murkrage yes to all that blah de blah, but you asked for a link to the source of where RARE said all teams were now working on Forsaken Shores...I told you where it was....go have a nice day now ya hear :)

@murkrage yes to all that blah de blah, but you asked for a link to the source of where RARE said all teams were now working on Forsaken Shores...I told you where it was....go have a nice day now ya hear :)

Yes matey, but this entire discussion goes back to the following post:

@treefittymonsta They announced a few months ago that ALL of their teams are working on FS.

That's where I wanted the source from :)

• The right call, but never an easy one. Good luck this week ironing out those bugs.

• @the3sheetsneate a dit dans Forsaken shores - an update after the weekend's Pioneer testing :

Hi everyone,

Following on from my post on Friday, I wanted to share an update with progress towards our Forsaken Shores release.

Our priority is to ensure we deliver a stable, polished and bug-free experience that all our players can enjoy. We have just had a weekend of Pioneer testing, which has highlighted a memory issue in the build, which is resulting in an unstable build where a large number of our Pioneers were experiencing crashes. From our investigations this is a complex issue that we are working through solving, but as such we do not feel in a position to release Forsaken Shores to our players with confidence this week.

Our goal this week is to resolve the memory issue and get enough Pioneer coverage so that we are confident we have resolved the issue, prior to releasing to all of our players. As such, we are moving the release of Forsaken Shores to Thursday 27th September. This will give us time to implement fixes, test, and get builds out to Pioneers to gain confidence.

We appreciate your understanding with this change in our release plans. I know this will be disappointing, but I resolutely believe this is the right decision. We are committed to giving everyone the best Forsaken Shores release experience, and this will enable that.

Thanks to all of our Pioneers for their support in providing valuable feedback and bug reports on Forsaken Shores so far. Alongside helping us gain confidence in the release from a stability perspective, we have been able to make significant tweaks to the gameplay experience as a result of the feedback we’ve received, and it is better for it.

Thanks,

Joe Neate
    Executive Producer

thank you for the work done, your sincerity and for the enormous listening you have with your community.
    SOT will only come out bigger!

Views
136 out of 217