This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy

• @popcanzombie135 said in This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy:

@aod-fluid

A save system on a Voyage would be so useful! Lots of people would be happy for that if Rare added this.

lol... that is the problem. it's not needed. what is needed, though, will never happen... players need patience and realize that they should be rewarded for 'effort' and not 'showing up'.

• @aod-fluid said in This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy:

.. players need patience and realize that they should be rewarded for 'heavy effort' and not 'moderate effort'.

Fixed that for ya!

https://giphy.com/gifs/GCvktC0KFy9l6

• @v**a-hombre said in This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy:

@aod-fluid said in This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy:

.. players need patience and realize that they should be rewarded for 'heavy effort' and not 'moderate effort'.

Fixed that for ya!

https://giphy.com/gifs/GCvktC0KFy9l6

hahaha...in all fairness... i thought i put in heavy effort. i have found players (several of them) that have done much more than me in terms of "effort" put into this game... i dont know if i would call what some of the players that are super-vocal contribute "moderate effort"

• @aod-fluid

I think the majority will not do Athena quests. They are for a select group that actually enjoys grinding and find meaning in it. Imo.

I will probably switch to 100% PvP and also the more fun Bilge Rat adventures such as the HD and CS. I know 100% I would not bother with things like thrones or find statues. Or maybe the game will fizzle out for me. Not sure. Have to wait and see.

But it was £60 well spent

@zodemere said in This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy:

@v**a-hombre said in This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy:

@admiral-rrrsole

Is it THAT much easier?

Yes, it is that much easier. Depending on the "event" that is going on. I spent about 13 hours to take one level from 49 to 50... soon after, tons of people were doing the same level in an hour and a half because of commendations... so yes, it is that much easier.

I wonder if rare has. considered adding GAMBLING LOOT BOXES that you can throw real $ at your tv screen & buy your way to PL / Athena 10 / clotying / titles / figureheads / commedations? How much will $1000.00 buy this crusty pirate?

So far they have not shortened the Athena loop. Which is funny, because if they think people complained about how hard it was to get to PL, wait until they are going from Athena 1 to Athena 10. Of course, most of them probably spent 90% of their time running Athena's voyages...and while being in the mid-30's-to-low 40's for all 3 orders, are Athena's 4 or 5. They were just too brain-dead to figure out why it was taking so long to get to 50/50/50. Even still, those people will NEVER get through Athena's 10 before they quit this game. An even larger number of posts here don't seem to have the time to do half of an Athena's mission... so I am waiting for some god-awful save mechanic so they can work on them bit by bit.

Yes they have madee the athena grind easier with the aaliance system.. You canlitterally go afk in an alliance & rank up to level 10 with little to no effrt. And i'm sure as time goes on they'll make it even easier!!

• @aod-fluid

Don't mind me too much. Just being the annoying little devil on your shoulder. =P

There's just been a lot of talk about "participation trophies", "zero effort", etc. While I understand most of it is using hyperbole to make a point, I feel like, every now and then, I need to just remind everyone that it still IS hyperbole.

Commendations and Legend status still requires effort. Quite a bit, in fact. Not as much as before, certainly; but let's not get too silly over it.

@popcanzombie135 said in This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy:

@aod-fluid

A save system on a Voyage would be so useful! Lots of people would be happy for that if Rare added this.

lol... that is the problem. it's not needed. what is needed, though, will never happen... players need patience and realize that they should be rewarded for 'effort' and not 'showing up'.

Every thread on this forum has at least one response that amounts to "if you don't like it, you just aren't bootstrapping hard enough," as if that's the answer to any problem someone has with the game. Stop doing that for a minute.

It's not an "effort" thing, it's a "time" thing. I grinded to PL while my playtime was often only 45 mins to an hour. I might sit down and play multiple time a day, but it was short stretches, not one marathon.

Now if I want to rank up at all, I have to be willing to sit in one spot for 2.5 hours. That's how long it takes to run an athenas without doing any speedrunning or "cheese" type of strategies.

Ideally I would like to see this:

The Pirate Lord has 3 quest slots. 1st is standard Athena. 2nd is an "Athena lite" quest, that takes about 1.5 hrs to complete, and gives you about half of the Athenas chest in rep. So it's less efficient, but people would still do it when they didn't have time for a full Athenas, rather than not playing at all.

The third would be the "Athena heavy," quest, and I imagine it being two full wheels of quests on your radial, 16 maps. So, about a six hour quest that would reward you with rep for about 2.5 Athenas chests.

This would reward people for playing longer sessions, but take away the "all or nothing" factor of playing less than 3 hours at a time.

• @owl-hisson said in This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy:

@popcanzombie135 said in This Pirate Legend Is Becoming Old, Fat, & Lazy:

@aod-fluid

Every thread on this forum has at least one response that amounts to "if you don't like it, you just aren't bootstrapping hard enough," as if that's the answer to any problem someone has with the game. Stop doing that for a minute.

It's not an "effort" thing, it's a "time" thing. I grinded to PL while my playtime was often only 45 mins to an hour. I might sit down and play multiple time a day, but it was short stretches, not one marathon.

Now if I want to rank up at all, I have to be willing to sit in one spot for 2.5 hours. That's how long it takes to run an athenas without doing any speedrunning or "cheese" type of strategies.

Ideally I would like to see this:

The Pirate Lord has 3 quest slots. 1st is standard Athena. 2nd is an "Athena lite" quest, that takes about 1.5 hrs to complete, and gives you about half of the Athenas chest in rep. So it's less efficient, but people would still do it when they didn't have time for a full Athenas, rather than not playing at all.

The third would be the "Athena heavy," quest, and I imagine it being two full wheels of quests on your radial, 16 maps. So, about a six hour quest that would reward you with rep for about 2.5 Athenas chests.

This would reward people for playing longer sessions, but take away the "all or nothing" factor of playing less than 3 hours at a time.

This is the problem with this game. This game is NOT intended to be played in short bursts. Just like raiding in a game such as WoW, or you want the big toys, you have to put in the big time.

This game was never shy about saying that. It was quite clear from everyone that was in alpha and beta what it took to progress at a decent pace in this game.

So again, what is lacking here is patience. What people complain about is their own lack of patience. Everything in this game is obtainable by anyone once the time and effort have been applied to the game. If you don't like that, then the solution is not to strip the game away from people that have time... it is to earn things as you earn them and stop complaining about them.

Again, I have been Athena's 10 for some time. I used ZERO cheese methods to get there. None during leveling to 50/50/50 and none while going to Athena's 10.

I have 3 kids, a wife, a mortgage, I run a business, and I still got it done before most people.

That said, I would like to see OTHER ways of earning Athena's rep for people that do not have 2.5 - 4 hours of time to sit and play a game. This entire game needs that though...and commendation letters are just about the dumbest and laziest way to do that. They should have introduced shorter quests across the board that award you fractional reputation.

• @owl-hisson Also, I never did figure out if "reputation gains" were tied to "turn-in value"...but it seems to work that way. Lowering the value of chests not only slowed money gains, but it also slowed reputation gains as far as I understand it.

Someone at @Rare-Ltd should say whether or not you get a return on reputation based on value of the item handed in.

Instead of focusing on adding the things they have added, they really should have sunk some time into voyages. They could come up with a time/payout-estimate on voyages and you could refresh the UI until you got one you had time for.

Even better would have been to add various voyage types, and I don't mean "cargo runs" which are nothing but inanimate pigs.

• @aod-fluid shorter quests that reward a little less rep per hour, that's what I was getting at. Obviously this game isn't conducive to play times less than about 45 mins bare minimum, but I find it annoying that I ranked up the other factions playing one hour at a time many nights, and now I have no way of ranking up, even at a slower overall pace, if I have less than 3 hours to play at a time.

• I agree most people who get too PL just leave the game for what it is cuz there is nothing really to do besides Athena for a ghost outfit. they should really add some more stuff altho there are not too many PL yet the small group of em should get attention from the devs aswell.

Views
45 out of 46