Riddle me this

• As someone who has been playing since the technical Alpha, I find so many people failing to complete voyages because of riddles. Given that the effort to reward ratio is so low, I truly believe these need to be re-worked. Perhaps they could be redesigned to provide more unique chest like sorrows or grog ( maybe even a few new ones), or perhaps a chest can be dug up at each point of the riddle so that a voyage can walk away with 2-4 chest depending in how many points you need to solve. Regardless of this I truly believe they need some TLC stat as it continues to plague the community from fully committing to voyage competition (other than for Athena of course). Thanks for hearing me out!

Views
  • Yeah, the multiple chests in one riddle could be nice. Also, it could be like when you dig a chest, another riddle for that island appears and so on.

• My friend and I that plays together all the time always search the island when doing the riddles. We would usually find a chest or two just lying around or a skull along with crates. Yes they are riddles but if one guy solves it then the rest search the island, you will most likely walk away with more chest. We even found chest of sorrows sitting in a cave .

• @lumberjack0027 Question... if you've been playing since Technical Alpha... Where is your Founder badge?....

• Most of the chest rng has been updated a few patches ago when you are 45+ to not spawn castaways with the lowest being that of the marauders, though this only applies to the main voyages not ones that are found in bottles which I feel should also have this fix in since unless it spawns a cursed chest I just leave them for the rng gods if we are passing the island to let someone just tap the chest and leave it for anyone else sailing past to take it.

When I was actually in need of grinding out the gold I would be picking all the ones up even the extra riddle ones for the sake of it but its moot now to even bother with nothing but a tap as stated previous in that regard since I can just join an Athena fleet to grind out the gold even faster even with the new 75/50 ratio for hand ins.

• It's funny, the riddle ones are my favorite. My spacial reasoning is apparently faulty when it comes to maps 😝

• @mad-jack-ketch that's a good question perhaps Rare can fix that for me one day, guess I dont post enough join me on the seas and I'll show you!

• @lumberjack0027 there are original founders that gave out codes for in-game founder items.

• I don't get it. I'm no genius but it rarely takes me a few minutes to solve a riddle. At worst there's a handful of steps at that. I rather appreciate the riddles to be honest, they're quick and easy, and the fastest stops during an Athena's to boot thanks to the lack of needing to dig 4+ chests...

I'm not attempting to be antagonistic. But I really don't see the weight to this thought?

I'm more in line with @SALEMREAPER999 here... one person solves the riddle... the other(s) load up supplies and scavenge for rando loot.

As a matter of note: I've never failed a riddle... are these things really bothering people?

Again, not trying to be sly or insulting here.. i'm just rather surprised to see any vocalization of this sort of opinion. At most i'd say perhaps elevate the reward scale for riddles since only one item is gained... it's nice to get better loot from them when one considers that's the only primary reward is a single item. Particularly when in some cases a riddle may be the only part to a voyage.

• @blooddoll22 yes. Some are difficult. It's the riddles that have you looking for an obscure item such as the fisherman's camp that doesnt look like a camp at all. It's just netting tied up to wood. There is also the raise your lantern, read the map, or play music at a specific spot. You found the spot but you have to try it from all angles to trigger it. By this point skeletons spawn which add on to the time spent trying to finish the riddle.

• @d-jaguar Yea, i'll give you the trigger location issue. Have encountered that back in the day. Such as Cannon cove the grove beneath the peak is pretty darn finicky.

Guess I never considered the riddles overly challenging though I wouldn't mind seeing an escalation in the reward tier for the chests on them, even if it was in favor of higher rng for what was found or a greater cursed chest % or something. Since a single chest reward is kind of lame.

• @mad-jack-ketch yeah man why you pretending to be a founder, dont got to lie to kick it!

• Exactly. I’m a Pirate Legend and when I do my Riddles, I have gotten Sea Fahrer chest. Like lol.

• @ejuback First of all, Don't ever call me a Liar, Why would I ever lie about that? ,

• @mad-jack-ketch I was talking to lumberjack bro!

• @ejuback That's alright then! It irritates me when I get called a Liar... :P Sorry for the dive.

• @lumberjack0027

The short answer is because there is no loss or gain from Voyage completions other then the cost of the voyage itself.

Without any rewards for actually completing a voyage why will people care? People will do the maps that look fun or easy or profitable, discard the rest and start a new voyage.

• @zerobubble The gain in my opinion is the accrual of the voyage completion title, which to me is the entire point of the game, costumes and levels are just the journey to obtaining every title possible!

• @lumberjack0027 said in Riddle me this:

As someone who has been playing since the technical Alpha, I find so many people failing to complete voyages because of riddles. Given that the effort to reward ratio is so low, I truly believe these need to be re-worked. Perhaps they could be redesigned to provide more unique chest like sorrows or grog ( maybe even a few new ones), or perhaps a chest can be dug up at each point of the riddle so that a voyage can walk away with 2-4 chest depending in how many points you need to solve. Regardless of this I truly believe they need some TLC stat as it continues to plague the community from fully committing to voyage competition (other than for Athena of course). Thanks for hearing me out!

I have to somewhat agree with this. I enjoyed the riddles even though sometimes I would run into one that was hard to solve but now that i have done lots I tend to skip them and go for the digs. If it had a higher chance for better chest like the chest of sorrows then I would probably do more.

• You have some better ideas then rare does. I skip them because I can make quadruple the gold by going to an island with 7+ chests than the riddle island. Why waste time?

• @blooddoll22

👍

• @lumberjack0027 said in Riddle me this:

As someone who has been playing since the technical Alpha, I find so many people failing to complete voyages because of riddles. Given that the effort to reward ratio is so low, I truly believe these need to be re-worked. Perhaps they could be redesigned to provide more unique chest like sorrows or grog ( maybe even a few new ones), or perhaps a chest can be dug up at each point of the riddle so that a voyage can walk away with 2-4 chest depending in how many points you need to solve. Regardless of this I truly believe they need some TLC stat as it continues to plague the community from fully committing to voyage competition (other than for Athena of course). Thanks for hearing me out!

Before reading your full post, I had already typed the following:

People write off riddles as being terrible... but I have gotten MOST of my Sorrow and Grog chests from riddles. They also take very little time to do...

• It would also help if random loot was more abundunt like it seemed to be during sunken curse. There seemed to be loot everywhere for that. You’d go to an island for a riddle and get 3 statues and 5 or 6 pieces of random loot laying around

• I was not going to advertise this until I had got closer to getting all the screenshots I need, but my Sea of Thieves fansite now includes a database of about 150 riddle clues over 20 different islands.

It is at http://surveyorpete.fun/Tools/Riddles

I know there are many more riddles to be added, and those that are listed are not yet fully mapped and illustrated; but I am working on it. But, it may be of use to someone.

http://www.surveyorpete.fun/

• @surveyorpete said in Riddle me this:

I was not going to advertise this until I had got closer to getting all the screenshots I need, but my Sea of Thieves fansite now includes a database of about 150 riddle clues over 20 different islands.

It is at http://surveyorpete.fun/Tools/Riddles

I know there are many more riddles to be added, and those that are listed are not yet fully mapped and illustrated; but I am working on it. But, it may be of use to someone.

http://www.surveyorpete.fun/

Looks good (abit slow loading atm), why not ask the community to help with the missing screenshots?

• @nessiroj

why not ask the community to help with the missing screenshots?

I prefer to do my own photography. Like a real photographer, I often find myself sitting out a storm, and waiting for the sun to get in just the right position for the best light. :-)

But, I will be asking for clues that I don't have.

I will have to do something about just-in-time loading of pics, to speed things up.

• @surveyorpete atleast you know the setting is perfect atleast :)

Keep it going, the game get's bigger and bigger. I'm sure ppl don't mind to help and you can always replace the image when you got one yourself :)

• I absolutely love doing the riddles, however as said before the work/reward ratio needs to be gone over.

• @lumberjack0027

I've seen a few suggestions along these lines and I sort of got to thinking about it - I do agree it'd be good to see a little reworking of the rewards but my main thought was really - are we looking at these the wrong way round?

I'll explain a bit - I enjoy the riddles, I like exploring, I love knowing my way round the islands and every nook and cranny. Everyone likes rewards though, and gold is the reward for doing this, but what if we stopped chasing the gold and looked at the experience of solving the riddle as the reward.

Maybe in that case it isn't the rewards that need changing but perhaps the whole riddle experience being enhanced somehow, or else we just slow down and don't fret too much about the reward but enjoy the experience.

Views
1 out of 30