Rusty

• Yesterday was the first time in ages I jumped into the SOT for a bit of piracy gaming. I hit up my old ship mate from the Netherlands and he stuck down an OS voyage and off we sailed on a Brigantine. Just the two of us.
    Firstly the inventory changed and there were these red flags appearing all around the map so all that had to be explained to me as we went. Deciding not to take charge as I usually did being out of the loop for so long, I let my friend more or less captain the ship...Before long we arrived at our destination...Devils ridge, Beached AND ANCHORED in the firing line of a cannon manned by a skelly on one of the island's bluffs looking out over the coast. After much struggle, patching holes, bailing water and attempts at raising the anchor, I recalled the best course of action was to get that skelly off the cannon and so I took the initiative, we salvaged the situation and sailed round to our bounty - cursed skelly's of all varieties, time to collect skulls.. I remembered how to do this! Just cannon them from the ship while my mate runs around on the shore, it'll be quick and we'll be on our way to the next in no time...No, no one was looking out, no pre-planning was done and I was still oiling all my rustiness, A sloop comes out of nowhere, bombards us with cannon balls, we are boarded and swiftly executed and we lose our ship and what skulls we did manage to get lol.

Now I know how my many victims felt back in the day when we were rolling around double crossing teams or ambushing ships at skelly forts...

It was fun but I was a little peeved that we lost our stuff not even an hour into the game. lol. Its all part of the game though.

Views
  • Needless to say, I decided to give SOT a rest instantly and the thought of going back on was off putting. lol. I might go solo for awhile. I seem to be quite successful on my own. More cautious.

• Ahoy matey!
    I feel your pain! It can be demoralizing to lose your hard-won treasure, for sure. But I daresay that will be less likely to happen again, as you get your sea legs back under you. I enjoy sailing solo and it makes for excellent practice for handling the ship in tricky situations. I highly recommend that if you do 1-2 person crews, stick with the sloop. I also play with my hubby, and sometimes my nephew, and the Brigantine is nice and fast, but is very fragile (it sits veeeery low in the water and you only have a single deck below, once that one fills you are done for). The sloop is actually a nice scrappy little boat!

Hopefully you will return to the seas soon! :)

Views
2 out of 3