Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018

• There were questions posed over 3 different platforms, youtube, twitch and mixer, here are the answers kindly summarised by Sea of Thieves HQ and posted on reddit - copied out here for ease of access...

• Bits in the captains quarter, such as the small ship, has been prototyped for use, and will be given function as the updates come out.

• They are currently working on unused skelly forts, because some are more complex and pathing is more complicated. Soontm. May stagger their release.

• Raising tankard "only a matter of time".

• Barrel UI change coming, you go into the barrels now, so they store more than one item.

• They've "barely even scratched the surface" - When asked about adding more weapons.

• More types of cannonballs is possible and more types of weapons are coming, not in the next few updates though.

• Pets in 2019 minimum. want to make it be functional, interact with the world etc

• More cursed chests are coming, cursed artefacts too!

• Something small soon to enrich the Athena grind, Medium term a slightly larger update for PL's. Proper visit for PL's changes are long term.

• Something about skeleton ships, - they'd like more organic behaviour like Meg but technical issues getting that to work at the moment, but were working on it. Post release they'll be like skellie forts indicated by a ship shaped cloud in the sky.

• "Puzzles on islands"? Loves the idea of it, but not sure how you would make it repayable, its a problem they want to find a solution to.

• "Interesting idea harpoons, wish we'd thought of it" (/S). "What would you harpoon though, i'd feel bad about harpooning whales". ??????

• They've identified that forts need merchant alliance loot. Coming soon!

• More mermaid lore and underwater part of the game is something they want to explore and is coming

• Something about sea wildlife whales and dolphins, wasn't around to hear properly what they said :(((( - Somebody please fill this in!

• Shop above Order of Souls will be used and outpost buildings will be expanded as they introduce more NPC's

• Man-of-war with 6+ players has been discussed, no immediate plans.

• They acknowledged the need for more women's clothing

• Face paint hopefully coming between Forsaken Shores and the following content update. Mike thinks they are really cool.

• Rowboats will have storage, but not ammo.

• Not currently planning to add dolphins or whales; they don't like the idea of those creatures being targets. (Edit: upon rewatching, it might just be dolphins he has a problem with. He seemed more open to a Moby D**k kind of whale, but still not excited about it. Seems like they want more predator style wildlife in general.)

• Video this Thursday about rowboats.

• The Devil's Roar won't have a skelly fort initially, but will eventually have one.

• Pirate Legend weapons coming soon™

• The Devil's Roar is the size of an existing biome and will expand the map to the east.

• The Forsaken Shores' side quest will always stick around, not just limited to the release event.

• They do plan to add sourcing supplies from merchants (like buying supplies) eventually, but it's essentially the third step in completing the merchant alliance.

• TFS will not add burning ships or players, but "it sounds like a good idea"

• They want to overhaul PL goals "this year" so they have more to go after

• "Nerf piggy hunger" - "It's something we probably should review"

• They'd love to do ship names, it's just a matter of time

• They may add more ammo types once they've added more weapon types (in other words, no time soon)

End of Line

Views
  • Thanks for sharing this here @katttruewalker! I was just about to do a write-up, but this has saved me saved me the time. There was so much talked about and I just kept stopping to laugh along with Jackie.

• My favourite part was Jackie calling her self a Legend in her own house.

She is a legend now.

Also Stronghold Chickens! lol!

• @m1sterpunch Did you see the post they were on about? I missed it and had to do a bit of searching!

Love the idea!

• This is probably the most information we have ever been given about the game at once! This is the kind of insight we need into the game so we know our voices and suggestions are being heard.

It’s nice to see they are slowly being more open about there development ideas and thoughts.

And being the only person it seems on the planet who doesn’t want fishing in game I find it brilliant we had a interview per say and it wasn’t brought up aha!

Let’s keep this type of information and involvement coming! :)

• @katttruewalker
    Thanks for sharing this, I didn't have time to watch whole thing.

Sounds like a lot of cool changes are coming.

• I missed a large chunk of it as I am at work and had to go back to the re-broadcast. Did anyone ask about invite a ship to your server? Otherwise I thought the back and forth was awesome. As Knife said, a lot more information came from this than any other update or feed.

• Pets 2019 minimum. Feelsbadman.

• @musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018:

@m1sterpunch Did you see the post they were on about? I missed it and had to do a bit of searching!

Love the idea!

I really hope this is added. Even as a super rare drop. That is amazing.

• My guess is:
    After the Forsaken Shores they'll have a Bilge Rat Adventure called:
    Fort Over Drive
    It'll activate the remaining forts.

• @sgt-palooggoo Awwww man they missed the trick:

Fort Saken Shores!

• @musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018:

@sgt-palooggoo Awwww man they missed the trick:

Fort Saken Shores!

Hehehe, good one!

• @sgt-palooggoo said in Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018:

@musicmee said in Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018:

@sgt-palooggoo Awwww man they missed the trick:

Fort Saken Shores!

Hehehe, good one!

Fort-Shaking Chores.

Ok I'm done.

• They also said there will be a tavern in foresaken shores.

• @aclassali said in Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018:

They also said there will be a tavern in foresaken shores.

"The Devil's Pour"

• @aclassali said in Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018:

They also said there will be a tavern in foresaken shores.

I wonder if it'll have a mysterious second floor...
    SF

• @KattTruewalker Thanks for this😁

• @knifelife said

And being the only person it seems on the planet who doesn’t want fishing in game I find it brilliant we had a interview per say and it wasn’t brought up aha!

You're not alone mate.
    Fishing would be pointless in this game unless we could cook and eat the fish for an added health boost.

• @katttruewalker Is there a vod anywhere? Couldn't watch cuz I was at work :(

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw khaleesi's post lol

• @katttruewalker Thank you yet again for relaying the news here.

I'm sorry but after hearing the same ol' lines for the past five months it's easy to sound a little cynical.

• Bits in the captains quarter, such as the small ship, has been prototyped for use, and will be given function as the updates come out.

I'd prefer their focus placed on the brigantine interior.

• They are currently working on unused skelly forts, because some are more complex and pathing is more complicated. Soontm. May stagger their release.

Good to finally see hear of work being done towards making these forts functional.

• Raising tankard "only a matter of time".

It wouldn't hurt if drinking wasn't even in the game, or at least not on a vessel making crew members less than useless. But whatever.

• Barrel UI change coming, you go into the barrels now, so they store more than one item.

Hey, so anyone could be a stowaway inside a barrel now?
    edit: After seeing the stream myself, turns out you can only look in the barrels not "go into" them.

• They've "barely even scratched the surface" - When asked about adding more weapons.

• More types of cannonballs is possible and more types of weapons are coming, not in the next few updates though.

• Pets in 2019 minimum. want to make it be functional, interact with the world etc

• More cursed chests are coming, cursed artefacts too!

Yeah yeah yeah, more promises without an actual time placed on them. Not even a rough estimate.
    It's like telling the kids to be good in January because Santa's "coming soon".

Although I don't care for pets in this game, pets have been mentioned in many of their videos since launch, as if they are the next thing to expect. And now we hear that they won't be in this year makes you wonder about anything else they say they have on the back burner.

• Something small soon to enrich the Athena grind, Medium term a slightly larger update for PL's. Proper visit for PL's changes are long term.

And not a half year too "soon".

• Something about skeleton ships, i missed it :( Think it was something to do with making them something other than their post-cursed sails implementation; which they said was indication by a ship shaped cloud in the sky.

Thank goodness for suggestions on the forums. They'd be lost without us. lol

• "Puzzles on islands"? Loves the idea of it, but not sure how you would make it repayable, its a problem they want to find a solution to.

As are a lot of half baked ideas. You'd think a "road map" would consist of more than a single column list of words. But here we are.

• "Interesting idea harpoons, wish we'd thought of it" (/S). "What would you harpoon though, i'd feel bad about harpooning whales". ??????

• They've identified that forts need merchant alliance loot. Coming soon!

• More mermaid lore and underwater part of the game is something they want to explore and is coming

• Shop above Order of Souls will be used and outpost buildings will be expanded as they introduce more NPC's

• Man-of-war with 6+ players has been discussed, no immediate plans.

• They acknowledged the need for more women's clothing

More words saying as little as possible.

• Rowboats will have storage, but not ammo.

Finally some information other than just saying they've acknowledge the feedback.
    Does it make the Ugo any better by the manufacturers acknowledging that the Ferrari is a faster vehicle?

• Not currently planning to add dolphins or whales; they don't like the idea of those creatures being targets. (Edit: upon rewatching, it might just be dolphins he has a problem with. He seemed more open to a Moby D**k kind of whale, but still not excited about it. Seems like they want more predator style wildlife in general.)

Simply make dolphins and whales non-static (immune to any form of harm). It's not rocket science.

The rest did give some info such as "Oh we hadn't thought about that", "maybe", "we've acknowledged it" and "it's just a matter of time".

Sometimes we are fooled into thinking that they are revealing news but when you just read the answers it's the same four replies I mentioned above. :/
    Sorry for coming across negatively but it's depressing to hear the same scratched record.
    Actions speak louder than words. So until I see that red clothed fat butt coming down the chimney I won't be holding my breath.

So what was actually revealed or answered straight forward?
    . Barrel UI change coming, you go into the barrels now, so they store more than one item.
    . They are currently working on unused skelly forts
    . Rowboats will have storage, but not ammo.
    . The Devil's Roar won't have a skelly fort initially, but will eventually have one.
    . The Forsaken Shores' side quest will always stick around, not just limited to the release event.

• @admiral-rrrsole said in Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018:

You're not alone mate.
    Fishing would be pointless in this game unless we could cook and eat the fish for an added health boost.

I reckon it will be part of merchant voyages. I can imagine all of the possibilities, 1x white chicken, 1x pink pig, 2x blue snakes, 1x gold fish. Or 2x red speckled chickens, 1x black pig, 2x black snakes, and 2x white fish. Tons of different combinations possible.

Seriously though, I am looking forward to do some fishing.

• @lifewcoke lol Sounds like they would need to hand us fish bowls to capture them.

If using the traditional line and hook then wouldn't we need different bait? Or do we just kill anything that isn't the right colour?

• @admiral-rrrsole
    Admiral I really agree with your statement on Whales & Dolphins.
    Just make they can't be killed.
    Their just cosmetic.

Ahoy Maties!
    Well, it seems my theory on where the Devil's Roar was gonna be located on the map was correct!
    Celebration

In an Interview with Gamerreactor Executive Producer Joe Neate revealed where the Devil's Roar will be located.

He said that it'll be an extension of the Sea of Thieves, the Devil's Roar will be South East of the Current seas.
    That's means Devil's Ridge is (kinda) the start of the Devil's Roar.

So I'd expect some teases for Forsaken Shores over at Devil's Ridge and Ancient Spire Outpost once surver maintenance is done Tomorrow!
    ( What I mean by teases is like when Wanda started turning Skeleton before Cursed Sails launched or Merrick showing up on Shark bait Cove before The Hungering Deep launched)

• @sgt-palooggoo Right?
    I'm glad that they don't want to see dolphins or whales harmed but they just take the easy way out.

All non-threatening animals should be non-static, like the birds flying overhead in the game.
    When adding any animal to the game they have a conscious decision to make them static or not. It's not hard.

The chickens and pigs could be released on the quest island if not the correct colour.
    Better yet, make them only trapped when you have a contract for that specific animal. This does away with the merchant cheese.

• Thanks @katttruewalker – Not had a chance to watch the stream yet so my comments/feedback is just from what’s written here.

Captain quarters having interactive areas
    I like this but hope it’s more stats, news, crew/alliance manage kinda stuff. I know some would like the option to change their ship cosmetics while at sea but I like the fact we need to visit the shipwright at an outpost.

Unused skelly forts
    Rather than just activating them like the current forts, I’d like to see these used as boss fights. Complete a few chapters of OoS then you’re sent to one of these to fight a boss skelly & their army.

Raising tankard - Yeah, finally!

Pets
    There better be pet snakes! I want to drop it on other ships and watch it cause havoc attacking it’s crew.

Cursed chest & artefacts
    Seen loads of great ideas from the community so can’t wait to see what we get.

Puzzles
    YES!!! Finally we may see some Goonies type quests.

They've identified that forts need merchant alliance loot
    I’m guessing they mean to equal the Skull & Chest value.

Man-of-war
    I know this has been requested a bit but I’m not sure if it’s needed. Will be interested to see if & how it’ll be implemented.

Face paint - FREEEEEEDOM!

Rowboat storage
    Only thing I can think you’ll need is a tackle box if fishing does make it into the game.

Buying supplies
    As long as cannonballs, wood & food isn’t part of this I’m fine. Also, when are we going to be made to pay for bullets and have to resupply our ammo crate on the ship? Also, what about cursed bullets?

• @admiral-rrrsole Bait or lures. I know FFXV for example had different lures for different fish types rather then bait. ESO I believe had different baits which you had to gather yourself. In Neir Automata you just fished. Not really sure how SOT would handle but I bet it would be a rather simpler system.

• @admiral-rrrsole said in Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018:

@sgt-palooggoo Right?
    I'm glad that they don't want to see dolphins or whales harmed but they just take the easy way out.

All non-threatening animals should be non-static, like the birds flying overhead in the game.
    When adding any animal to the game they have a conscious decision to make them static or not. It's not hard.

The chickens and pigs could be released on the quest island if not the correct colour.
    Better yet, make them only trapped when you have a contract for that specific animal. This does away with the merchant cheese.

It could work, but for now I just wanna be able to let animals out of the cages.

• @lifewcoke Fishing just makes me really skeptical. They have it on ESO and Ark, and I personally just found it so boring and pointless.

You just sit there for 10 mins and wait for the line to drop or press the odd button prompt. I find it truly depressing lol.

I mean maybe if it was done in the way of Assassins creed where you are out on the rowboat and you have your spears/harpoons ect.. but they even stated above they are skeptical about killing creatures like that so it would be very unlikely.

I personally would rather put resources and time into other things. But that’s just me being pessimistic, maybe they could make it unique and interesting....it’s a bigggg maybe though l**o

• @knifelife

I understand your scepticism here as most fishing minigames I've experienced are fairly standard and involve a lot of waiting, the only one which I've ever played that was a lot of fun was that in PotCo - you'd catch not only fish with every catch but there was an interactive mechanism which meant you weren't just sitting there twiddling your thumbs til you got a bite, and then once you achieved a certain level you'd be able to fish for legendary fish which were a whole other ball game. You could also fish up all sorts of strange items including clothing besides the fish.

Just an example and I'm sure Rare are going to create this in their own unique way.

• @katttruewalker Yeah that definitely sounds a little more interesting than just sitting there haha maybe bring up the odd Rare crate of tea or something to sweeten the incentive aha.

Hmm maybe I’ll throw up a thread later to see if as a community we can all throw down some ideas for the team to make it so it’s something truly unique and enjoyable and not just a waiting game. :)

Or released on another island that they weren't indigenous to, become an invasive species and disrupt the ecosystem so that all the animals die and there's no food anywhere in the Sea of Thieves. The merchants all pick up and leave and the servers crash.

At least that can be the Official Story™ when they break the game with the patch!

• Cursed Fishing!

• I know how they could implement puzzles on islands in a replayable way, tie island puzzles/minigames into the merchant alliance by making players do teamwork and skill based puzzles and minigames to process and craft goods, let us explore to gather and harvest tea spices, silks, sugar, and whatever else they add, make raw materials worth less or nothing at all, and have specifc items minigames in specific places. Then as long as the minigames themselves were designed to be fun it would be amazing. This would provide depth and decision making to merchanting and in turn pirating, while also making the pve itself more fun. It also gives each island its own twist to the gameplay and gives a reason for some non outpost islands to have npc.

• @knifelife said in Sea of Thieves Livestream Answers - via Sea of Thieves HQ - 28th August 2018:

@lifewcoke Fishing just makes me really skeptical. They have it on ESO and Ark, and I personally just found it so boring and pointless.

You just sit there for 10 mins and wait for the line to drop or press the odd button prompt. I find it truly depressing lol.

This kind of reflects recreational fishing in real life which is probably why I am ok with it. I usually find this relaxing.

I mean maybe if it was done in the way of Assassins creed where you are out on the rowboat and you have your spears/harpoons ect.. but they even stated above they are skeptical about killing creatures like that so it would be very unlikely.

Not currently planning to add dolphins or whales; they don't like the idea of those creatures being targets.

I actually found this part laughable. I mean, they are perfectly ok with the killing of human pirates or slaughtering animals because they are the wrong color but the killing of digital dolphins and whales is crossing the line? How does that make sense? I know my morality meter can be a bit skewed regarding some things but I am having trouble following their logic on this. Spearing/Harpooning sounds fun to me.

• @katttruewalker Thanks for the breakdown.

The bit about skellie ships:

Something about skeleton ships, i missed it :( Think it was something to do with making them something other than their post-cursed sails implementation; which they said was indication by a ship shaped cloud in the sky.

If it's the part I recall, the question had to do with Skellie Ships ambushing ships in the world - like the Megalodon. The response was that they were having technical issues getting that to work at the moment, but were working on it.

Views
1 out of 38