Ability to Document Journals - Captain's Log

• One thing I, and other players have stated, is that we need more lore in the game. Rare has sort of reacted to this by dropping random journals into the game, but they're not exactly world building or fulfilling and you don't even remember them after reading them. The journals/lore from the mini campaigns have been the most enjoyable, but again there's no way to easily access them again without having to sail to the islands they're at. If Rare would implement the ability to record the journals after reading them that would give a lot more value to the journals/lore.

This catalog would have to be well implemented too. It shouldn't just be a list of the last journals you read, but broken into categories and subcategories. For instance, there'd be a category for campaigns and a category for islands. Within the campaign category there'd be subcategories for each mini campaign and with the Islands category there'd be subcategories for each specific island. Not only would this help make sense of the lore for each island/event, but could also serve for puzzle solving and expanding on a greater story. You could have an instance where one journal entry doesn't seem to make much sense on its own, but if you find another entry or two it creates a sensible story.

What do you guys think? What other ways could we expand on lore?

From Admiral RRRSole:
    "It should also record all in-game text messages [from other players] as so many of us miss what was written by fellow crew members and others crews.

As a part of a temp page (only lasting the one game session) it could show who entered or left the crew at what time. This would help catch silent griefers who only join a game to unload the ship's loot into the sea. Another cool feature would be to record how much gold the session made."

Views
    story & lore
  • @shibby-544 Interesting suggestion indeed. I feel like there needs to be more incentive for discovering the lore if this was to be implemented. Maybe for collecting X amount of journals you’d be awarded doubloons?
    Very original idea, nice!

• @haydensolo
    Thanks.

I think the lore itself would be the reward and exploring also brings about the chance of finding treasures and other items. Also the campaign does reward for completing the quest lines. But I suppose I wouldn't argue with doubloons.

• I'd like the amount of lore uncovered in game to be shown with a cosmetic. A book shelf that fills with the journals you've found, or a map rack that fills up.

• @shibby-544 Agreed, what kind of a ship is it without a captain's log?

We've had similar suggestions here before but I don't think they included the journal lore.
    The captain's log could have chapters on each campaign and events.
    It should also record all in-game text messages as so many of us miss what was written by fellow crew members and others crews.

As a part of a temp page (only lasting the one game session) it could show who entered or left the crew at what time. This would help catch silent griefers who only join a game to unload the ship's loot into the sea.
    Another cool feature would be to record how much gold the session made.

• @admiral-rrrsole

I didn't even think to call it a Captain's Log, but it's so obvious. ha

The temp page that records session text is a great idea too. I'll add that to the main post if you don't mind. I'll reference you of course.

• @gutterangel

I really like that idea. I've seen posts commenting on being able to earn trophies and having more customization options, but adding the journals to your bookshelf would be really neat.

Views
story & lore
1 out of 7