Lore in the game -ways to add emergent story

• So I touched on the idea that in the earlier builds of the game the voyages you purchased from the various factions had more lore in them. But also I was thinking about the lore in the various emergent encounters such as ship wrecks.

For example: Imagine your exploring an island and find a journal that tells the tale of a ship and a crew. Imagine if you find several journals (again this is not related to the expansions or DLC) and really give the player a sense of this crew and their adventures. Maybe like Flameheart they too turned into Skeletons.

Than imagine you randomly come across their shipwreck to loot. Suddenly that shipwreck isn't loot and supply box with no other purpose. It is now a physical part of the lore and story of that crew. And now imagine when you take on an Order of Souls voyage it is to hunt down that very crew. Now it's not just another grind but actually there is a story behind these skellies.

What if on a voyage you happen to come upon a castaway on one of the smaller islands. And he trades safe passage back to the outpost for his knowledge of some buried treasure.

What about planting some dialog on merchants related to various voyages or shipwrecks. It's about seeding the storied throughout the world for players to come across and discover.

Views
    story & lore
  • I would personally love some more lore in SoT even if it is only in small pieces. Btw, a little birdy told me that in Forsaken Shores, the storyline will basically be that Wanda/Warsmith is called to Devil's Roar by Flameheart.

• @xboxfanuk
    Yeah, I definitely want more lore in the game. They kind of made an attempt at small lore in game with the lore books, but those are rare and are really just an excuse for another fetch quest rather than anything fulfilling.

As you mentioned, it would be nice if you could have several quests or story lines that could be connected, but even more important if there was a sub-menu that documented all the journals so they could be referenced later on.

• It would be great if they had "message in a bottle" and Journal quests that span different factions via chapters.

Chapter 1: Hunt the crew of the Dreadful Dame.
    Chapter 2: Now that their captain is dead you "found" the map to their treasure on sunken grove clutched in her hand.
    Chapter 3: among their treasure you find a whispering about another crew they faced.... Bounty number 2.

• I feel like these kinda things tend to just become the next thing you only half pay attention too quickly after you've experienced it all in a few sessions.

But... In theory I love the ideas. And maybe if rare could really add a ton of these kinda systems at once, make them very uncommon experiences, and not explain anything about it except hey keep an eye out for new people, and tips etc. It could be great.

Maybe even like multi-session length stuff. Where you finding the first part of the quest gets triggered when you find a random guy. And he gives you a reward but then you can come across him again and he clues you into a bigger mystery.

Views
story & lore
1 out of 5