How could Gold Hoarders voyages be improved?

• Gold Hoarders

Ahoy there!

As the title suggested, I wanted to collect suggestions to spice up Gold Hoarder voyages with new or altered voyage types or mechanisms. If you have any feedback or ideas, let me know in a post below and I'll try to update this (and give credit) accordingly.

For suggestions on the other two factions check here:
    Order of Souls voyage suggestions
    Merchant Alliance voyage suggestions

We're in the money! (Additional loot types)

Currently the Gold Hoarders will mostly request you to fetch treasures in the form of chests (since they have the only key for those chests). They'll also reward you for some smaller items like the cups and other trinkets that you find in fort treasure or on a beach.
    With the Gold Hoarders being somewhat shady I could imagine them dealing in any matter of items without asking questions about the original owner. Thinking of additional loot types like paintings, decorative artwork, jewelry and bags of diamonds.

Changes to riddle maps

The riddle maps are a lot of fun and some are quite hard, however a lot of people don't think they're worth it because they take a long time and the rewards seem to make it not worth it.

Have riddels span across islands
    Having a longer riddle that spans across islands or even a single riddle that at the end lets you dig up followup maps.

Add sketches to riddles (Suggestion by @Erinom3)
    Instead of describing a certain features on an island, the pirate that hid the treasure could also have made a sketch of a very recognizable landmark on an island.

Add underwater markers as well
    On some islands there are some quite nice locations underwater, they could be implemented into parts of riddles as well.

A worthy reward
    To reward your effort of finding a treasure through a long riddle, it should reward you with a significant treasure. Why would the pirate that hid his/her treasure go through all that trouble when the treasure wasn't worth hiding in the first place.

Multiple dig spots
    At the tree closest to the camp walk 7 paces NE and dig then 5 paces SE for chest number 2 and 10 paces N for the final reward.

Multiple chests in the same digspot (Suggested by @Hynieth)
    Seeing how you can stack multiple chests into eachother, having a higher number of chests on the same digspot shouldn't be too hard to implement.

Smaller rewards in between islands
    It would be nice if you get a small reward on each island, like a relic, flagon or jewelry box together with the clues that direct you to the next island (Suggestion by @IceMan-0007).

Better treasure for long riddles
    The longer the riddle, the higher the chances for good chests.

More steps to the reward
    By adding more directions to the ending you'll make the treasure harder to find. Example:
    Walk 15 paces N-NE, from there 5 paces S, 12 paces E, 3 paces NW and there is where you'll find the treasure.

Retrieval of specific hidden treasures

Sea of Thieves has a lot of hidden locations and uncharted islands. Give players a voyage to uncover the secrets of a hidden cave. Looking for a Rare pieces of loot in combination with exploring hidden locations will be a nice addition.

Serverwide Scavenger Hunt (Suggestion by @Hynieth, @John-Hatter)

At a random time (once a day) everyone on the server will get a riddle, either by just adding a riddle map to their inventory, showing the riddle like the server merge message or showing a banner. The riddle promises a large treasure to the first crew that finds it.

Upon solving the first clue and dicovering the location you'll have to complete tasks to find the next clues. These tasks can vary from normal riddle solving, digging up new clues, finding clues in scattered books or notes, defeating some skeletons or finding a specific animal. Each clue will give you information towards the next one.

Clues won't dissapear so sabotage won't be possible, however the first that'll find the end will get all the rewards, the rest will just find a note saying they were too late. The treasure itself should make it worth everyone's time.

Uncovering sunken treasure

Voyages to "Look for the 3 sunken chests North of the coast of Island X"

Rumoured treasure (Side-Voyage)

Have the Gold Hoarder conversation contain bits and pieces that hint towards treasure on certain locations. Instead of it just being random chatter, make sure there's actual treasure there.

Pirate of the Week award (Weekly challenge)

Every week there will be a challenge of collecting the most valuable treasure. Everyone will automatically be signed up for it and the counter is reset after every maintainance. With the extra chat option at the Gold Hoarders "So how am I doing for the challenge?", they'll let you know how much gold you've collected over that week (or maybe add it at the top of the Gold Hoarder commendation page).
    At the end of the week, the pirate with the most valuable treasure will get the Pirate of the Week reward, which is a symbolic amount of money, a title "Pirate of the Week" and your name on pamflet attached to the Gold Hoarder tents accross all servers stating: "Pirate of the Week: Captain FishSt1ck, for the 52nd time this year".

All torn up (Suggestion by @Admiral-RRRSole)

A combination of riddle and X marks the spot.
    You dig at each clue in the riddle, revealing a piece of the torn map. After collecting all three or four pieces you then lay the map out (preferably on the ship's table) and they glow like a solved riddle clued. This could be substituted by map pieces simply being dropped close together on the ground. This action will then glow green and mark the "X" like a riddle coming into focus.

All torn up II
    An alternative to that would be using one riddle to find and dig up another riddle which could take you to a different island to dig up another riddle and so on. I think this would be way too annoying. Although if it just gave an X map on that second island it wouldn't be so bad.

Treasure roulette (Suggestion by @Admiral-RRRSole)

This would work with either X map or riddle.
    At each given location you are prompted for a choice, either take the chest or move on to the next tier of another GH riddle or X map. Leaving the island will de-spawn the unclaimed chest. The thing is, each progressive quest is worth more than the previous except for the dud (empty chest) which is added to the mix at random.
    Would you stop for a lesser value chest or let your greed take the risk of a higher reward or possibly the dud?

The worst part is you won't know until you sell it to the gold hoarder. Another twist here could be that the dud chest has a gimmick or joke. One gimmick could be that your pants drop to your ankles making you trip over but besides the extra animations a lot of pirates run around in their underwear so that wouldn't be practical. lol

Cutting out the middle man (Suggestion by @Admiral-RRRSole)

Another form of X map or riddle could find skeleton keys.
    Each key type only opens the respective chest type. So if you find a captain's key it will unlock all captain's chest during your entire game session. Unlocking the chest will earn you more gold (the GH's share) as you no longer need the Gold Hoarder to open it for you. When opened the value will instantly add to your crew's account. The same as selling it at an outpost. The chest will then de-spawn.

Following a trail of treasure

Someone robbed the gold hoarders and managed to steal a huge treasure, they damaged the chest they took though and it's spilling treasure. Follow the trail of shiny items to find the treasure. This could form a problem though if other crews would be able to see the trail of shiney loot as well and you suddenly lose the trail.

Obtaining items from NPC houses

With the Gold Hoarders being a shady bunch, they could have heard rumors of a certain item in a certain NPCs house. Finding and "taking it off their hands" would earn you a nice reward.

For example:
    The Gold Hoarders have a client that wants the painting that's currently hanging in the Tavern on Golden Sands. To obtain it, you'd either have to try and steal it without being seen or convince the innkeep to give it to you.

Stealing the painting
    Would require you to distract the innkeep in a certain way, which you have to find out by talking to other NPCs on the island. Trying to take the item without distraction, will get you killed.

Convincing the innkeep to trade you the painting
    The innkeep is willing to part with the painting after you complete a task. This would mean either deliver a message, deliver a package or retrieve an object for them.

After you successfully retrieve the painting you walk back to the Gold Hoarders with the painting (which acts similar as a map, but is a held item like a chest) and you hand it in.

Thank you for reading and again if you have any feedback or ideas, feel free to let me know in a post below and I'll try to update this (and give credit) accordingly.

Signed,

Captain FishSt1ck

Views
  • Love this, I know for a fact that chests can stack on roughly the same spot so having your shovel d**k another chest after the first one has been dug up on a riddle quest is a thing that they can implement without much trouble, making it more worth the time and effort.

• @hynieth said in How could Gold Hoarder voyages be improved?:

Love this, I know for a fact that chests can stack on roughly the same spot so having your shovel d**k another chest after the first one has been dug up on a riddle quest is a thing that they can implement without much trouble, making it more worth the time and effort.

Added it to the list :)

• While bleeding slightly away from Gold Hoarders I feel their format is set up well to play nice with the other factions. Riddles could lead to merchant stashes of crates or the final part of the riddle is fighting the undead crew before you can dig up their loot. As the game progresses I think it could be a good thing to see the hard faction lines fade a bit. Obviously for clarity the person you get the voyage from would be the bulk of the reward/dictate the format. Of course I can also see why they wouldn't do this as it undermines the clean cut nature of being able to grind out factions but an interesting direction to consider at least. Mechanically clean versus a touch of 'reality/depth'.

Also the 'Trail of Treasure' idea could be done as a simple visible trail for the voyage holder versus a literal trail of loot(though the appeal of a lootable quest trail is enjoyable to think about). And who knows with the way the game is going towards co-op/betrayal practices perhaps multi-crew voyages will become it's own thing. Would be interesting to have voyages that made 2 crews race for the prize. Who can solve the riddle first and all that. Maybe in a form of alliance voyages or something.

Anyway...I derailed a bit.Sorry~ Good ideas in all 3 of your threads.

• @john-hatter
    There is already some mixing going on when you look at the Gold Hoarders, almost everytime you put your shovel in the ground a whole bunch of skeletons pops up. Although I can see what you mean that some mixing here and there might create some variation, I also see the reason why they kept it quite strictly seperated.

About the 'Trail of Treasure', I think making it visible by only the voyage holder would be quite simple, however that would look a bit weird. I think it should be just like a OoS voyage, if you are on the same island you could kill the skeletons that spawn and get the skulls. They should actually prompt you with a Voyage failed, loot claimed by another or something then so your crew isn't aimlessly walking around looking for a trail :)

Thanks for the compliment, although they're not all my own ideas though. I think I picked up some or at least parts of some from these forums.

• @john-hatter I'd love to see a special map be obtained from for example the innkeeper every now and then (maybe a cloud could indicate the map being there) and everyone getting the same map that leads to a horde of treasure. And people have to race eachother to get to the right island and dig it up/ search for it.

For example

Step 1 could lead you to an island, It's like a riddle quest but the island's name is also a riddle. Digging up the treasure would open up a chest with a new map. (the second one to reach it doesnt have to dig up the chest so there's a little catch up mechanic there)

The second map could be fighting a skeleton crew, the skeletons would drop another map leading to something else entirely.

Eventually the map would lead to either an island full of treasure or maybe co-ordinates of the map where you have to play a tune/ hold a lantern high etc to spawn a ghost ship with lots of loot.

• Be nice if you had it span three to four islands but each time you dig up a chest have it be a clue and something small like a relic, flagon, or jewelry box that was your reward inside. Then like the different journals laying around on the islands you have to read it to get the next map location. But at that point they need to add more chest varieties in to keep it interesting.

• @FishSt1ck
    (Trail of Treasure)
    True. And the reality is the server populations would make such a thing doable so it wouldn't become a thing where you're just constantly failing them from other crews.

@Hynieth
    Yes please. Server wide scavenger hunt basically. That would be pretty exciting.

• @hynieth @John-Hatter
    I believe I saw someone suggest a serverwide riddle, it would appear on screen in a similar way as the Server Migration message. Everyone would get the same riddle to the same treasure and it would only happen at a random time every day.

• @fishst1ck
    Someone here not so long ago had a great idea which I added upon.
    Sorry, I can't for the life of me think who it was. He suggested a map torn into a couple of pieces. Each member of the crew hold one piece of the map.

To extend and improve on the idea, I thought of the following...
    All of these suggestion would need to pay out big due to the extra effort.

All torn up.
    A combination of riddle and X marks the spot.
    You dig at each clue in the riddle, revealing a piece of the torn map.
    After collecting all three or four pieces you then lay the map out (preferably on the ship's table) and they glow like a solved riddle clue.
    This could be substituted by map pieces simply being dropped close together on the ground.
    This action will then mark the "X" like a verse of a riddle gradually coming into focus.

Riddle me this.
    An alternative to that would be using one riddle to find and dig up another riddle which could take you to a different island to dig up another riddle and so on. lol
    I think this would be way too annoying. Although if it just gave an X map on that second island it wouldn't be so bad.

Treasure roulette.
    This would work with either X map or riddle.
    At each given location you are prompted for a choice, either take the chest or move on to the next tier of another GH riddle or X map.
    Leaving the island will de-spawn the unclaimed chest.
    The thing is, each progressive quest is worth more than the previous except for the dud (empty chest) which is added to the mix at random.
    Would you stop for a lesser value chest or let your greed take the risk of a higher reward or possibly the dud?

The worst part is you won't know until you sell it to the gold hoarder.
    Another twist here could be that the dud chest has a gimmick or joke.
    I was thinking that one gimmick could be that your pants drop to your ankles making you trip over but besides the extra animations a lot of pirates run around in their underwear so that wouldn't be practical. lol

Skeleton keys.
    Another form of X map or riddle could find skeleton keys.
    Each key type only opens the respective chest type.
    So if you find a captain's key it will unlock all captain's chest during your entire game session.
    Unlocking the chest will earn you more gold (the GH's share) as you no longer need the Gold Hoarder to open it for you.
    When opened the value will instantly add to your crew's account. The same as selling it at an outpost. The chest will then de-spawn.
    The key will remain in your inventory. Perhaps just the inventory of the person who found it.
    At the end of your game sell the key to the GH for a small sum of gold.

• @admiral-rrrsole
    Added your variations of the suggestion you saw :) Hope they're visible as I couldn't see my own edits on the topic when I logged in from home.

• @fishst1ck Strange, I'm not seeing them either. I'll close my browser and try again as F5 refresh didn't show changes.

edit: Nope, still not seeing changes to your list.

• @fishst1ck It's the forum.

My edits to my list haven't changed either.

• I think most importantly voyages have to constantly apply a bonus if you are a higher level. I am level 47 and 60 % of the gold hoarder quests have exactly one chapter and one treasure and I am lucky if it is a captain's chest. The only difference over a level 5 voyage is that instead of paying 50 gold to go to the next island is that I now pay 200 gold to sail across the whole map. It's simply not worth it, I rather join random games with low level players.

A level 45 voyage should always have two chapters, they should take place on four to five islands with a good mix of riddle and map quests and take me across the whole map. That's the minimum.

How to make them more interesting? I don't think it is necessary. Out of the three factions they are the most interesting. I would add a bonus if you complete voyages, so you don't cancel riddle maps that often. A $2500 bonus just for finishing a voyage at later levels (and less at lower levels, obviously) would counter that.

• The locksmith key idea is my favorite. Finding a key as a rare item that can allow you to claim the goldhoarder's share is a great idea. It would also give you an idea of what that ratio of gold is for your turn ins!

• @fishst1ck I really like your Idea, adds a twist to things, which is good.

• To me Gold Hoarders is exactly whay I expect from the faction,treasure hunting.

-It seems to scale nicely and consistently
    -riddles are not so great as you only ever get a single chest and its quality is always in question,no one wants to do a 6 step riddle on ole Faithful isle for a seafarers.
    -It could use more "endgame" type quests instead of just more of the same at level 50 perhaps multi island voyage to a cache of loot,or a "mini athena" thats just gold hoarders tasks leading to a higher tier chest than captains.
    -A treasure hunt open to the whole server would be interesting as well everyone vying for a grand prize and bragging rights but it would have to be harder and less obvious than regular riddles and hunts and probably done in steps to prevent lucky guesses or people memorizing past caches.

• @jesser92
    Yea I kindof agree that they're pretty much what you'd expect and already have some variations in the form of riddles or x-marks the spot. However there's always room for improvement.

I quite like the idea of adding some variation by mixing the factions up a bit, however when I accept a voyage from the gold hoarders, I'd expect to gain reputation with the gold hoarders. I'm guessing that's one of the reasons why they have the strict split.

Views
1 out of 19