Loot Lottery

• Here’s the idea.

The kraken, megalodon and the Skeleton ships will all be in game after the cursed sails event is over, and I think they need to have more specific purpose as boss fights. So they are set up as random events and I assume the Skeleton ships will leave their specific spots and only appear in groups of 1 or 2 at a time as a random event, but for the sake of this idea let’s say just 1.

The kraken should be buffed, and the megalodon rarer to appear but more likely to be aggressive, and the skeleton ship should have a comical bail function added where sometimes the skeleton captain will frantically panic and run from the helm and bail a bucket or two, the animation having that special rare humor to it. This wouldn’t happen if someone was on board.

This would increase the survivablity of these bosses if they made it so that the boss could retreat randomly before you can kill it similarly to how they appear.

If you pretend all of the above is true, here comes the real idea.

The kraken should use its tentacles to suck up loot from the top deck, and if it sinks a ship takes all the chests and trinkets, and the more ships that are sunk or stolen from by the kraken the larger the loot drop for whoever killed it would be.

The megalodon would get a new attack that would ram the ship to bounce players off, and any players that is killed would add a foul skull to the drop, aswell as any skulls that were on any ship that sunk, increasing the megs drop for whoever kills it.

Yep, you guessed it. The skeleton crews would be able to shoot over Skeletons who would climb the sides of the ship with an Audio cue, who would steal merchant loot and jump below the ocean and swim back to their ship at a comically fast speed. This would add to their loot drop for whoever sinks them. A way for players to produce crates of goods would enhance this and the merchant alliance as a whole.

This way each boss has a specific reason to search it out, and even if the first encounter rate is rare, once a ship engages it if the boss retreats you could go to an outpost and pay the trading company relative to that boss or maybe just the OOS person with the crystal ball, to get an approximate new location to spawn the boss. So players could hunt them for leveling purposes rather than defeating them being worth nothing, atleast in the case of the kraken and meg.

I may edit if I think of anything else or someone else has any thoughts that they want me to add that I agree with, so let me know what you think!

Views
  • I do like these ideas, and also Rare has stated that there WILL be Loot for killing the Meg and Kraken, which makes this idea really cool, yes, there will be drawbacks, but Rare will make a way, I’m sure of it.

• @a-cranky-eskimo said in Loot Lottery:

The kraken should use its tentacles to suck up loot from the top deck, and if it sinks a ship takes all the chests and trinkets, and the more ships that are sunk or stolen from by the kraken the larger the loot drop for whoever killed it would be.

I like this part. Definitely gives a reason to fight. The skeleton one is pretty good as well. I can imagine them grabbing the loot and laughing at you as they are diving back into the water.

• @lifewcoke said in Loot Lottery:

@a-cranky-eskimo said in Loot Lottery:

I like this part. Definitely gives a reason to fight. The skeleton one is pretty good as well. I can imagine them grabbing the loot and laughing at you as they are diving back into the water.

alt text

I'd dive over JUST to kill that one skeleton, And probably all his crew. lol.

• @lifewcoke any thoughts on how to improve the meg idea? That one was the most improvised when I posted the idea lol. Though it would be cool, maybe if the shark does the bump attack it also drops the anchor (from such a heavy impact lol?) Incase the whole crew gets knocked off, but I kinda like it being dangerous too.

• @a-cranky-eskimo Meg is a bit more difficult for me to imagine. One thing I can think of would incorporate the breach mechanic that is currently in place when it spawns. Similar to Jaws and what Great Whites do off of South Africa, Meg would be able to breach the water onto your ship and "suck up" stuff like your kraken idea. This would be a bit more difficult with a galleon though.

I also think somehow incorporating the puking mechanic would be fun. Not sure quite how that would work though.

• @a-cranky-eskimo said in Loot Lottery:

The megalodon would get a new attack that would ram the ship to bounce players off, and any players that is killed would add a foul skull to the drop, aswell as any skulls that were on any ship that sunk, increasing the megs drop for whoever kills it.

I love this. These behaviors sound fun and functionally, if its a stress on the servers, they don't actually have to track anything. The 4 behaviors listed- shark eating players, meg and kraken occasionally fleeing, sharks dropping skulls and kraken dropping chests- could all be fairly random and it would still be a very satisfying buff to the current state of 'bosses.'

• @baldmunkee that would be better than nothing but I think they can find a creative solution, such as instead of the servers holding the items there should be some sort of system that just keeps track of number and type of loot and then despawn them as the boss collects it, and respawns whatever the list says when the boss is defeated, rather than the items being physically kept in limbo somewhere on the server or something.

Or maybe all servers or groups of A few servers would be interconnected, which would leave more chance for them to actually have some decent amount of loot, and be more similar to a lottery.

I mean players have already proven that they can hold thousands of items on a ship by buying off the servers ingame and taking shifts playing, so idk why they can’t figure out a way to do it with bosses that would work.

• @a-cranky-eskimo I still think the thematic elements of your idea are good and answer that age old question of "Why was that wolf (Kraken) carrying a +1 Crown of Selfie-taking?" quite neatly.

From a purely practical (programming) standpoint, I just don't know that it functionally matters at all to actually track the treasure grabbed by the beasts, as no one can "chase" the creature or verify that they got something dropped by someone else earlier.

I DM a lot of tabletop RPG games, and I find the same thing to be true: I can take great pains to lay out the specific location tiles of each trap and the hitpoints of each door in a dungeon... and they will never interact with most of my 'homework.' OR, I can have more fun, write down some trap triggers and how to detect them and my team will never know the difference. This is one of those situations where Rare could be a detailed loot-tracking-simulator and accurately give back to the community everything that we had taken... or just make the things take and give loot (that makes sense) and either way we will be happy and argue about how its happening. :)

• @baldmunkee yeah I hear you, as long as the loot that is taken somehow increases the loot that is dropped, even if not the same specific items, I would be very happy with this addition.

A way for legends to hunt the beasts/ships as another social thing that they can help with would be cool too.

• @a-cranky-eskimo This is actually brilliant! It would add a new dynamic to the game without having do do much work internally! I can just see beast hunt quests and all that! And it would really give people a reason to actually engage in the fights.

They would be more of a help than a hindrance!

• They all already want to sink our ships and kill us, and now you want them to take our loot too!? No thanks!

...actually it might be okay if they kill the entire crew AND sink the boat 1st; just not before then.

• @galactic-geek I see your point but I mean the options I said would only happen if for the kraken you left loot on the top deck, the meg would just gain loot for eating players, and the skeletons would only take loot easily if it was on the top deck and you didn’t kill them. It would just add another dynamic to each fight, and make them more diverse and feel different rather than them all just creating the same holes to patch.

The main point though is that the loot drop increases the longer each goes unkilled, and that each has a loot pool specific to a different trading company.

Views
1 out of 13