Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0

• @williamherschel Boat seems fine regarding texturing but the islands... what an ugly stuff right there :( only getting texture detail very near the sand. If im on the boat looking at the island.. ugly AF

• @lifewcoke said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

@harlton-cheston They are mentioned in the Cursed Sails Campaign and New Threats sections.

I think maybe he was wondering if they're in the game as a new supply item type (it seems likely that they're not, and only part of skeleton ship combat).

• @cyenz-1904 said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

@williamherschel Boat seems fine regarding texturing but the islands... what an ugly stuff right there :( only getting texture detail very near the sand. If im on the boat looking at the island.. ugly AF

Quite honestly, I just think it's ridiculous how little detail Rare gives us regarding their performance optimization stuff. I'm nearly certain that the Xbox One X version of the game has had a significant decreases across the board in graphics settings, but I have no way of pin pointing exactly what they're doing because they put next to nothing in the patch notes.

SoT was one of the reasons I bought an Xbox One X, I thought they would continue to improve graphical fidelity and frame rate, instead the game looks basically indistinguishable from it's Xbox One counterpart. It's just really frustrating, that through out the alpha they made vague promises about how great the Xbox One X version would be, only to give us this.

• @williamherschel I very well could have misinterpreted his comment but they did say that they did not see any mention in the patch notes/dev update. I would have expected them to have their own separate callout in the notes though, something to make them stand out a bit more.

• Now this update started of with a real curse for me: SoT doesn't start anymore, i have to reinstall it.
    That's very annoying, to say the least. Now i have to redownload nearly 30GB, which means i'm missing this evening completely. -.-

• Has anyone found the new chest yet? There was no mention in the patch notes.

Also what's the deal with alliances, how do they work and what's the split ratio for loot?

*I'm at "work" and playing vicariously through you guys

@williamherschel I very well could have misinterpreted his comment but they did say that they did not see any mention in the patch notes/dev update. I would have expected them to have their own separate callout in the notes though, something to make them stand out a bit more.

Yeah, I was trying to interpret it as best as I could :) I'm also just really disappointed that cursed canon balls are not something that players can actually use.

• @williamherschel yes, and one thing that bothers me is the sea quality, compared to the PC version is night and day :( and since we are basically looking at water 99% of time it would make sense that would invest on that department. I would glady take dynamic resolution with added effects than native 4k as it currently is.

Anisotropic Filtering is disabled on Xbox one X, textures only appeared detailed 1 meter ahead, only bilinear filtering in place. horrible regression in terms of visual quality

This has to be an oversight. Hopefully it gets patched quickly, although I probably won't even notice with my horrible vision.

• @williamherschel said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

I'm also just really disappointed that cursed canon balls are not something that players can actually use.

Wait, wait, wait, so you are telling me we do not get to use the cursed cannonballs? Only the NPC ships get them? W*F!

@williamherschel yes, and one thing that bothers me is the sea quality, compared to the PC version is night and day :( and since we are basically looking at water 99% of time it would make sense that would invest on that department. I would glady take dynamic resolution with added effects than native 4k as it currently is.

I'm just tired of it. They made a ton of vague promises about how great the Xbox One X version of SoT would be during the alpha, and then low key rolled out that version and still fail to explain to users what the road map is for the Xbox One X (or if there even is one).

• Ran into the issue of finishing the side quest but the shipwrirght never have me the reward as the dialogue didn't change, I was with two other pirates one who unlocked it instantly and the other was later so I assume it must be the servers catching up, I will be trying again in an hour, just for anyone else encountering this issue

@williamherschel said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

I'm also just really disappointed that cursed canon balls are not something that players can actually use.

Wait, wait, wait, so you are telling me we do not get to use the cursed cannonballs? Only the NPC ships get them? W*F!

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to piece together. I think that may have been what @Harlton-Cheston was getting at. I'm still at work, so I haven't had a chance to try the update, but at this point it seems very likely. I've seen no indication that players can actually use cursed cannon balls. If anyone can prove me wrong on this I'd appreciate it.

• @williamherschel Can't use them til after the event I believe

• @defunctwhale said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

@williamherschel Can't use them til after the event I believe

Yeah, that's kinda what I assumed... although I still don't know if it's been stated anywhere explicitly. I'm guessing the usual suspects will be quick to claim this is for lore reasons.

• @williamherschel @LIFEWCOKE

Yes, I missed it when I read the notes! I'm looking forward to seeing them in action!

• @williamherschel said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

@defunctwhale said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

@williamherschel Can't use them til after the event I believe

Yeah, that's kinda what I assumed... although I still don't know if it's been stated anywhere explicitly. I'm guessing the usual suspects will be quick to claim this is for lore reasons.

I remember Neate talking somewhere about how the skeletons would introduce them first. I think it was in one of the videos

• I can never remember what time the update drops!! Can someone jog my memory please?

• @vat1canwarl0ck It's usually between 10am - 4pm BST - BTW It's live now !!!!! :D :D :D

• Ok seriously guys legendary sails 500k a flag 50k hull 500k and figure head locked unless Athena 10 just a horrible decision on that one!

• Sigh... I was hoping for further refinement of the core experience with this patch. Further refinement of gold hoarders quests (especially riddle quests), further questlines for OOS, different merchant quests, or maybe a new faction to level up... I know I know bilge rats but yah....

• Also, can we move the skeleton ships away from the edge of the map.... seriously.

• @sirliborius I have the exact same problem. I couldn't launch the game at all when I had the update installed. I'm doing the same thing you're doing right now. Did it work? Were you able to play the game after installing it again?

• Well i defeated the Crew of the Dancing Demon and i got the commendation protector of the wilds and such. Wasnt i supposed to get a set of sails for that?

• @arcticwolf125 said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

Well i defeated the Crew of the Dancing Demon and i got the commendation protector of the wilds and such. Wasnt i supposed to get a set of sails for that?

You get the the sails after you complete the story line, Once you get the sails you can unlock 3 commendation if your fleet is all using the region sail when you defeat the last ship.

• @hammeric So its gonna be after the 3 weeks of the event? or just this week?

• @treefittymonsta said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

Sigh... I was hoping for further refinement of the core experience with this patch. Further refinement of gold hoarders quests (especially riddle quests), further questlines for OOS, different merchant quests, or maybe a new faction to level up... I know I know bilge rats but yah....

I also hoped for core gameplay loop improvements since this was a ‘big’ update, but only expected what they’ve provided thus far: bare minimum and uninspired but gorgeous looking functionality (when not bugged/broken/graphically downgraded).

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any new depth of content to merit their ‘big’ claim, just another superficial limited-time event/boss fight/quest, during which forts (the only other shallow but concrete activity to participate in) are disabled.

I’m still waiting to see a tangible reason to explore (cartography, gather crafting supplies), crafting, cooking, fishing, dungeons/raids with complexities beyond waves of mindless skeleton AI, voyage variety and complexity, merchant ships and cities to pillage, player driven economy, claimable sovriegnty to provide PvP goals, sidegrade ship upgrades, enemy variety, mini/world bosses that yield unique cosmetics (as advertised by Rare), etc.

To me those features would be part of a ‘big’ update because just adding small ‘things’ to a game does not add meaningful content.

I plan to try it out for a little with the wife, but expect to put it back down after a session or two until their next attempt. Best of luck to everyone on their adventures.

• @itsporkchopfu said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

@treefittymonsta said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

Sigh... I was hoping for further refinement of the core experience with this patch. Further refinement of gold hoarders quests (especially riddle quests), further questlines for OOS, different merchant quests, or maybe a new faction to level up... I know I know bilge rats but yah....

I also hoped for core gameplay loop improvements since this was a ‘big’ update, but only expected what they’ve provided thus far: bare minimum and uninspired but gorgeous looking functionality (when not bugged/broken/graphically downgraded).

Unfortunately, I haven’t seen any new depth of content to merit their ‘big’ claim, just another superficial limited-time event/boss fight/quest, during which forts (the only other shallow but concrete activity to participate in) are disabled.

I’m still waiting to see a tangible reason to explore (cartography, gather crafting supplies), crafting, cooking, fishing, dungeons/raids with complexities beyond waves of mindless skeleton AI, voyage variety and complexity, merchant ships and cities to pillage, player driven economy, claimable sovriegnty to provide PvP goals, sidegrade ship upgrades, enemy variety, mini/world bosses that yield unique cosmetics (as advertised by Rare), etc.

To me those features would be part of a ‘big’ update because just adding small ‘things’ to a game does not add meaningful content.

I plan to try it out for a little with the wife, but expect to put it back down after a session or two until their next attempt. Best of luck to everyone on their adventures.

@itsporkchopfu said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

@treefittymonsta said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

Yah. I'll play alittle longer. But this is definitely not what I consider a big update. Tuck content into the corner of the map..... Sigh. These ships should be roaming the sea not tucked away in a corner...

Oh something else that grinds my gears can we separate in game music from music that plays when u hit an enemy ship... I like listening to my own music but if I turn off in game music it turns off the hit music during pvp also.

• @arcticwolf125 said in Release Notes Discussion - 1.2.0:

@hammeric So its gonna be after the 3 weeks of the event? or just this week?

Unfortunately this all we get for the next three weeks. Hopefully the next week's event gets them out of the corner of. the map

• @treefittymonsta i think that they put them there for a reason so you would've come across them by accident while sailing on your way they put them out of the way so if they were found they would have wanted to be found.

• Hi, I'm wondering if it was a bug but, we made, in alliance with another ship an entire battle but when we came to sell all the tresaure we shared gold but absolutly no xp for reputation ????? Is it normal ? =(

• @natthou16 possible unintended bug. Or intenstional so people can’t cheese Athena by using other crews.

• I really hope it's a bug ... because taking down those galleons alone its just impossible alone, and no reputation in alliance would be disapointed =(

• This is an absolute blast! :D I only had time to jump in for about half an hour yesterday, but it was fun.

First I got scared because of the skeleton sound on the oputpost. Then, I bought a bunch of stuff cheap. The Hunter Set is my fav so far, but there is a little chance I ever get my hands on Bone Crusher set alone.

I tried the new ship alone and I am surprised how easy it is to control it alone. I am happy with it! Also I fought a skeleton ship. They made me sick with a cursed canon ball, something I did not expect. I boarded their ship and it was fun to see skeletons do what people do: wait at the ladder with a shotgun when I climb up. Nice AI.
    I lost naturally, but it was at least 10 minutes of fighting.

But so far it is a very good time! I can't wait for weekend to play it more!

Views
1 out of 158