Red Mermaid Statue vs My Lonesome Self

• So I was playing by myself earlier today (trying to get up my merchants rank), and I ended up at Devil's Ridge. As soon as I got there, I could hear a mermaid statue nearby, in fact I could see it. Right there in shallow water was a red mermaid statue.

I already completed destroying every mermaid statue in needed to (Legendary Curse Breaker title is mine...), but I saw this statue and wondered if I could destroy it myself.

I learned from previous statues that you can get close enough to hit them with the tip of your sword and be far enough to not take any damage from the statues (which is how I'm able to destroy green ones by myself easily) but I have never been able to get a red one destroyed by myself, but this statue was in a good location to try it out by myself cause I didn't need to be submerged in water to get it.

I went for it. I found the right spot for me to hit it with the tip of my sword and not take damage from it. I kept hitting it over and over again, trying to listen if any skeletons might spawn in.

My finger kept hitting the right trigger on my Xbox and I kept focusing on listening for any skeletons. Over and over again I was still hitting the statue.

I heard something, but it was my cat meowing for attention. Made me jump a bit, but I continued. My mind started playing tricks on me. I was so focused on listening for any skeletons to spawn, that every sound I heard it would almost jump, but then realize what the sound was.

"Skeleton!? No, a motorcycle outside. Skeletons!? No, my cat. Not now Lynx. C**p! No, just my chair creaking a bit..."

It felt like an eternity went by. I was still hitting the statue, but nothing was stopping me. Again and again hitting the statue. When will it break? Anyone gonna stop me?

After awhile, the statue was close to breaking. "Come on now!" I said, excited I made it this far and it was close. "I know it's pointless, but I want to be able to say 'I did it'".

After minutes of hitting the thing, it finally broke. I did it. Talk about pointless, but now I can officially say, "I broke a red mermaid statue by myself. No help."

I know I can't possibly be the only out there who has done that. I got lucky that it was in the shallow water, I could breath air while attacking it close enough with the tip of my sword but far enough to not take damage from it easily, and no skeletons, anyone or anything stopped me, but I did it none the less.

Personal achievement unlocked, Soloman Red Mermaid Destroyer...

Views
  • Well done on your achievement and your persistence.

I read in a post somewhere that 56 hits would do it so when I found one in the shallows of Crescent Isle yesterday I tested the theory but unfortunately after about 150 I still couldn't break it.
    It seemed at times the mermaid cracks would be expanding further but unless timing was perfect it would always heal too fast.
    I also tried positioning my sloop nearby and managed 8/10 close hits with cannonballs. Cannon shot number 11 was me and I arrived to see it ringed by burn marks but no damage.

Can you give an estimate of how many sword hits it took for you?

• @thegreatluthe Well done, i got this "personal achievement" too, and it was tense for the whole time it took.

In my case the water was deep enough for a shark to join in. He crossed my screen two times, which looked like in a cartoon and could have used some generic meme sounds.
    Then he just took one bite of me, i struck him with the cutlass one time and he turned tail, so i could finish of the mermaid.
    Was quite lucky that this didn't take too much time, only a short interruption.

• @pirateswill I'm not sure how many sword hits it took...I just know it took minutes to destroy. My guess is 300 sword hits, but what do I know...

• I had a similar experience the Rudy statue was nearly on the shore. I anchored my ship and was able to hit it with cannonballs. I went thru at least 40 and the thing didnt shatter. I got fed up and just left haha

Views
1 out of 5