Visually Impaired Pirates

• So... something that I don't often broadcast to fellow seafarers is that I don't actually see all that too well sometimes...
    I'm 32 in a couple of weeks and had Cataracts removed when I was 21... Young, but not the youngest Pirate to go through the surgery. As a result of it I have fixed focal length in both eyes - the left sees short distance and the right long, or it should had I not suffered a secondary Cataract a couple of years ago that took some distance out of the vision!

Anyways, due to the Cataract surgery and a couple of other random complaints with my eyes I have mixed vision depending on light, fatigue, time played and of course - floaters - a term used to describe cells you can actually see floating around your eyes - most have these, but for some it is a problem as your eye doesn't always drain them.

My point to this post is thus - do you have any condition or complaint that makes the game hard to see, but that Rare can't really fix? For me it's those pesky birds signalling a sunken ship, as for me they either disappear due to the LOD and draw distance (can be fixed), or they may look inadvertently like something in my field of vision!

Views
  • @sshteeve I've been blessed with good eyesight, mostly I'm corsseyed (-Left +Right) but simple glasses solve that. And good Hearing.

A few mates I team up with have Hearing problems, attention disorders (just standing AFK because of distractions) and colour blindness (I often get asked what colour gem the statues have).

• @hynieth My brother in law is colour blind - the new colour blind fixes should have helped a lot of players.

• @sshteeve
    I have a minor case of night-blindness which in combination with my slightly reflective TV will cause me to almost see nothing on the screen when I play during the day and it's dark ingame. Even on spots where you should normally be able to see at least something, I sometimes have trouble to see.

I've already switched my curtains since I started playing the game so the reflection is a lot less, however I still at times stumble against walls and have trouble figuring out where I need to go when it's dark. The lantern definitely helps, but unfortunately you can't hold the lantern and a weapon which means it usually end up with fighting blind or fleeing with a lantern.

This problem isn't as bad when I play on PC, because the monitor is much closer, positioned away from the window and doesn't reflect at all. However I usually only play on PC when my gf wants to use the TV and that's usually only in the evening. Ofc I could play on the PC during the day, but I prefer to just chill on the couch in front of my TV, which means just accepting that sometimes I will hardly see :)

Oh I made the mistake of googling "Blind pirate", I should not have done that :)

• @sshteeve Yeah that's what my buddy said as well, but the Mermaid statues are annoying to spot the difference between Blue and Green I think it was, or red?

But we rarely play alone so we always have eachother to rely on.

• I kinda brought this up in the deaf thread before Colour-Blind integration.

It's not really a complaint or concern but an observation. Visually impaired players are missing out if they're not using the controller due the vibration function.

If something could be added, enable amplified visual and/or audial cues. The audio could be an added level above the max (?) and perhaps slight filter frame that could be toggled to coincide with the audial cues.

..let me also plug www.ablegamers.org. The origination isn't just about raising money for impaired/disabled gamers but also about providing services like equipment, tutorials, guidance, and work-arounds in order to overcome various game barriers.

• One thing I forgot to mention is the font size for the text.

When I can't use mic, I resort to the text chat and typing.

Being able to enlarge the font can better the crew experience if voice chat isn't an option.

• @sshteeve aye, ‘twas a blessing when the Colorblind settings and an option to invert the color of the Xs were added, because until then, everything was a bit meshed together and confusing. I could never do Solo GH because I couldn’t see a damn thing on the map.

• @Sshteeve
    Damn. That is very young to have your cataracts removed.
    I'm 56 and although my cataracts are fine for my age I do suffer some macular degeneration.
    My eye sight has never been great but I used to see better at night than my peers.
    This game is sometimes way too dark for me even though I recently bought a quality new monitor about 3 weeks ago, so I know it's not that.
    We shouldn't have to change our brightness setting just for one game then change it back again when we quit.

• @admiral-rrrsole Yeah my eyes have been messed with that much they don't adjust well to bright and dark - the night lighting in the game can really do me sometimes!

• @sshteeve I'd imagine so.
    Although glare isn't your main problem it has some relevance to your situation. Have you tried a curved monitor? Perhaps check them out in stores.

• @sshteeve I just read a topic that had a great and yet so simple solution about your problem.

It suggested that the seaguls should make sound!

Find the topic and give it a like! (Sorry I don't know how to link) Lots of others allready did I'm sure Rare picks it up!

• @boldgame said in Visually Impaired Pirates:

@sshteeve I just read a topic that had a great and yet so simple solution about your problem.

It suggested that the seaguls should make sound!

Find the topic and give it a like! (Sorry I don't know how to link) Lots of others allready did I'm sure Rare picks it up!

Cheers for the mention fella, It's actually what inspired me to make this post yesterday having read it. Such a simple fix to the problem - the statues can make enough noise for us to hear from shore, so it's doable to add in some gull sounds!

Views
12 out of 13