Introducing the Boatswains

• This is absoloulty perfect! I truly hope this carries over in to the game. for a while now I've thought the game needed some type of status beyond legend that indicated top tier players who are friendly to the community. I hope that's what this can be. Great job Rare!

• That is cool!

I saw it for a second few days ago when pioneers forums area disappeared and boatswains appeared. And then it all turned back to normal :D

• Congrats to all the new Boatswains.
    All was ask is that you continue being awesome!

• @katttruewalker off topic
    Do you have RARE sail ?

• For all the nicest people, the nicest things :) Cheers everyone!

• @personalc0ffee said in Introducing the Boatswains:

I like the idea and the group.

Adhering to the pirate code isn't just a rule, it's the way on the seas. It's to be respected. I think it is fantastic we reward those who uphold the code.

alt text

Agreed!

I raise me grog to ye, Boatswain @personalc0ffee... an' to all the other Boatswains as well. Yar!

• @fgfoot said in Introducing the Boatswains:

@katttruewalker off topic
    Do you have RARE sail ?

No, but we do have a nifty Deckhand sail which is quite rare.. ;)

• good idea ! nice job

• Right, i'll be the grumpy face of reasoning then!!

What is the actual point of this new group??
    Is it for Rare to be able to select their 'White Knights' who will defend the game no matter what?
    Or is it for the 'yes men' who agree with all Rare's ideals??
    Or is it just a lame attempt at trying to get everyone to 'play nicely' on the forums in the hope of obtaining a shiny badge??

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy for those selected, but am kind of at a loss to the point??
    No authority or responsibilities, no official duties, so why bother??
    We know who the helpful forumites are & there are lots more helpful ones in their own way, why does Rare find the need to point them out??

• @logansdadtoo said in Introducing the Boatswains:

But....but.....that also applies to the 3 titles you currently have (One of which I also have). So why bother having them as well?

Simple answer: it's cool and fun :)

• @khaleesibot how does one become a Boatswain?

• @oneeyed-w1lliam
    The other 3 tags are for taking part in testing & actually helping with the game development, so they had meaning & worth.
    To be a founder & pioneer you had to agree to an NDA, & so did come with some responsibilities!
    I'm sorry, but this is just Rare picking favourites!

• @logansdadtoo guess im not a fav
    hands in pockets, kicks rock

@oneeyed-w1lliam
    The other 3 tags are for taking part in testing & actually helping with the game development, so they had meaning & worth.
    I'm sorry, but this is just Rare picking favourites!

Welp...I tried. In any case. I like to think of Boatswains as the "unofficial official welcoming committee" lol

• Geez, you guys are handing out more badges and titles than the russian army.

I do like the idea, although i think that it could turn out to be a bit one sided but we'll see. You can uphold the pirate code and make contributions to the community without defending this game 24/7.

• @simplybutta
    Join the club m8 ;)
    We can all be helpful & positive in our own way.
    It's just whether or not you meet Rare's 'helpful' criteria or if your face fits!!
    I mean how can you be a Boatswain if you have had a ban?
    That seems to be a bit contradictory, as the Boatswains are supposed to be 'fairminded but respectful of the Pirate Code and Forum Rules'

• Nice to see a generally nice person title ^_^

• Good stuff!

• @khaleesibot seems like a nice simple way to promote positivity within the game. I welcome the idea whether I am lucky enough to be selected or not. Keep up the good work and keep bringing us plenty more content without straying to far from the original ideas you guys at rare have/had. 👍🏽

• Congratulations!! for theses who have ascended the Monkey tower @Thor-von-Blitz .

don't you just love rare they just keep giving ? lol

its a shame they remove things from other players

former pioneer GTA

Right, i'll be the grumpy face of reasoning then!!

Is it for Rare to be able to select their 'White Knights' who will defend the game no matter what?
    Or is it just a lame attempt at trying to get everyone to 'play nicely' on the forums in the hope of obtaining a shiny badge??

Don't get me wrong, i'm happy for those selected, but am kind of at a loss to the point??
    We know who the helpful forumites are & there are lots more helpful ones in their own way, why does Rare find the need to point them out??

I think this is like the MVP system on the WoW forums. These titles are given to players that are positive and helpful in the community. They are free to say their opinions about anything (in a respectful manner), even if they disagree with some of the decisions the company makes.

This is simply something nice that was given to those that participate in the forums and make it a better place. Even if it's something as simple as answering the questions of new players.

There are many other helpful players here and they will probably get it as well at some point. This was only the first wave.

• @khaleesibot can't wait to be a part of it!🍌

• @drbullhammer
    Like i said Bully, i'm happy for the guys & gals who have been selected, but as you said yourself, in yours & my eyes there are many more pirates out there much more deserving of recognition.
    I may be coming across as salty coz i wasn't selected, but far from it, i just really don't get it!
    We all try & help the community in our own way, so what makes 1 member better than another??

Right, i'll be the grumpy face of reasoning then!!

Boatswains are players who are fairminded and positive members of the community. That doesn't mean they agree with everything we do, or are our biggest fans. It means that although they may disagree with us or with other members of the community, they remember the human behind it. They are respectful, they are mindful of the rules and they work hard to ensure the community is welcoming.

We know that for many pirates in our community their love of Sea of Thieves is the only thing they have in common. Differences of opinions will happen and often in heated ways, but we hope that in all conversations people are respectful of each other. Boatswains have no official duties, because this is to celebrate members of our community who continue to be positive impact in our community. You're right there are more people to come, we hope to add to this list regularly!

• nice, I like the addition of titles.

• @ant-heuser-kush
    Well as khaleesi put this 'they are mindful of the rules' they shouldn't be!!

• @ant-heuser-kush
    Well i'm sure at least 1 of those selected has had a prior ban, so sticking to the rules doesn't seem to be a prerequisite ;)

• @ant-heuser-kush this is just my personal view, but i don't think a previous ban (if it wasn't for something really really bad) should be a problem. Everyone can make a mistake or get into a heated argument on a bad day sometimes.

• @sir-lotus said in Introducing the Boatswains:

@ant-heuser-kush this is just my personal view, but i don't think a previous ban (if it wasn't for something really really bad) should be a problem. Everyone can make a mistake or get into a heated argument on a bad day sometimes.

I for a fact know at least one of the boatswains had some slight logging in problems for a period of 48 hours due to a heated discussion :)
    As you said everyone makes mistakes, as long as you're not in the habit of doing it often it's all fine.

• Is there a way to get the "Boatswain"-logo in a larger resolution? I've got an idea.

• @ant-heuser-kush

That helps and kills my idea equally. ;(

• Great idea!!! :)

• @dmxbox Here it is anyway....

Views
11 out of 267