Where is that ship?

• Please, please, please... When you announce the presence of a sail on the horizon, or a flock of birds indicating a possible shipwreck, learn to know how to direct others to look in the right direction, as follows:
    alt text
    SurveyorPete

Views
  • @surveyorpete Some nice work there matey!

Although I am all on trying to remember the directions on a clock face....

"Ship at 3 o clock... Wait, no... 9... Wait no I was right the first time 3 o clock"

I will try remember some of these directions, although I make no promises.

• Everyone is trained to use the compass for various things so my crew uses bearings for call outs. Example Sloop spotted West heading South by South West. This way even if they are on the island doing a mission they can check there compass quickly and determine if they need to head back . Every crew is different we like a lot of information if we see a ship it's called out and whether it's close or far.

• @surveyorpete It is a nice overview, but for most people who learned english as a foreign language this is quite complex and difficult to get right.
    So i prefer to stick to the compass to give directions.

• @sirliborius sagte in Where is that ship?:

@surveyorpete It is a nice overview, but for most people who learned english as a foreign language this is quite complex and difficult to get right.
    So i prefer to stick to the compass to give directions.

So am I

• Yeah, that isn't going to happen. If you are playing on a roleplay crew, I guess you'd want to do that...

But we are talking about landlubbers who are in the game pretending to be sailors. Left and Right, front and back is all you are going to get realistically.

If your lucky.. you might get compass directions.. as those are built into the dialog wheel.

I always get confused on port and starboard as it is.. and I at least even KNOW that those terms exist. You sit there and call out.. shipwreck on port side.. People are gonna start looking toward the nearest outpost. Or look back and forth trying to remember which one is port... is it the left or the right?

• Left, right, front, and back also works. Just sayin. ^_^

• I prefer compass too because it's less of a mess when the ship is turning. North will always be North. If you say starboard, I will check the compass so I won't lose track of the ship.

Children, use the compass.

• I just pull my compass out and share the direction.

• @puck269

Way I always remembered was port has four letters left has four letters, dunno why just worked for me.

• The navigation lights on a ship are red for port, and green for starboard, so just remember...

“There is some RED PORT (wine) LEFT in the bottle”

• I think it depends a lot on how far away something is or if it’s isolated or easily missed without detailed information as well.

A vessel on the horizon I’ll say something like, hey sloop distant east off the port bow. This lets everbody know A general direction to look, if they choose, based on the ships orientation. Adding the cardinal direction gives a detailed location indicator if they choose to glass it themselves.

If a vessel is danger close, or just a general nearby object in the open I would just say port starboard aft etc. evaluate if it’s close enough to be spotted by anyone who simply looks in that general direction.

If you say left I know what you mean, if I say aft and you say huh? I’ll say to the rear. Some of us are more comfortable with nautical terms then others but it’s fine either way imo as long as there is good communication. For me it’s strange not to use nautical terms but I understand not everyone feels the same way.

• @surveyorpete said in Where is that ship?:

Please, please, please... When you announce the presence of a sail on the horizon, or a flock of birds indicating a possible shipwreck, learn to know how to direct others to look in the right direction, as follows:
    alt text
    Be More Pirate!

Compass works better :)

Galleon to the SW, pull out your compass and look SW.

• best way to remember the port and starboard is port is a 4 letter word, so is left

• @warlordwoody22

lol brilliant

• @bearcubbin said in Where is that ship?:

@surveyorpete said in Where is that ship?:

Please, please, please... When you announce the presence of a sail on the horizon, or a flock of birds indicating a possible shipwreck, learn to know how to direct others to look in the right direction, as follows:
    alt text
    Be More Pirate!

Compass works better :)

Galleon to the SW, pull out your compass and look SW.

Only better if you don't know the terms! If you DO know the terms, you don't have to touch your controller and you already know what's what.

Most of the time, I get blank, pixelated pirate stares when I just say "Off the Port Bow," but with a savvy crew, it feels SOO much more pirate!

• @captain-arcanic
    Yeah I don't trust my friends that much to learn a maritime system. I have basically taught my crew from their very first day, "the compass is your best friend."

I had a nightmare with my brother. Not only was he not using the compass , but the front of the boat (in his eyes) was always north. No matter what direction it truly was. "Galleon to the west of us!" No Kalin... That's North East... Haha

So for a whole week, literally, I would ask him what direction we were heading, so he would use his compass. I got everyone to hotkey the compass to their keyboards and d-pad on Xbox. (Mine is left on d-pad). So after training a bunch of adults how to use directions (ridiculous I know), I would be willing to bet that teaching them proper maritime directions would be like trying to teach a rock how to swim. :) Now if I were to play with another crew who was using them, I would use them too. My dad was American Navy and he used those terms on his pontoon boat haha. Last time I played with my IRL friends I said "sloop to starboard", and everyone ran to the back of the galleon...

• @blackbeard-lufy said in Where is that ship?:

Left, right, front, and back also works. Just sayin. ^_^

Not necessarily. Those terms are relative, but to who or what? They can still cause confusion. It's like being in a group and yelling, "behind you!" But behind who? Will everyone turn around? To avoid this confusion, you can use the compass, as many already do.

• @warlordwoody22 said in Where is that ship?:

Way I always remembered was port has four letters left has four letters, dunno why just worked for me.

That's cool! I'll keep this in mind as well. I have always remembered it by using starboard rather than Port.

Q: How do you get to Neverland?
    A: "second STAR to the right, and straight on till morning"

...Starboard is to the right...

• @surveyorpete said in Where is that ship?:

alt text
    Be More Pirate!

This is very neat! Thanks for sharing!

• lol If someone use those terms, I will get really confused. Much more than I get with the normal "behind us" or "on the left, close to the nose of the ship" lol. Ohhh! There`s the "over there!" I just love when ppl say it lol

• @silverback-4335

Clever lol. exactly that, finding whatever works for you for association

• This is a cool bit of info, but remember that many in this community refer to docking and/or anchoring their vessel as “parking” it...

Views
1 out of 23